72 duster Build progress

-
real close to plum crazy.....but that metal flake looks terrible in my opinion. not my thing lol.

Id say just stick to plum crazy....but thats on you.

and I missed your post until now but the difference in the rears is mine is the clutch style sure grip which has friction plates in it and I would describe it as looking like a drum with a bolt on lid. The cone style center section has springs in it and is shaped different and an open rear obviously would have a large opening in it that you could see the spider gears and what not.

there are other differences in them but I dont claim to be an expert so I wont try to name them off lol. but its easy to find info on if you do a search and see for yourself.

hows your project coming along buddy?

Hopefully I'll luck out like that when I eventually chase down a suregrip 742 for my Duster (fingers crossed).

Looking forward to the time when you finally get to "test" that chunk out! :burnout:

good luck!.....it was a good surprise that I am glad i found.....unlike when i first started body work on the car and found BAD surprises like when digging into the quarter panels and what not LOL.....we see where that ended up, whole back half of the car basically i ended up replacing.

and yup....im eager to get it out on the road. I just ordered the stupid little lock tab for the axle bearing adjustment.....I couldnt find one anywhere and the only place I could find one was in washington ....so i have to wait for it to ship out.

I am also getting ready to order a new set of tires for the ole girl. I am thinking BFG Radial T/A's. whatcha think?

I also had thought about getting a set of cragar SS wheels but I wanted them the same dimensions as the rallys i have now.....which being small bolt pattern was proving to be a troublesome task. so i think im going to stick with the rallys ( I like them anyhow.....and the previous owner had to of spent good money getting them because they didnt make these sizes from the factory on the dusters lol.

I believe my rear wheels are SBP,15x10or11 and a 5.5" offset.

I would however liek to get trim rings for these wheels if i can find them. of course i cant buy a whole set because I have a staggered set up (14's in front and 15's in the rear.

anyhow, ill keep you guys all up to date on things. stay tuned

real close to plum crazy.....but that metal flake looks terrible in my opinion. not my thing lol.

Id say just stick to plum crazy....but thats on you.

and I missed your post until now but the difference in the rears is mine is the clutch style sure grip which has friction plates in it and I would describe it as looking like a drum with a bolt on lid. The cone style center section has springs in it and is shaped different and an open rear obviously would have a large opening in it that you could see the spider gears and what not.

there are other differences in them but I dont claim to be an expert so I wont try to name them off lol. but its easy to find info on if you do a search and see for yourself.

hows your project coming along buddy?

Yeah the metal flake doesn't come in the paint. They just added it for some dumb reason. The HOK color is 240 for 5 qts. Here are some pictures with out the flake. http://albuquerque.ebayclassifieds....etside-100-frame-off-restoration/?ad=21444652 It is a real tempting color and I believe at times it can look blue. Mine is moving haha. It has been 3-4 months since I took it for bodywork, but I am away for school, so no real big rush. They said the car should be ready for paint first week of September. Now its just time to decide on the color and the HOK Pavo and PPG Plum Crazy are the two to choose from.

That looks really close to plum crazy. maybe a shade darker and a slightly more "electric" shade of purple I guess you could say?.

im not sure what it looks like in person......but my painter aswell as alot of other people have pointed out/complimented on the pearl in my plum crazy......in different lighting it has a shade of blue to it and can get almost pink in areas if the sun hits it right. thats how the color came....not sure if the color spectrum variation is a selling point for you or not but you mentioned the other stuff looked blue at times so i figured id let you know the plum crazy isnt a tame color under lighting either.

either way you go though i think it will look good. that color is real close.

you can also change the way the color looks on how you choose to spray it. I used a medium gray sealer under my color which lightened the purple up.....I also had to use 5 coats to get the purple just where i wanted it. but you could start with a dark gray or a black sealer which would give you a little more darker of a plum crazy....you could run 3 coats for cover then probably....or more if you want to add even more depth. starting with the dark sealer would probably make the color look closer to NEW plum crazy purple like the color they use on the new challengers and what not.

just figured id mention that stuff.

I still cant get my camera to capture the TRUE plum crazy purple.....not even in daylight.....but it looks a brighter and richer in person (those who have plum crazy purple cars may have the same problem with the color not coming out right in pictures?)

anyways....here is a few pictures of the engine bay in the day light....Keep in mind the paint has not been wet sanded or buffed....its that glossy straight from the spray gun.

I have done a bit more work to it but I need to take pictures of it....the kframe is all fresh black aswell as the steering column......shock mount rubbers were cleaned and the retaining plates I wet sanded and polished and I then put gloss black rubber caps on the threads to spiff it up a bit.....I also installed nice shiny new wire loom fire wall clips too.

I will be doing alot more over the next few days to it.

also I started on refurbishing my firewall forward wire harness.....I took pictures of the before but I am only about half way done with it but I will take pictures when it is done.

stay tuned!

DSCI0966.jpg

DSCI0965.jpg

DSCI0957.jpg

DSCI0959.jpg

DSCI0961.jpg

DSCI0967.jpg
These pictures are the ones that made me want the exact color and paint you have.

