Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-
No 67 :) , I was quoting Sedanman about his choice for mustang wheels on his post 618. I have not mounted the my wheels but will be experimenting with them this summer before buying any more rims. If I can get by with the 17" I will for now to save money. I have a narrowed C body rear end so its spring perches are correct but it is about 1 inch wider than A body from what I can tell. Front is 11.75 rotors w firm feel UCAs.

Wow, good price on those rims.

But yeah, 5.94" with 9" rims is going to be tight on the fenders with a 275/40/18. Might work with some negative camber and a little fender lip trimming, but it's going to be close. I'm looking at getting an 18x9" with about 6.2-6.4" of backspace for the 275's for my duster. Lots easier to run a spacer if you have too much backspace, pretty much nothing you can do but go with a smaller tire if you have too little.

On a Dart, 255 is about as wide as you can go without moving the springs. The 1/2" spring relocation should get you to a 275 without cutting tubs, but that would be tight. You'd need to have the backspacing just about perfect, and you'd still probably need to trim the quarter lips on a Dart to do that.

On a Duster you can get 275's on with the stock spring location, with the stock axle you need about 4.75" of backspace on a 9" rim to get a 275 to clear the springs and the quarters. I had my challengers 17x9's with 275/40/17's mocked up on my Duster with the stock springs and axle, they're a 5" backspace but I needed a 1/4" spacer to get them off the springs.

I'm hoping for a 285/40/18 on the back my Duster with 18x9.5's and 6.4" of backspace, but that's also going to be with a 68-70 B rear and the 1/2" spring offset.

So what would you need for a 10.5 to fit? Because I've seen and heard that 295 will fit. Jimmyray has them on 17s with 17x8 and my plan is to fo 18x10.5 in rear with 6.5in bs

So what would you need for a 10.5 to fit? Because I've seen and heard that 295 will fit. Jimmyray has them on 17s with 17x8 and my plan is to fo 18x10.5 in rear with 6.5in bs

A mini tub and 3" spring relocation.

Based on the measurements I've taken, with a 68-70 B rear and 1/2" spring offset the 18x9.5's with 285/40/17's I want to run are going to be a just a bit more than 1/4" off the springs and will probably still need a quarter lip trim at my planned ride height.

When I mocked up the 275's on my Duster with the stock springs and rear end, they fit pretty much exactly in the wheel well. No extra anywhere, a 1/4" off the springs and right at the quarter lip. The 1/2" spring relocation should buy me enough to get the 285's, but 10mm = .4" so that's right back to pretty much no extra clearance.

Either that or you'll have to run +2" rear springs and just let the 295's hang out. But lowered and 295's with the stock wheel wells isn't going to work well. Section width on a 295 is like 11.9", stock duster wheel wells are about 12" (at the bottoms!!!). You need at least a 1/4" clearance at the springs and quarters to keep things from rubbing, and that's TIGHT. So, 11.9 + .25 + .25 = 12.4". You might get exactly that if you completely cut the quarter lip off, but then you'll have to weld the quarters and inner fenders with a bead along the edge (not fun). And even then you might not have enough because of factory body tolerances.

A mini tub and 3" spring relocation.

Based on the measurements I've taken, with a 68-70 B rear and 1/2" spring offset the 18x9.5's with 285/40/17's I want to run are going to be a just a bit more than 1/4" off the springs and will probably still need a quarter lip trim at my planned ride height.

When I mocked up the 275's on my Duster with the stock springs and rear end, they fit pretty much exactly in the wheel well. No extra anywhere, a 1/4" off the springs and right at the quarter lip. The 1/2" spring relocation should buy me enough to get the 285's, but 10mm = .4" so that's right back to pretty much no extra clearance.

