Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-
hate to be that guy but...
im looking at the 18x9" fr500 from american muscle for my 69 valiant

im running dr diff axles in an a body housing with the mopar .75in relocation
( seems to me that it only moved in .5 per side ) and dr diff's viper caliper kit with rms uca

so the big question what do i have to do to make them work?

18x9 FR500's are listed with a backspace of 6.2" at American Muscle.

That should be about perfect for the front, you may still need to either open up the center register or turn down the end of the hub on your disks. I'm not sure what the register size is on the aftermarket FR500's is, you may not have to do anything at all in front.

In the back you're going to have too much backspacing, even with the spring offset. I had 17x9's with a 275/40/17 on the back of my Duster with a stock A body rear and 4.75" of backspace, and pretty much no room to the springs. So, to run an 18x9" with 6.2" backspace even with the offset I'd say you're going to need a 1" spacer. That should be about right, figure 4.75" bs for a 9" rim on an A body rear, add .5" for the offset, so thats 5.25", you're at 6.2", so a 1" spacer should put you right there.

What size tires are you planning? I'd venture that you should be able to fit 275's all the way around, of course if you go a little smaller than that it will make fitting everything a bit easier...

looking at 255/45/18 but once i get it all together i may go wider in the rear

That's a 27" tall tire. Going to be pretty hard to run that in the front.

I'd suggest a 255/40/18. That's a 26" tall tire, which is just about perfect. GmachineDartGT runs 255/40/18's all the way around on his '71 Dart.

With a Valiant a 275 in the back with just the spring offset will have to be spaced just about perfect if its going to work, the 255 is a much safer bet.

That's a 27" tall tire. Going to be pretty hard to run that in the front.

I'd suggest a 255/40/18. That's a 26" tall tire, which is just about perfect. GmachineDartGT runs 255/40/18's all the way around on his '71 Dart.

With a Valiant a 275 in the back with just the spring offset will have to be spaced just about perfect if its going to work, the 255 is a much safer bet.

good to know im looking for that 27in in the back so i can run about 2700 rpm @ 65. the front, im not too concerned with its diameter as long as it doesn't look funny.
i think the relocation kit lowered the rear about half an inch so smaller front tires will be fine.

hate to be that guy but...
im looking at the 18x9" fr500 from american muscle for my 69 valiant

im running dr diff axles in an a body housing with the mopar .75in relocation
( seems to me that it only moved in .5 per side ) and dr diff's viper caliper kit with rms uca

so the big question what do i have to do to make them work?

I would mock up the dimension of the wheel with some wood, or beg, borrow, steal a measurement tool because a 9" wide wheel in a factory tub on the Valiants and Darts is a real tight squeeze and would not want to leave that one up to another persons experience with their car.

If your car is a factory tub car, you may not e able to go much wider tire than the 255's you are looking at. I have a set of 235's, 255's, and 275's. I hear of some guys running the 275's, but the 275's would not even fit in the wheel wells of my 70 Dart with the Dr. Diff spring offset kit installed.

I tested a 275/40-17 on my 69 Valiant and there is room for it front and rear... Caveat is that this was on a 17x8" wheel, which makes it run a little thinner that it would on a 9" wheel, AND, it was a Goodyear Eagle F1 that is already relatively narrow for a 275. I think when you're getting this close to the limits of the stock wheel wells & suspension, you need to know what tire you're going to run and check everything with that tire in mind.

With my setup (67 B-body rear, stock leaf location), I have a fat half-inch... closer to an inch... between the leafspring and the tire with 275's on a 5.72" BS Cobra wheel. Outboard it's closer to the quarter:
Outer_275-40-17-01.jpg

Up front, it looks like there is plenty of room if the BS works out right. From way back in this thread:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1575493&postcount=492

Clair

don't know if someone can answer this,I've got a 68 dart installed a 69 B body 8 3/4 (I thought) moved the spring perches over 1/2 inch each side and went to put my 17 x 8 bullit rims (5.72 backspace with 245 45 17 tires)on the car I have 1 1/2 inches clearance to the leaf spring on each side but towards the quarter panel theres no way they'll fit I would almost have to eliminate the entire lip on the quater.I took a straight edge and measured the rear from the outside of the axle flange on each side of the rearend and it measures at 61 inches. I'm almost thinking its a 71 and up rear not a 69-70 that I was told.Everthing suspension wise is in the stock location
thanks

I'm almost thinking its a 71 and up rear not a 69-70 that I was told.Everthing suspension wise is in the stock location
thanks

