98 Dakota 5.2 drivetrain in 66 Dart?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
I have a 2wd 1998 Dodge Dakota with a 5.2 318. I am wondering how difficult it would be to put the drivetrain from the truck into my 66 Dart?
I would love to keep the fuel injection Like my truck currently has. I wish I could just simply just swap bodies lol. That'll make things easy but obviously that's not possible lol.
Also I assume the tranny from the truck would need modifications to fit since had over drive.

Any info on doing something like this would be greatly appreciated!

We put a '96 5.2 into an '84 Ramcharger. Mechanically all we had to do was fab up a trans crossmember and shorten the drive shaft (as I recall). For the electronics we removed all of the Ramcharger wiring and used the Dakota wiring. A few circuits needed to be modified, but that was it. I know there is a company that makes (at least for later A-bodies) fuel tanks for this purpose (my son just got one for his wife's '65 Mustang that's getting a modded '89 5.0/5sp).

tailshaft is going to be way too fat to fit in tunnel. Look at a 904's tailsection, its baseball bat thin. IIRC, it wont fit unless you fab a new tunnel section for the 44RE and mod the mount. You can reuse your 904 (look out for convertor snout mismatch on a Magnum and a 66 convertor) or get one from a 68 or later 318 car, they are both neutral balanced. magnum flexplate needs one hole filed as the website states.
t150317.jpg

904TF8002.jpg

I have a friend that put a injected 360 Magnum in a 41 Plymouth coupe, engine, tranny, wiring harness, dash, column, etc including the ALDL connector for computer diagnostics. One thing nice about a rat rod it doesn't have to look pretty, just cool. He narrowed a 8 3/4 and installed a 4 link. The 3:23 gears were too much for the OD/lock up tranny so he put in a 3:91 rear. It burns tires for a city block and gets near 20mpg @ 60 turning 2,000 on the tach. Are there stand alone computers made for this swap? Cool if there were.

I've installed a 95 5.9 magnum in place of a 318 in a friend's 74 D-100 short bed. It was EASY. Took about 20-25 hours total including fuel system modifications and wiring. We reused his factory 318 LA motor mounts, headers, 727 trans, radiator, etc. Basically just a remove and replace ordeal. The flex plate needed one hole slightly enlarged to bolt to the convertor. Also the bellhousing flange had to be notched to clear the crank sensor for the magnum EFI. We modified a dodge ram throttle cable to fit the firewall and throttle pedal on his 74. And his original 727 had the proper mounting ear to use the kickdown cable from the same 95 ram without modification.

-
Back