Either that or you'll have to run +2" rear springs and just let the 295's hang out. But lowered and 295's with the stock wheel wells isn't going to work well. Section width on a 295 is like 11.9", stock duster wheel wells are about 12" (at the bottoms!!!). You need at least a 1/4" clearance at the springs and quarters to keep things from rubbing, and that's TIGHT. So, 11.9 + .25 + .25 = 12.4". You might get exactly that if you completely cut the quarter lip off, but then you'll have to weld the quarters and inner fenders with a bead along the edge (not fun). And even then you might not have enough because of factory body tolerances.

See this is why I haven't purchased the wheels and tires yet because Jimmyray runs 295s on his car no mini tub and springs in stock location and has clearance. The section width on the tire I want is 11.5 I believe and you are right, the wheel well is 12in and 12.5 if you roll the fender lip. I will have to just get a test wheel and tire before I purchase the set. OR I will purchase the set and if it fits GREAT, if not tub it, so that I am forced to tub it haha, but I will keep looking. My friend just told me his friend with a demon got a 325/50 to fit in his car WITHOUT spring relocation and mini tub, I said NO WAY, but he said he's getting pictures, so I HAVE TO see this haha

See this is why I haven't purchased the wheels and tires yet because Jimmyray runs 295s on his car no mini tub and springs in stock location and has clearance. The section width on the tire I want is 11.5 I believe and you are right, the wheel well is 12in and 12.5 if you roll the fender lip. I will have to just get a test wheel and tire before I purchase the set. OR I will purchase the set and if it fits GREAT, if not tub it, so that I am forced to tub it haha, but I will keep looking. My friend just told me his friend with a demon got a 325/50 to fit in his car WITHOUT spring relocation and mini tub, I said NO WAY, but he said he's getting pictures, so I HAVE TO see this haha

The problem with the Dusters/Demons is that the wheel arches in the back are pretty high. I've seen 295's on the backs of stock cars, but its because the wheels hang out past the quarters on cars with the back ends jacked up. There's no way a 325 will fit on anything resembling a stock car. That's maxed out for mini-tubs and a 3" relocation.

The only post on jimmyray's car I see he lists 275's, not 295's. And that's on a 17x8, which is borderline too small for even 275/50's, so it would squeeze the section width. His car also sits pretty high in the back...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969820646&postcount=142

attachment.php

The problem with the Dusters/Demons is that the wheel arches in the back are pretty high. I've seen 295's on the backs of stock cars, but its because the wheels hang out past the quarters on cars with the back ends jacked up. There's no way a 325 will fit on anything resembling a stock car. That's maxed out for mini-tubs and a 3" relocation.

The only post on jimmyray's car I see he lists 275's, not 295's. And that's on a 17x8, which is borderline too small for even 275/50's, so it would squeeze the section width. His car also sits pretty high in the back...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969820646&postcount=142

attachment.php
attachment.php

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=130381 post 12.. I messaged him and he said he has clearance. I also have pictures of guys running 15x10s and 295/50/15s. What I am trying to say is I see it, but I am not willing to do it myself until I have a conversation with someone who has done it or seen it for sure, so I am not arguing with anyone or anything. I am just trying to figure this out.

Here is Daniel Depetro running 15x10 4.5bs
p1020579lm3.jpg

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=30453

No worries.

Looking at both of those cars I'd say that those tires won't fit into the wheel wells if either of those cars were lowered the in the back. But that's just my opinion based on the pictures I've seen, I haven't seen either car in person.

If you're planning on lowering the car, and by that I mean having the tops of the tires higher than the rear wheel openings, then the biggest tires I'd run are 275's with the stock spring location, and 285's with 1/2" offset springs. Maybe that's a bit on the conservative side, but I don't think 295's will fit with the 1/2" offset. Not on my '74 Duster at any rate. Maybe you could get away with more on a drag only car, but I'm talking on a street car that sees speed bumps, potholes, steep driveways etc. But that's with a significantly lowered car. If the rear wheel openings stay above the tops of the tires, you can run just about anything.