Yup, all about how the sun hits it and at what angle your looking from. The day I took those pictures it was very sunny out so it showed it in its lighter form.

sorry for the lack of updates guys. right now i am waiting on some parts before I go forward on some things on the duster.

I did however today pick up my brand new set of BFG radial T/A's and they look sharp!......going to try to get them mounted on my wheels some time later this week maybe or early next week.

have also been busy helping my parents out with some things and on top of that......my truck had a fuel line blow on it so i had to drop the tank on it. (previous owner installed a new fuel pump but neglected to instal the clips that go on the lines lol....so the only thing holding the high pressure lines on the sending unit were the o-rings inside the line heads)....im just glad it happened in the driveway and not somewhere out in BFE or if I had my kids with me. im surprised they stayed connected without clips for this long ( I have put 5,000 miles on the truck since i have owned it!).

anyhow, ill be getting more updates on here soon for you guys...so stay tuned.

Got some more done on the duster.....

Got the 8 3/4 all back together and topped off with fluid. Also after all this time of thinking I had a 489 center section for some reason .... I noticed it in fact is a 742!.

Filled my trans up with fluid, changed oil,adjusted my kick down,got my new tires on,painted my drums hemi orange (still have to do the calipers). Went for a test drive to check out the new trans go shift kit....1-2 shift is ridiculous lol. It really hammers down!. BUT I had no 3rd gear!. Came back to check it out and it appears the kickdown cable is binding inside the sheething (think it may have been to close to the exhaust in one spot and melted the inside sheething.) . So I unhooked the kickdown and test drove it and 3rd gear came back...it was holding the kick down open which was not letting it go passed second gear. So now it looks like I have to pick up another kick down cable.

But I'm still making progress. A little slower than I'd like to but I have been real busy with other stuff lately so I have been doing my best to make time for everything.

It wasa blasttodrive it today though. Just a quick 5 minute drive but son of a gun does it turn on!!! And my sure grip works great HAHA

Oh and my new Plymouth hood emblem showed up, I also order some new hid headlights and I ordered a new set of wiper arms. So I should have pictures of those soon too.

Tell me what you guys think!

IMAG0789.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

IMAG0792.jpg

IMAG0793.jpg

IMAG0797.jpg

IMAG0798.jpg

IMAG0802.jpg

IMAG0803.jpg

IMAG0804.jpg

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great, love seeing it coming together.

I don't think i can do the shopline brand. Only PPG Platinum Distributors can sell it and the there isn't one in Orange County or Los Angeles Area. And in NorCal, its 3 hours from my house and they don't deliver. HOK I heard is real good quality, but I'm not sure about the color match, guess I need to keep looking because I found some, but not sure if they only carry the clear or the base also.

not sure man, im no paint expert....can only tell you my experience with the products I have used.

maybe start a thread looking for advice?.....im sure you will get tons of info from some paint gurus here on fabo.

not sure man, im no paint expert....can only tell you my experience with the products I have used.

maybe start a thread looking for advice?.....im sure you will get tons of info from some paint gurus here on fabo.

I found the ShopLine Brand near the car. The only thing is, they couldn't find the FC7, but they did when PHG came up. Only 190 a gallon in NorCal and 65 for reducer. Thanks for your help! I hope the PHG is the same as FC7. Cant wait to see your car completely done.

That looks really close to plum crazy. maybe a shade darker and a slightly more "electric" shade of purple I guess you could say?.

im not sure what it looks like in person......but my painter aswell as alot of other people have pointed out/complimented on the pearl in my plum crazy......in different lighting it has a shade of blue to it and can get almost pink in areas if the sun hits it right. thats how the color came....not sure if the color spectrum variation is a selling point for you or not but you mentioned the other stuff looked blue at times so i figured id let you know the plum crazy isnt a tame color under lighting either.

either way you go though i think it will look good. that color is real close.

you can also change the way the color looks on how you choose to spray it. I used a medium gray sealer under my color which lightened the purple up.....I also had to use 5 coats to get the purple just where i wanted it. but you could start with a dark gray or a black sealer which would give you a little more darker of a plum crazy....you could run 3 coats for cover then probably....or more if you want to add even more depth. starting with the dark sealer would probably make the color look closer to NEW plum crazy purple like the color they use on the new challengers and what not.

just figured id mention that stuff.

You mentioned you used a medium gray sealer. Is this the same as the 2k primer or is it what you sprayed over the 2k? I know what base coat color I want, the clear I want. I just need the Primer and sealer (unless they are the same thing).

I sprayed my sealer after spraying my 2k primer and sanding it. Thats what "seals" all the under lying layers.....rather it be primer,body filler,spot putty....etc...etc... thats what helps keep all that stuff locked in place under your paint.

its not a MUST...alot of guys will spray primer and move right on to the paint. But i highly recommend it.

I sprayed my sealer after spraying my 2k primer and sanding it. Thats what "seals" all the under lying layers.....rather it be primer,body filler,spot putty....etc...etc... thats what helps keep all that stuff locked in place under your paint.

its not a MUST...alot of guys will spray primer and move right on to the paint. But i highly recommend it.
The primer was 2k shopline correct? What brand was the sealer?

-
Back