An Eagle Cap Camper Snapped A Ram 3500 Dually In Half, Mopar Refuses $17,000 Repair Bill

-
Saw that on another site. Have to wonder "was it overloaded?"

Look at that OVERHANG. And then there's stuff like "sympathetic harmonics" ----likely the best example was WAS that is, the old Tacoma narrows Bridge

I think you should not jack one of these trucks up at the rear bumper anymore. Reverse pressure of what seems to have happened.

Note the frame broke behind where the front tie down is attached as well. The tie down mount is still aligned with the front half of the truck. Would be interesting to see the break.

Last edited:
Ive seen that with a Ford Dually in the town I live, quite unbelievable really. While I can't comment on this scenario specifically, I would go as far to say many people way overload their pickups, worst part is, I don't believe most are even aware. Have a look at the decal in your door jam, most people I mention this to can't believe how low the actual net payload capacity of their vehicle really is.

Reading the acritical it states that "the actual payload capacity of the truck in question is itself in question. While the max payload capacity for a 2020 RAM 3500 is 7,680 pounds (3,483 kg), that’s specific to the regular bed, long-bed model with two-wheel drive and a 6.4-liter V8 engine. The truck here is a crew cab 4×4 dually with a diesel engine which means that its payload capacity is probably closer to 5,850 pounds (2,653 kg)."
I would have thought the payload capacity of the dually would be higher than a regular 2wd version.

Reading the acritical it states that "the actual payload capacity of the truck in question is itself in question. While the max payload capacity for a 2020 RAM 3500 is 7,680 pounds (3,483 kg), that’s specific to the regular bed, long-bed model with two-wheel drive and a 6.4-liter V8 engine. The truck here is a crew cab 4×4 dually with a diesel engine which means that its payload capacity is probably closer to 5,850 pounds (2,653 kg)."

I would have thought the payload capacity of the dually would be higher than a regular 2wd version.

The more options on any said vehicle add weigh, as weight is added the net payload reduces as the GVW remains the same.

“I did a lot of research before buying the truck and the camper, and both the Ram dealer and the camper company where we bought it said it was the perfect truck… They said it should handle the load no problem.

famous last words. the idiots at both dealers will tell you anything to sell you something. its up to you to know what the payload of the truck is and the real weight of the camper.

I knew the payload capacity on the truck was about 7,800 pounds and the camper dry weight was close to 5,000 pounds, but fully loaded, probably about 6,500 pounds.”

i like this one. probably about 6500 pounds loaded. I'll bet he was way overloaded.

I think it was grossly overloaded, and the overload weight was as badly distributed as it could possibly be.
That camper on a one ton standard cab long bed possibly would have been okay. On a crew cab short bed with the weight of a Cummins in front, and gross overloading well past the tailgate, AND two motorcycles hanging on out past that, it's a miracle it went 25000 miles with no problems.
That setup is designed to bend that chassis, just like it did.
No warrantee.

The camper obviously was not applying the weight between the two axles but rather cantilevered behind the rear axle, putting an upward strain on the frame. Much the same as a load distributing hitch hitch would do. The frame is most likely designed for downward forces, not an upward force. Like others have mentioned, it would be interesting to see the break. I wonder it it occurred where there was a hole in the top of the frame for the box mount or similar weak spot not intended to see tension but rather compression? And yes it was obviously overloaded.

Must've been the two bicycles that became the last straw. :BangHead: :lol:
9_10160428979304253_6788994124822698469_n-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with this setup is weight distribution. Too much of the weight is in the rear of the load. A long box only compounds that issue. Dually trucks offer better lateral control and tire performance redundancy in the event of failure. They do not add any chassis strength. It's why they are ideal for gooseneck and 5th wheel towing packages.

JMO of someone that owns and has towed much heavier loads with a Ram 3500 diesel/Dually longbox.

695386-d4cf778b1080a0e7d9ac90c5f1a22562.jpg

What vehicle did Eagle Cap make that design for? Eagle would have to base that design on vehicles in the market.........but with that overhang off the rear, that seems like a problem for ANY 1 ton truck out there. I'm not in that world - so maybe im totally wrong.

I feel bad for the poor bastard. Either he does not have a clue or he was sold a bill of goods and the bill finally came due.
A 1/2 ton truck is just that it can carry a 1/2 ton…1,000lbs.
3/4 ton. 1,500lbs and a 1ton 2,000lbs
Now manufactures play around with those number like my Ram 3500 single rear wheel carries 2,000lbs perfectly like a lady.
But distributed evenly in the bed. Nothing about hanging off past the bumper that much or does it have airbags… Cummins or not. Part of owning any vehicle for hauling is routine inspections. All my trucks get annual inspections and one of the first items checks is the frame. Inspected for cracks, welds and rust. Being his is rather new I doubt rust comes into play. I also bet as a “Monday morning quarterback” he was not getting it inspected or even will admit he was hearing weird noises days before it split on two.

I wonder how many storage totes of heavy stuff he had in that thing. I'd bet they slid toward the back too as they went uphill.

Whoever installed that camper on that truck was an idiot. The water tank and portajohn were probably in the rear of the truck. Bike rack. And most likely the generator and fuel cans right inside the door. Where else would it be? Should have bought an RV.

If the was a regular cab the front wheels would be off the ground

Last edited:
I delivered a new frame for a 3500 GM truck this week to one of the local dealers, not sure what reason it was needed, but it was a heavy sumbitch and a pita to deliver.

I have been seeing a bunch of these type of breaks all over the net. Most seem to be crew cabs. More leverage at the ends, easier to bend in the middle.. Thats why floor joist get thicker as they get longer.

What size truck do you guys think that Eagle Cap is designed to be mounted on? With that overhang in the rear, and the water and toilet in the rear area (as someone suggested), I would think that sucker is too big for ANY 1 ton truck. If that's the case, what vehicle did Eagle design that model for?

What size truck do you guys think that Eagle Cap is designed to be mounted on? With that overhang in the rear, and the water and toilet in the rear area (as someone suggested), I would think that sucker is too big for ANY 1 ton truck. If that's the case, what vehicle did Eagle design that model for?
I don't know what that camper was designed for, but my F550 chassis is twice as thick thru the middle as my 2500hd diesel pickup.
I would think it would need a 4500 or 5500 chassis. Think trucks with ten lug wheels....
It even looks a little too big for the F450 in the video above.

I don't know what that camper was designed for, but my F550 chassis is twice as thick thru the middle as my 2500hd diesel pickup.
I would think it would need a 4500 or 5500 chassis. Think trucks with ten lug wheels....
It even looks a little too big for the F450 in the video above.
Agreed-it looks freaking huge! Hard for me to understand what the intended vehicle class they were envisioning with that monstrosity !

Agreed-it looks freaking huge! Hard for me to understand what the intended vehicle class they were envisioning with that monstrosity !
Probably something like this. Grocery-getter, in the walmart parking lot. The gal driving it was about 5' nothing" tall, and had to reach above her head to get to the door handle.

20210324_112736.jpg

20210324_112718.jpg

-
Back