I would guess probably so. Here's my start, middle and end of frustration for rear wheels. Either the first set wasn't what the seller claimed, or there are simply different 'Stang wheels out there. I run a Versaille 9" rear, and it's a little wider than the 7 1/4 original

The first set of four at the start of the thread hit the springs

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970081798

update I pulled the wheels off the car removed the drums ,axles and backing plates and measured the distance from the flange that the backing plate mounts to.Its 55 1/8 which looks like it should be a 68-70 B body rear.Is it normal to have 1 1/2 clearance to the leaf springs with this setup? I was expecting about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from everthing I've read.The measurement from the outside of the axle flange to the opposite side is 61 inches(is that what it should be?).From everthing I read this setup should center the wheel/tire combo perfectly in the car(not even close especially on thequarter panel side) I'm not about to remove the quater panel lip.
here's my setup
68 dart
suspension stock location
17 x 8 bullit rims 5.72 backspace
tires 245 45 17
anybody???????????????????

I had the 69 b body rear in my duster. The leafs were in the stock location with the 5.72" bs rims and 245s the tires were about 3/8 away from the springs. I think the b body rear was 59". I could be wrong.

Something doesn't add up. Almost sounds like you have a C-Body rear axle, not a B-Body. 61" drum to drum is way wide for a B-Body. Your clearance adds up for me, but only if you moved your springs in 1/2", but then the overall doesn't add up. If you moved the springs out 1/2", it makes more sense. Either way, your housing flange to flange number makes sense for a 68-70 B-Body. Things just don't add up.

BTW, the axle that makes this work all the way around is a 65-67 B-Body at 59.5". The 68-70 is 5/8" wider at 60.125".

If your axles are out, take a really accurate measument from end of splines to outside of axle flange.

My information shows:
B-Body - 65-67, 28.875", 68-70, 29.1875"
C-Body - 65-69, 30"

Might be an E-Body too, that axle should be 29.96875".

My math shows that on a typical 65-67 B-Body axle (at 59.5" drum to drum) should have about 1" clear to the springs, but I might be missing something. This is based on a 43" c-to-c spring and 2.5" spring width, and a 245/45R17 tire on a 17x8 rim with +30mm offset. 245/2 + 30 converted to inches shows about 6" from mounting surface to inside of tire. 59.5 - 6 - 6 - 43 -2.5 = 2", divided in half shows 1" clear on the inside.

Not arguing with you James, but a 69 B-Body rear axle would have been even wider than that. Don't know what you had, and maybe I am missing something, though.

When I get home from work I'll measure the axles.Most guys seem to end up with 1/4 - 1/2 inch clearance on the leafs.Which is what I need for my wheel/tire combo to clear the quarter panel.
thanks

It's been a while since I had that rear in there. From what I remember it was 59-60". Now I have and explorer 8.8 in it, that and the b body rear were within 1/2" of each other overall. My friend pulled the rear I had out of a coronet.

James, not trying to argue with you. I certainly don't know it all, nor do I know what you had.

Chart looks similar to the one I use. I got my info off Moparts and it has checked out for the most part. There are some that are way off. I like the Moparts one because it has axle lengths as well. Nothing is perfect, though.

Just curious, how much clearance between the spring and tire do you have now?

Anyone have a diagram pointing to where the measurements are taken? Drum to drum? Is that the flat front face of the drum where the back side of the wheel interfaces? I am dealing with a narrowed C body rear end and axles that is quite nicely done but appears to be barely wider than normal A body on width. Perches appear perfect though so I am good there.

With the explorer 8.8 I have 5/8" between the tire and spring but I have 275s on it now

On an 8" wheel, or 9" now?

Thanks!

Been a long time since I messed with this stuff. I forget. They are American muscle with 5.72 bs. Do they have 9s with 5.72 bs? Pretty sure they are just 8s.

They are American muscle with 5.72 bs. Do they have 9s with 5.72 bs? Pretty sure they are just 8s.

Can't remember either, but it seems like the 17x9's had 5.9xx" backspacing and a +24mm offset, but that doesn't mean AM didn't offer any with the +30mm offset, either. I think they have cut their offereing, too, as I can't even find a wheel that has the +24mm offset anymore. I think I missed my window of opportunity.

Based on some quick calculations, I can just about match your 5/8" clear with a 17x9 and +24mm offset. That's using a 59.5" width for the explorer 8.8 (based on my memory, so it is suspect). I'd guess you are running a 17x9, but I'm just guessing.

I'd like to run a 275 in the rear someday (still don't even have the 245/45R17's on it yet). How does the outside of the tire look, compared to the quarter? Good clearance? Any rubbing?

-
Back