833 Strength

-

440dartsport

Reaction score
I know that the 833's are tough but how much abuse can they take? This will be a 3100lb street car that will see the track once or twice a year. Im looking at around 700-800hp.

Buddy of mine has had to rebuilt his 833 with 500hp 515tq.

A properly built A-833 will handle as much HP as you can throw at it. It is the best four speed passenger car transmission ever made by an OEM. It is a bit on the heavy side though. Ronnie Sox won a bunch of races with 'em.

Ronnie Sox was not running an OEM 23 spline. Built crash box 18 spline that was being freshened often mabe. With a true 700-800 HP this is a race car so why not go with a Lenco. Check out Steve Clueky's duster on youtube. That is a 700 HP small block and he couldnt even keep an 18 spline in it.

A properly built A-833 will handle as much HP as you can throw at it. It is the best four speed passenger car transmission ever made by an OEM. It is a bit on the heavy side though. Ronnie Sox won a bunch of races with 'em.

Listen to this guy and be stranded on the road at best.

Ok. Well, I may just build a strong 727 for it then. I just had the trans freshened up this spring and it has worked flawlessly for 2 years with 510hp to the wheels. I know that is a ways away from 700 but I was hoping to keep the 4 speed.

Give Passion Performance/Liberty Gear an email/call.Oassion,has the ability to get non-stock equipment,designed to his specs.You have nothing to lose,at this point.

Check out Steve Clueky's duster on youtube. That is a 700 HP small block and he couldnt even keep an 18 spline in it.

You may check out a few other sites where guys are running that kind of power..........like Hemi power:D. And yes, Clukey's car is awsome...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XES5L5GYF7o"]Steve Clukey's Wheelstanding Small Block Duster - YouTube[/ame]

You may check out a few other sites where guys are running that kind of power..........like Hemi power:D. And yes, Clukey's car is awsome...
Steve Clukey's Wheelstanding Small Block Duster - YouTube

One of the coolest dusters in the northeast. He lives 30 min. from me. Full metal body. He bought it brand new in late 69 as a real 340 4 speed car. Once he started putting over 700 HP in it the trannys were the weak point. Has only ever seen the track. It has crazy low miles 1/8th-1/4 @ a time.

I've seen this car at my home town track Lebanon Valley speed way about 10 or 15 yrs ago, and I fell in love with it (as I'm a stick man) at that time he was running a jerico 4spd. I've followed this car on YouTube since then, and I can say that Steve has had every manual tranny there is. He is a great resource for stick car racing. Oh and the car is unbelievable in person.

I think you could have your 833 rebuilt and it will last forever......you'll never use 700 to 800hp on the street!! why are you building so much power for street use??? Tell us about your build.

I was going to be building a 572 but now I decided to build a 512 stroker RB motor instead. CNC ported EZ1 heads, Indy Tunnel ram with 2-750 hp's. Hughes solid flat cam - .671 int / .675 exh and 276 int / 280 exh duration. 11/1 compression. I am having an 18 spline built right now and I will use that with a McLeod RST clutch.

Not sure if you've made up your mind yet or not but have you checked out the G Force G-101? It comes in both clutch assisted and clutchless. I gave them a call and they said they'd hook me up with the trans and bellhousing for about $4500-$5000. Seems like alot but I think you'd save money in the end not having to rebuild the trans over and over again. Food for thought.

I have gave that thought. I just had an 18 spline built so I will try that first. Thanks for the reply.

Use the one you have for the street and have another built for the track. If you want a four speed, it needs liberty gears and built as a crash box. We always had a complete spare and 2 sets of gears. Longest i ever had one lasts was four week ends. Then everone went to lenco

yea, sure they do. and this wasn't the first one i broke. i did manage 2.5 passes out of it though.

proshifted4speed003-2.jpg

I've seen this car at my home town track Lebanon Valley speed way about 10 or 15 yrs ago, and I fell in love with it (as I'm a stick man) at that time he was running a jerico 4spd. I've followed this car on YouTube since then, and I can say that Steve has had every manual tranny there is. He is a great resource for stick car racing. Oh and the car is unbelievable in person.

Absolutely correct. Clukey's car started off as an original 340 4 speed racer. Once the engine started getting built up stock 833s were not strong enough. He then went crash boxes and got sick of them blowing up as well. Then came the jerico and eventually the lenco once the car started tickling 700 HP. This car is awesome in person. Steve is part of our mopar group. Great guy, and he has been there done that.

Absolutely correct. Clukey's car started off as an original 340 4 speed racer. Once the engine started getting built up stock 833s were not strong enough. He then went crash boxes and got sick of them blowing up as well. Then came the jerico and eventually the lenco once the car started tickling 700 HP. This car is awesome in person. Steve is part of our mopar group. Great guy, and he has been there done that.

Thanks for the insight, how can I join your Mopar group, I'd love to be able to talk with/to Steve again..... Honestly he is one of the main reason's why I refuse to build an automatic race car.....Him, Leonard Long, The Boss Ronnie Soxx, and my Dad.

yea, sure they do. and this wasn't the first one i broke. i did manage 2.5 passes out of it though.

proshifted4speed003-2.jpg

if this is the same trans i remember reading about it had top shelf internals. i think it was all liberty parts. the gears were even cryo freeze treated i think. that is alot of money in that box.

A face plated 18 spline trans and Dual disc clutch will handle that. It's is the shock from the clutch that breaks parts! If got $$ buy a Soft Lock clutch and you will have no worries, just not sure how they are on the street. Call Jamie Passon @ http://www.passonperformance.com/ -he will answer all of your questions!
he is Top Notch!

-
Back