'74 Dodge D100 Adventurer - Finn The Truck

-
Here's a better shot of the grill. Just to show how good of shape its in 8)

IH3id9p.jpg

I also got my headers installed, minus the driver's side collector that is off by an inch. Need to take it to an exhaust shop to get it straightened out. but it's all good.

PopbFr2.jpg

S4zwDBf.jpg

Then im gonna have to take it to the exhaust shop who did my exhaust originally hopefully Tuesday for them to straighten out this rusted section of pipe.
JkVUB7p.jpg

I would have them fixed the collector but apparently they are slammed and my truck is my daily, so I gotta take it to another shop and bite the bullet

Got it all fixed for $60 including a new collector and about 3 ft of pipe installed. Apparently the previous shop was using a hanger to push the exhaust down on the end that one side so the collector would go upwards and line up. So, the exhaust shop guy made the pipe higher. Oh and that hole? it was from the hanger that was pushing down. It ripped off and left the hole you see in the picture above. That got welded up. Previous exhaust shop told me it was my problem now. It was also jingling against the exhaust I think or it coulda been the motor mount. who knows, glad its gone

It sounds a million times better now though! :cheers: Its a quite raspy through the glasspacks, but that's okay. I might go to a Y to 3" through a ceramic packed muffler and to the normal stock location of behind the axle on the passenger side. That'll be later on

Oh and I forgot to say, when I did the headers, I replaced the passenger side motor mount. It used to feel like the transmission was shifting real real hard. Now, its not as hard but still pretty damn firm. It also made the body not rattle as much

Yesterday's progress was a lil small but big at the same time. I got my vacuum advance to work. For some reason the vacuum advance port before was always pulling vacuum, even at idle. I checked it yesterday with the manager of the local Advance as I went up there to show him my truck as he hadn't seen it lately. We were both curious if we could get it to run the advance, so we pulled the vacuum plug again and low and behold its not sucking vacuum anymore at idle.we hooked up the advance and now, it'll roast that right rear wheel off without bogging down from a stop. I can't wait to get my thermoquad and see how it'll behave then!

This truck always impresses me as the small things really go a long way

By god you found one! Looks great! Sorry to hear about the previous exhaust guys. What a jerk. He must have know he did crappy work to do you that way

You're doin a great job, Mike. Nothin like inheriting a bunch of somebody else's screw ups is it?

No doubt-cool toy man!
haha, yeah. its pretty nice. it's gettin to where I want it to be. its actually my daily driver, best I have had so far. Its been trouble free ever since I got the transmission redone minus a few small things here and there. Just lots of small stuff here and there that I have been having to fix along with the occasional 40 year old part failure. Nothing has really ran me a whole lot since I took care of that.

I have to fix my entire ignition system as the guy at the transmission shop thought a buttload of initial timing and a hot curve were the ticket on a street engine:banghead:. This is why I really don't wanna shop anything out ever again unless its machine work. I've been spending too much time and money lately having to clean up after people who were paid to do it right the first time. I have to haul my truck up to the exhaust shop again tomorrow as he hung my exhaust like a half an inch too high so now it hits the underside of the bed. Took me a minute to figure out what all this rattlling noise that suddenly appeared from my bed was. :sad1: Bummer. He should fix it though. Been getting alot closer though to the light at the end even though I still have alot to do and I plan on replacing that exhaust system as well.

went to do some small tinkering and adjust my ebrake...

NOPE! Looks like that's not happening today! Some knucklehead bent the fuel lines into where the ebrake cable is. luckily I never use it as it is rubbing against the metal lines and is a fire hazard as it'll huck gas straight onto the driveshaft and exhaust if it rubs through. What did this person do to fix this? Wrap electrical tape around the cable of course! Idiots. anyways, looks like I am gonna have to bend the fuel lines upwards to clear the cable and then adjust the line. it has alot of slack in it and I need it to work to dial in my truck. I am just glad I have not been using it at all since I first got it and found out it didn't work

Well, thankfully, fuel line is cheap and bending a replacement section with a hand bender is easy as pie.

I like what you're doin with the truck man. I can't wait to see where you take it from here.

After I retire from the AF and get my projects running again, I have a 383/727 that initially was going in my Scamp, but will be repurposed into duty between the frame rails of my Dad's '84 Ramcharger. Based on what little research I've done, the W100 series headers should also fit D100 series pickups, therefore the Ramcharger. It's a 2WD with Prospector package, silver/charcoal grey two tone paint, burgundy interior. I think it has somewhere near 250k miles on it and despite only being cranked up about once or twice a year, it still does run.

It does have a few issues, but nothing terrible...probably the biggest thing it needs is interior freshened up. I probably ought to get on the truck forum and do some poking around to find out if there's a way to spruce up the performance with that lockup 727...thing is a complete slug on the bottom end.

Well, thankfully, fuel line is cheap and bending a replacement section with a hand bender is easy as pie.

I like what you're doin with the truck man. I can't wait to see where you take it from here.

After I retire from the AF and get my projects running again, I have a 383/727 that initially was going in my Scamp, but will be repurposed into duty between the frame rails of my Dad's '84 Ramcharger. Based on what little research I've done, the W100 series headers should also fit D100 series pickups, therefore the Ramcharger. It's a 2WD with Prospector package, silver/charcoal grey two tone paint, burgundy interior. I think it has somewhere near 250k miles on it and despite only being cranked up about once or twice a year, it still does run.

