Advice needed, 360 build. All I need now is a camshaft.

-

TomSchichtel

73 Duster
Reaction score
Car: 73 Duster with 23 spline 4 speed, 3.23 8.34 rear, slant 6 torsion bars.

Motor: 75 dodge 360 4.04 bore, standard stroke, re-manufactured factory rods and crankshaft. Edelbrock dual plane intake & 600 cfm carb. Big valve j-heads with deck resurfaced, new valves, springs, solid bronze valve guides, ect... No port work. I let my machinist pick out the piston, he went with Icon forged dish. I don't have all the specs on piston or the cc's of the heads but he said it calculates to 9.9:1 compression.

I would love advise on the camshaft! This is my first motor building experience of my own, and I would love for it to pay off.

Thanks for your time!

Motor: 75 dodge 360 4.04 bore, standard stroke, re-manufactured factory rods and crankshaft. Edelbrock dual plane intake & 600 cfm carb. Big valve j-heads with deck resurfaced, new valves, springs, solid bronze valve guides, ect... No port work. I let my machinist pick out the piston, he went with Icon forged dish. I don't have all the specs on piston or the cc's of the heads but he said it calculates to 9.9:1 compression.

I would love advise on the camshaft! This is my first motor building experience of my own, and I would love for it to pay off.

Thanks for your time!

cams have to have matching springs. so if those are stock springs you may need to change them if you put in a big cam.

are you leaning toward hydraulic flat lifters (6k rpm max or so) solid flat lifters (can go higher rpms depending or the rest of the build) or some sort of roller lifters (for very high lift, requires extra machine work for clearances)?

if you are going solid i'd recommend a MP purple cam maybe .528 lift or so, or .557 for hydraulic probably the same. .590 lift etc really need more of the compression ratio/race gas to be effective.

with a 3.23:1 rear axle ratio it will not be a real fast take off and will be hard on the ujoints during hard launches. but since it's manual shift you dont have to be as worried about cam choice. if you have power brakes you might want to go with something that has a good manifold vacuum at moderate rpm's (not the .557)

These?

http://kb-silvolite.com/icon/icon.php?action=details&P_id=322

Which ede intake do you have Performer 318/360, RPM, LD340, air gap?

What do you want out of it? Hyd, Solid?

The 403 or 404 voodoo cams are good, XE268/274 or a XE high lift for Hydraulics

Solid, comp XS274s, MP528

You need to decide what type of idle quality you want and go from there. If you mild, run a XE268 or 403 voodoo. Want a more aggressive idle, step up the cam.
Pick your poison.

Yeah those are the pistons. And the car does have power brakes so I don't want to go too large on the lift. Installed on the heads right now are double springs good for.500 lift, I am aware that I may need to change springs depending on the cam choice. Im going for a hydraulic cam, and kind of looking for a mild chop sounding cam that doesn't sacrifice power for sound.

I was looking at that XE268H, but with my knowledge of cams it shouldn't be my decision alone.

Good cam. Will run well.

The 60403 voodoo cam is good too.

The springs are likely a single w/ damper style

Stock J heads equipped with 2.02-1.60 valves stop flowing air In The low .500 range. The cam you should be looking at I. Terms of lift should not exceed much passed .500 lift. Valve train geometry will loose some lift on the advertised lift on the cam.

Considering g the 3.21/.323 gear set, the next important thing is tire size. This is missing info. The hwy. gears limit cam duration though a 4apd manual allows for a little more duration. Look at the cam specs and there recommended rpm range as stated by the cam grinder. Know at what rpm you cruise in.

The centerline of the cam is idle quality. (Actually a lot more but limited to this for this conversation) a 112 is a mello idle. a110' is a muscle car idle, a 106 is a bit of a radical idle

I got a cam you might want for this deal.I pulled it out of my Bracket car (as it was too small for all out IMO).

Its an Edelbrock Per Rpm hydraulic .Its .484/.510 lift and 234/244 duration @ 50 with a 112 lobe speration.Sounded tough at idle and pulled great to 5800 rpm ,yet it pulled 12 inches of vacume .

Lobes looked great when i pulled it and it has no street miles on it .My 408 ran 7.1's with it in the 1/8 .Would be a great street /strip cam in a 360 ...

Let me know if you want it ,as i will let it go for next to nothing .I have no use for it ...

Call hughes engines and talk to Tim. He will tell you everything you want to know.

Power brake guys like the 403 voodoo and xe268. Quite a bit of compression iron heads and a mild cam though. Check dynamic compression and keep that around 8:1 for pump gas.

Thanks for your time!

Run Comp's DEH 275 cam...you'll love it!

why do you prefer the DEH275 over comps XE274?

Because it makes as much or more power and has good idle quality. Plus you can run stock rockers easily with it and even stock springs if you set them up properly.

I recently built a 360 for a guy here, using KB 107's, stock heads with stock valves, no port work. Stock rockers, DEH 275 cam, comp. was 9.4:1, performer intake, 650DP holley, and cheapo Hooker 1 5/8 headers. It made 350HP at 5500rpm and 390's TQ! And it also made 363TQ at 2500rpm. Not bad for a cheap build.
Brian

I like that cam and often it is met with scoff at my suggestion for its use. Comp calls it a cam for exhaust manifold cars. While tha may have been there intention, from my point of view, it will do well with headers as well. I really like the exhaust duration on it vs the intakes. I normally state that a split duration cam of approx. 8*'s or more exhaust should be used with stock or mildly ported heads.

I recently built a 360 for a guy here, using KB 107's, stock heads with stock valves, no port work. Stock rockers, DEH 275 cam, comp. was 9.4:1, performer intake, 650DP holley, and cheapo Hooker 1 5/8 headers. It made 350HP at 5500rpm and 390's TQ! And it also made 363TQ at 2500rpm. Not bad for a cheap build.
Brian

That thing ran great.

-
Back