For '07's the 17x8's would have a 5.72" backspace, the 17x9's should have 5.94". Not a bad price at all with the tires.

As far as whether or not they'll fit, if you're running an A body rear you'll need spacers. 1", 1.25", and even 1.5" spacers are available, so you can make them work. If you have a B body rear you'd be in better shape, they'd be real close to bolting right on. Those are 27" tall tires though, so you'd probably want to go with shorter tires in the front.

That's not correct information. 95-01 17x8 wheels have 5.72" backspace. The wheels he is looking at are 2005-2013 17x8 with 6.29" backspace and will not work on a stock A-body rear suspension setup, and would be very close to making contact with the springs if a B-body rear is used.

No worries.

Looking at both of those cars I'd say that those tires won't fit into the wheel wells if either of those cars were lowered the in the back. But that's just my opinion based on the pictures I've seen, I haven't seen either car in person.

If you're planning on lowering the car, and by that I mean having the tops of the tires higher than the rear wheel openings, then the biggest tires I'd run are 275's with the stock spring location, and 285's with 1/2" offset springs. Maybe that's a bit on the conservative side, but I don't think 295's will fit with the 1/2" offset. Not on my '74 Duster at any rate. Maybe you could get away with more on a drag only car, but I'm talking on a street car that sees speed bumps, potholes, steep driveways etc. But that's with a significantly lowered car. If the rear wheel openings stay above the tops of the tires, you can run just about anything.

I agree. I don't need them to tuck in, but no gap between fender and tire would be perfect. I will move springs in anyways so that I have all 12.5 in of room to play with.

67 B body rear,rolled lip, 18x12, 9.1" bs and a 335/30/18.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,049
I also have a 67 valiant but I don't want to move the springs in or add tubs. I'm running 15x7 rears with 4" bs and the fronts are 15x6.5 with a (can't remember) bs and also the SS springs #'s below the 002/003.

That's not correct information. 95-01 17x8 wheels have 5.72" backspace. The wheels he is looking at are 2005-2013 17x8 with 6.29" backspace and will not work on a stock A-body rear suspension setup, and would be very close to making contact with the springs if a B-body rear is used.

Sorry about that, I pulled it off of the American Muscle web site for their aftermarket stuff. Not sure why it gave me those numbers, I looked everything up by year.

Wow. There's a lot of back and forth and too and fro here ha... Forgive me for being lazy and not wanting to read all 26 pages, but does someone in here know if 17" mustang pony rims with P215/65R17 tires might fit? If they would require spacers, etc.

Wow. There's a lot of back and forth and too and fro here ha... Forgive me for being lazy and not wanting to read all 26 pages, but does someone in here know if 17" mustang pony rims with P215/65R17 tires might fit? If they would require spacers, etc.

Do you have their dimensions? Aren't Pony wheels 4 lug?

Nope. They're stock wheels off of some of the new mustangs. In the craig'slist add, he has them listed as pony rims, but the internet says that's not what they are called. They are stock 17" rims though, for the new mustangs, 5x4.5"

Nope. They're stock wheels off of some of the new mustangs. In the craig'slist add, he has them listed as pony rims, but the internet says that's not what they are called. They are stock 17" rims though, for the new mustangs, 5x4.5"

Do you have a picture? Most know by which ones they are.

Those are 17x7" wheels. You will still have to do something with the center hubs of the rotors or the wheels.

Very cool!!

:thumbup:

I'd ask what you are doing with the old ones, but I'm in no position to do jump on them. :D

thanks Dion.
my friend may use them for his 69 Signet build, i doubt any Ford guys would buy them since they aren't hub-centric for a ford anymore.

hate to be that guy but...
im looking at the 18x9" fr500 from american muscle for my 69 valiant

im running dr diff axles in an a body housing with the mopar .75in relocation
( seems to me that it only moved in .5 per side ) and dr diff's viper caliper kit with rms uca

so the big question what do i have to do to make them work?

-
Back