70 Dart Custom

-
Ya know,I dont get why anyone would have trouble rebuilding a mopar auto trans.Thier one of the simplest transmissions out there! The 727 and 904 are very similar in design,so if you know one,you wont have too much trouble with the other.

Here's some more pics. Carmen and I finished the front bench yesterday. The driver's side seat back is a tiny bit twisted, and having alignment issues with the seat bottom, so if I get the energy I'll try to twist it, otherwise, I really don't give a damn. This car is built to be a driver, not a total perfect show car, so a bit of alignment issue in the seat isn't a big deal to me.

032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

seat.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

seat4.jpg

Also got a bunch of parts in the mail. Thanks to Cosgig for the one year, one model parts! Very hard to find these door panels, and these woodgrain dash parts.

041.jpg

040.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

042.jpg

Also got a 70 340 air cleaner in the mail, thanks MNDuster!

035-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

Also got a Dodge script emblem from kt340sport, thanks!

037.jpg

I'm going to be changing out the 741 case 3.23 peg leg today for a 489 3.23 SG I picked up a while back.

Nice job, I would bet that most people will not even notice the alignment issue of the seat lines. That car is going to be a lot of fun with the sure-grip in there.

Nice build green is my fave color.Cindy got her choice of color this time around,lucky for her because my dart would of been green what shade don't care.

Peg leg out, SG in.

005.jpg

While the fluid was draining, I sanded down the rallye's and sprayed them with an argent silver wheel paint, and reassembled them. The center caps aren't the greatest, and the trim rings are dinged up, but they look better than before.

Before..

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

After..

007.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

And on the car.

009.jpg

010.jpg

Great looking car!!! I'm a little partial to the 70-72 Darts.. this is a great looking ride. Looks like you're really taking your time and doing things right.. I'm jealous of your interior!!!

Thanks! Onto swapping over the power steering box to a manual steering box today, with the flaming river joint.

Why ? get a copy of the magazine that describes what firm feel does to the boxes to firm them up and do it yourself , thats the one thing wanker did right on my car and it makes it feel real nice on the highway , it was either mopar muscle or mopar action I can't remember which but I know I have it so I'll look later and let you know which one it is and which back issue .

Well, I already have all the parts to do it. If you can find me the article soon, I'll look into it, but I have had the manual box for years, and bought the flaming river conversion joint months ago. I don't have a job anymore, so any new expenses need to be budgeted pretty hard.

I'll dig it out tonight and get back to you tomorrow , the cost is like nothing ,it has something to do with the way the fluid flows through a washer like thing and the thickness of the thing and the size of the hole in it are what it's about ,they didn't /wouldn't say what sizes Firm Feel uses exactly but they did describe how to figure it out by drilling out washer's of different thickness's , What does the "Flaming River " Joint do ? is it a dampener of some sort to take away the harshness ?
Whats up on the job front ? I thought you were just getting some extra weeks between pojects or something ,

The flaming river joint is a to use my power steering column with a manual steering box, instead of trying to find a manual steering column.
And the project ended, so I'm laid off. I'd like to find some work around home.

where are you at with your apprenticeship ? we have a couple of thing happening in the Duncan and Shawnigan {sp?} area I can find out who we're using for the electrical and see if I know their Foremen for you if you like .

I'm a journeyman, but I would still appreciate it, thanks!

the super I'm working under is supposed to move to the big reno job we're doing at Shawnigan lake private school next week {and hopefully leave me behind to run the remainder of this build we're doing for Microsoft } I'll ask him who is doing the electrical and we'll see if they can find a spot , give me a couple of days to glean some info eh , as for the firm feel stuff I don't have a scanner but if you can PM me a fax number I can take the mag to work and fax you the article

A few updates.. started to put the dash back together, and picked the best pieces I have. Thanks to Dartnut and Cosgig, I have a total of 3 dashes for a 70 Dart Custom / 70 Dart GT. I changed out the dash pad, and started to clean up the firewall parts, and painted them. Wiper motor went back in, and while I had the dash apart, I re did the wiper pivot seals.

012-1.jpg

Steering wheel still needs to be changed, and steering column still needs to be cleaned up.

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

Just been tinkering away at it this last week.

Put my Flaming River steering coupler in, to convert my power steering column to a manual steering box.

003-1.jpg

Cleaned the windows and installed new window felts.

002-1.jpg

Installed trunk weather stripping. Also installed trim above doors (not drip rail), and also the weather stripping which the windows roll up to, and the weather stripping which goes around the doors. Installed new door handles and cleaned up the latch mechanism.

070.jpg

Buttoned up the rear valence, and cleaned the rear bumper and installed.

069.jpg

068.jpg

Having a hell of a time trying to get the interior trim which runs from A pillar back to C pillar, above the doors re installed.

I'm also thinking of converting from power brakes to manual, the booster is just so big and ugly. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have front discs, single piston, with 10" rear drums.

sounds like my set up , I have the bigger B body manual brake cylinder and the feel is much better than the old power set up , on the work front the job my buddy is running in Shawnigan lake is being done by Patriot Electric , you know those guy's ?

sounds like my set up , I have the bigger B body manual brake cylinder and the feel is much better than the old power set up , on the work front the job my buddy is running in Shawnigan lake is being done by Patriot Electric , you know those guy's ?

What B body is the master from? Just curious so I know what to ask for at the parts store.
Nope, haven't heard of them. Is this the project listed that's supposed to be 4 - 6 weeks long?

don't know what it's from , it's actually a new master just in the bbody size which is bigger than the abody ,you'll have to search the threads as I remember reading about them here a while back , the Project at the Shawnigan private school is actually 4 or 5 projects they are adding on to 2 dorms , finishing off 2 other buildings and getting ready to start a large siesmic upgrade / remodel of another large old character building so i believe they are looking at another 6-8 months but I`m not sure of the specific timelines .

-
Back