68 Barracuda 340 water pump , timing cover question ???

-

RON REAGLE

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 340 in my 68 Barracuda has the water pump with the drivers side outlet and the timing cover has the timing tab on the right side of the engine. I found the harmonic dampener has "ground" a groove in the timing tab (see picture) trying to figure out what will correct the problem but I'm not positive what's "correct" for my car?

IMG_0570.JPG

Most likely the elastomer ring has let loose in the crank damper allowing the outer ring to move and hit your timing cover. Your damper is now junk as there is no relaible way to rebuild it.
The front of your engine is known in the Mopar world as a pre 1970 configuration.
You will need to source a direct stock replacement damper as the after market does not offer a fancy SFI rated piece for a pre 1970 that has the correct timing mark location.
Good luck

Last edited:
My 340 in my 68 Barracuda has the water pump with the drivers side outlet and the timing cover has the timing tab on the right side of the engine. I found the harmonic dampener has "ground" a groove in the timing tab (see picture) trying to figure out what will correct the problem but I'm not positive what's "correct" for my car?

View attachment 1715683026
I have a spare factory stock pre 70 damper if you need a cheap one.

View attachment 1715683026
Auto trans or shifter car?

Regardless of "whut", here, when you get it fixed use a piston stop to check the marks for accuracy. I guess you are aware? That there are early/ late setups with the water pump outlet on the opposite side, so mixing parts can result in confusion.

Yeah, check the endplay on the crank first. If it's within specs, harmonic balancer is probably the culprit.

The is a late '68 cover. Early '68 covers still used the bolt on tab like the earlier small blocks.

Would timing cover with bolt on sheet metal timing tab work on this 340 ?

Here's a couple pics of the dampener. I see a part number on the back side 4173443 ? That part number appears to be a factory style replacement? Looks like it's missing the piece that goes over the seal in the timing cover? Could that be causing the issue ? there also appears to be 4 different timing grooves as well as markings most of the way around the dampener.

My car is an automatic.

512stroker I tried to pm you your inbox is full. Contact me YES I'd like the dampener you offered. An older style timing cover with the metal timing tab would be next as I believe I could tweak it if clearance is an issue?

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

Last edited:
Post #2 is spot on - that's exactly what happened to your damper. This is what it should look like.

20180326_141940.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the dampener. I see a part number on the back side 4173443 ? That part number appears to be a factory style replacement? Looks like it's missing the piece that goes over the seal in the timing cover? Could that be causing the issue ? there also appears to be 4 different timing grooves as well as markings most of the way around the dampener.

My car is an automatic.

512stroker I tried to pm you your inbox is full. Contact me YES I'd like the dampener you offered. An older style timing cover with the metal timing tab would be next as I believe I could tweak it if clearance is an issue?

View attachment 1715683497

View attachment 1715683499

View attachment 1715683500

View attachment 1715683501
That puppy is junk I dont think I have ever seen one that bad, were lucky it did not come apart a collect your fan and radiator.
I cleaned out my inbox

As long as your timing cover doesn't have a hole in it, there's no reason to replace it. Even if there is one, it can be welded closed again. Those covers are not all that easy to find in good usable condition.

Here are some pic's of a pre 70 internal balance crank damper

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

-
Back