It does have a few issues, but nothing terrible...probably the biggest thing it needs is interior freshened up. I probably ought to get on the truck forum and do some poking around to find out if there's a way to spruce up the performance with that lockup 727...thing is a complete slug on the bottom end.
It's not gonna be hard to get it the room it needs with a little massaging of the bracket the lines are on. should be able to get the 3/8" I'd like. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. It's not bad. I just hate finding hackjob stuff. Do it right or don't do it at all is what I was taught

That's not gonna be too hard of a swap. Should go over pretty well if you have everything you need. I'd just invest the 2 hours in pulling off all the front sheet metal. I think the best thing you can do for that 727 will be converter and shift kit. You will pick up some slack. Also check your gears and make sure you don't have some lameass 3.08 gear or something like that.

Well, I'm hoping in the next 2 months I will have made some progress on the outside as well. I also am hoping that maybe soon I can get floorpans in it. Probably after the summer. the wind rushing through the holes kinda feels good in the summer LOL:toothy10:

I'd love to mess with that 'charger, too bad I'm in Hawaii and the truck's in Texas.

But, it does have some lameass highway gears. And I have every intent to install some good pieces parts in that 727-probably with a 2800 converter and some 3.73 or 3.92 gears. It's a 9 1/4" rear, so getting parts won't be difficult at all. I've contemplated buying some takeout gearsets from newer Rams. Also debating on what wheels to go with...

I'd love to mess with that 'charger, too bad I'm in Hawaii and the truck's in Texas.

But, it does have some lameass highway gears. And I have every intent to install some good pieces parts in that 727-probably with a 2800 converter and some 3.73 or 3.92 gears. It's a 9 1/4" rear, so getting parts won't be difficult at all. I've contemplated buying some takeout gearsets from newer Rams. Also debating on what wheels to go with...
all depends on the look you are gonna do for in the end. Some polished wagon wheels would look pretty good. and I always seem to run across 9 1/4s before I ever come across an 8 3/4 so you got that going for ya. Do the 94+ still have the 9 1/4"? I never really even look at them now that I have a first gen and go to the junkyard.

The wheels-not really sure yet...I was thinking about going with newer stock take offs, but hell, I might send the stock wheels and have them widened. I won't really know what I'm gonna do until I get in under it and figure out what kind of backspacing and offset I need to run.

Why I like Dodge 4x4 's: I live near the Piano Beach dunes. "The equivalent" of the local stoplight to stoplight,here "legally".. Known as "Comp hill", a sand dune about 500-600 feet upwards. I got indoctrinated, riding with a buddy. 79 short box 1/2 ton . Picked it up,7 bills. His dad was a bracket racer at Famoso. He swiped the worked Max Wedge heads,and the Offy tunnel ram. Re-ringed a stock 69 440 block . 5:13 gears/4500 stall (on a four wheel drive????). The shift points were 7000+,and going nowhere. He installed a 175 shot. The damn thing,died from overheating . Geez,what a beast... Sorry about the long post,it was too unreal.

Why I like Dodge 4x4 's: I live near the Piano Beach dunes. "The equivalent" of the local stoplight to stoplight,here "legally".. Known as "Comp hill", a sand dune about 500-600 feet upwards. I got indoctrinated, riding with a buddy. 79 short box 1/2 ton . Picked it up,7 bills. His dad was a bracket racer at Famoso. He swiped the worked Max Wedge heads,and the Offy tunnel ram. Re-ringed a stock 69 440 block . 5:13 gears/4500 stall (on a four wheel drive????). The shift points were 7000+,and going nowhere. He installed a 175 shot. The damn thing,died from overheating . Geez,what a beast... Sorry about the long post,it was too unreal.
its cool. the one ultimate thing I wanna do before I die is run the Baja 1000. I've dreamt of doing that since I was 6. I'd also like to venture out to the dunes one day. I have too much I wanna do hahahaha:D

love the trucks guys, heres mine, except now has a 4" lift, 318, with comp cam rv cam, 2210 2bbl carb and intake, 40,000 original miles, these trucks are beasts.

Attachments

• 1349804915441.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 173
  • 1347838647589.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 1349804911600.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 166
A lil progress today towards the future gauges going in. $5 progress is still progress in my book. got a brass fitting, a lil bit of vacuum hose, and this drop fitting so eventually it can go in the truck. Serve as some kind of economy gauge.

prrNNfp.jpg

Good progress on the truck, I seen in one of your posts that you were going to change the rims, if the spokes on those wheels are like 1/4" thick they look like factory Dodge 15 x 7 road wheels and are kinda rare.
I was lucky and all 5 were still with my truck, with the original window sticker stating they were an option.

Good progress on the truck, I seen in one of your posts that you were going to change the rims, if the spokes on those wheels are like 1/4" thick they look like factory Dodge 15 x 7 road wheels and are kinda rare.
I was lucky and all 5 were still with my truck, with the original window sticker stating they were an option.
my underhood sticker is sadly too far gone and none of the documentation for my truck is around but they are are I believe 15x7 wheels and I have all 5 as well. the spokes I dont think are that thick though. That is quite thick. I am probably gonna stack 'em in my basement and hold onto em. maybe use them on a later project

-
Back