Adam's Scamp

-
Lookin good Adam!:thumbup:
Not having to deal with rust problems is just a dream for me and my projects!:sad:

That darlings coming along great :blob:

You have been getting after it,
And she sure is looking great. :thumbup:

What is your excitement level? Mine would be though the roof!!

65s said:
My '69 Valiant has that extra panel up under the rear quarter panel connecting to the floor. I have a plug, just like yours, in there too. Is this not normal or something? I'm not that familiar with 3rd generation A-bodies, so I don't know.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=15895

65S, are you referring to this ?

IM000518.jpg

It has to do with the California Emissions. There are vents in it.

IM000518.jpg

memike.1 said:
That darlings coming along great :blob:

You have been getting after it,
And she sure is looking great. :thumbup:

What is your excitement level? Mine would be though the roof!!

I'll be really excited when I drop the 340 in it.
:thumbup:

The plug is just a drain in case water gets in there. They are usually rotted away to nothing.

Okay, I get it. So when you said "this panel usually isn't there" you just meant it's usually rusted away. I thought you meant it's something strange. I'm not that familiar with body panels, just learning really. Guess I'm lucky this panels exists on my Valiant (although it's got some heavy surface rust).

Did some playing around in the garage today. Polished and masked off the grill and got a bunch of small parts ready for paint.

IM000741.jpg

IM000744.jpg

Replaced the ugly green kick panels with a black pair and pulled the old gas tank out which is amazingly clean inside. To bad it looks like some one dropped a boulder on it from 30ft.

I also order the Flaming river steering column adapter, Mopar mini starter and the Trans-Dapt mount kit. Has anyone tried these yet or am I the first. At $60 for the set its a lot cheaper then the Schumacher mounts.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TRD-4695&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Next order is the TTI headers coated inside and out and new gas tank and a 3/8" sending unit.

IM000741.jpg

IM000744.jpg

Looks nice, man. Always moving forward a step at a time - that's the name of the game. Your turn signal bezels sure look good. How did you get them to clean up so nicely?

I used some rubbing compound. I was amazed how clean they came out.

I also did some measuring for rims/tires. There is 12" from the wheel lip to the wheel well. with 4.5" of that from the face of the drum to the wheel lip and 7.5 from the face of the drum to the wheel well. So an 8" rim with 5" backspacing will center the tire in the wheel well. Theres just enough room for a 10" wide tire but thats section width not tread width. I think a 255-60-15 is as big as I would go.

I had never looked at the bezels that close until I removed them and found them to be plastic. Had assumed they were metal. So the rubbing compound didn't harm the plating at all?

No it didn't. I rubbed it on with a damp sponge. After it took the heavy stuff off I used a less coarse polish.

Looking great Adam. I can't wait till I can get started on mine this spring.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Heres some more work on the grill.

IM000748.jpg

IM000751.jpg

IM000752.jpg

IM000753.jpg

I just have to polish the lower chrome strip and the grill is finished. I even remembered to change the parking light bulbs while they were out.

IM000748.jpg

IM000751.jpg

IM000752.jpg

IM000753.jpg

Looks good Adam.

Did you ever find out the details of the vented gas tank and extra tube?
I have the same thing(Cal car)and would like to do away with the extra tube and rubber hoses and get a tank with the single fill tube.I dont see why it cant be done.

That same "extra" tube is on the Dart (71) that I just got, so, is that a Cali. thing only? Strange since my Dart was assembled in Canada plant. Sounds like it then went to Cal. and I end up buying it out of Ga. The ole girl has been aroun huh? But Calif. and the south would explain why she is still so solid.

My car(Cal car)was built in Canada as well.You also need a spacial Cal vented gas cap for these cars.

My car is LA built. I was told early 71s had it later car had 1 vent line. Mine was built in April.

I pulled the tube out, all 4 lines were dry rotted, cracked or broken so I'll replace them with some fresh ones. To bad I forgot to mark which lines went were. Hope I get them back on right.

Let us know about those trans dapt mounts. I think you still need the actual motor monts to tie the engine to the adapters.
There also not for a /6 to V8 swap.

AdamR said:
I used some rubbing compound. I was amazed how clean they came out.

I also did some measuring for rims/tires. There is 12" from the wheel lip to the wheel well. with 4.5" of that from the face of the drum to the wheel lip and 7.5 from the face of the drum to the wheel well. So an 8" rim with 5" backspacing will center the tire in the wheel well. Theres just enough room for a 10" wide tire but thats section width not tread width. I think a 255-60-15 is as big as I would go.

I put 8 inch wheels with 4 inch back spacing on the Demon Adam. I also put 255-60-15's on. With the back spacing, the tires are just inside the lip and lots of room over to the springs.

Jack

rumblefish360 said:
Let us know about those trans dapt mounts. I think you still need the actual motor monts to tie the engine to the adapters.
There also not for a /6 to V8 swap.

Rob, according to summit they come with mounts.

"Motor Mounts, Swap Mount, Steel/Rubber, Black/Black, Dodge/Plymouth, Barracuda/Dart/Scamp, V8 to Slant 6, Kit"

I found a guy on Moparts that used them and said they work fine.

Coyote Jack said:
I put 8 inch wheels with 4 inch back spacing on the Demon Adam. I also put 255-60-15's on. With the back spacing, the tires are just inside the lip and lots of room over to the springs.

Jack

The Demon has a more open wheel well and tons more room then the Dart/Scamp does. I'll need to offset my springs and run 5" of backspacing to get that much tire in it.

-
Back