Anyone else lose interest?

-
I go through phases. Since I've gotten my Dart in 2008 there have been two phases of 6 months or more where I wasn't interested. Its usually during the winter or something though.

You should see a doctor-HA!

As I have gotten older and more responsibility has come my way, I find I am tired and not as interested in doing the car thing. My poor car sat for two years because of lack of interest and motivation.....the car is back together and on the road, driving it helps me get interested.....until someone else's problems need to be solved.....

i know what you mean buddy. both of my cars could have been much more closer to being on the road, sometimes when ya look at all the work you gotta do as a whole it looks overwhelming. but yes, im not on fabo as much as i used to be, i mean i use to be addicted and had to be on it every 5 minutes...now its just a couple times a day, if that. but i still frequent this site :)

I usually NEVER go on FABO during the winter...if I can't drive the Dart then my interest is totally gone :(

yup. called a rut. go to a car show or a local meetup. always helps me when i see others cars on the road

Yeah I'm in a lost interest phase now,don' know if I will get back to it or not.

Im not really into it like I used to be.
I click on and look, but nothing really interests me.
Maybe it's just a phase..

Are you talking about this site, or the car hobby? This has become my favorite site, love to read about other peoples projects and look at the pictures.

But I have to admit, my passion for the hobby is weakening, it is just getting to hard to get underneath one of these cars. (no lift) Up until this last year, I was always thrashing hard, but now I have many new parts just setting there.
Also, I have several other hobbies, never have been a one hobby person.

It comes and goes, take a break for awhile and do some other work.

it is just getting to hard to get underneath one of these cars. (no lift)

My arthritis has ended "crawling around." Some time ago I bought a two -post and erected it on a frame in the back yard. It has opened a whole new world for me, although I don't have a lot of money and no shop big enough for the hoist.

If you have anyplace to put one you should seriously consider it.

Trying to get reinterested is not easy. My 69 B-Cuda is almost done, My 67 Coupe just sits in the garage, And I haven't worked on my 66 Dart, GT, V8, in 2 years.

I am in stalling a bigger Summit Rad in my 69, as it overheats, and that has sparked some interest again. I thought after I retired I would spend more time on my cars, but I haven't.

Parts prices have really gone up, in the last 3 years also, and that hasn't helped either.

barracudadave67

I think he meant the site. I have not been around much on FABO lately either, been busy with life, haven't been working on my Mopars much. Hopefully I can get some wrenching time in, I am out of a job and I have a "to do" list a mile long for house work, so I have been busy, just not with car stuff. I took a short break from the site and cars, but now I am craving them again :tonqe:

When it comes to building cars, I have the same problem, once in awhile you start to wonder "what hell am I doing.... I put thousands into this car that coulda paid off the house or money i could use"

This is why I don't go too crazy with builds anymore and stick with budget small blocks instead of going full blown hemi and race parts. It's easy to get burned out on anything you get too involved in, including relationships. Although a big part of getting burned out or stuck in a rut comes from stress or depression, it makes anything hard to enjoy.

I have many interests, Mopar A-bodies is just one. I bounce around between them as my interest waxes and wanes.

Im not really into it like I used to be.
I click on and look, but nothing really interests me.
Maybe it's just a phase..

Pretty timely thread. I feel the same way, pouring tons of money into it over the years, too much traffic in our area which makes manual brakes and steering a chore, and not enough nice weather to be enjoyable for me. Sitting in a chair at a cruise isn't much fun either. We recently bought a Jeep and putting the top down, power steering and A/C just seems more fun at the moment. In the 30 years i've been into Musclecars i've pretty much seen them all and nothing is new anymore. I'm hoping it's just a phase.

go to a car show or a local meetup. always helps me when i see others cars on the road

This helps me, and I go in spurts too... mostly it's hard to find time!

I think the best thing for me is to keep the car on the road as much as possible and not start projects until I have time to complete them totally...

I run an Automotive Repair shop so working on car has become well not so much fun. On the other hand I am new to the Mopar game. My son who is 11 picked out the car a 73 Dodge Dart Swinger for us to build and injoy. Perfect timing due to my Divorce from his mother last week. It gives me one more reason to spend as much time as I can with him. So its cars in the morning, cars in the afternoon, and yep you guessed it cars at night. It gets old but we have to keep the dream alive! Thanks for everyones help so far.

I've been on and off the car hobby for the last 7 or 8 years - mostly off. The FABO member's projects keep me interested in what others are doing, but I don't post as much as before.

I told myself THIS is the year I get the Demon on the road or get rid of it. First fire up and I found a leaking fuel pressure regulator. One bad regulator (wouldn't go below 12 pounds) followed by a good one and it's leak free. First drive reveals the Hurst inline shifter still isn't working properly despite a pro transmission shop working on it and a couple other things 2 years ago. After I got it as high as my 6 ton jackstands would allow, I got the shifter rods adjusted in about an hour - adjust, climb in the car to try it, back under to adjust some more, back in the car, repeat what felt like 1,000,000 times and I now have all 4 gears. And man does the car fly!

I've been to 1 cruise with it in 3 weeks. Temp gauge gets up to 240 and even got to 260 once. Need an aluminum rad with fans that'll pull some serious air. Climbing over the roll bars isn't as fun as it was 10 years ago - especially with my bad back. The 'glass seats don't help either. I'm not as fond of the smell of 94 octane, oil and antifreeze wafting through the cabin as I once was. I guess I don't want a race car for the street. I'd prefer a '71 Charger or a '69 -'70 Charger. Maybe drop in a 6.1 3G HEMI. I want more of a pro-touring cruiser with power windows, a/c, a sunroof would be cool.

Maybe when I get the temp down and some new back tires, I'll get it to the track. Then I'll have to decide if I keep it or sell it.

Wylde1.

I have many interests, Mopar A-bodies is just one. I bounce around between them as my interest waxes and wanes.

im the same way about once a year i will get burned out on hot rods and stuff then i will get all hung up on guns for a while usually once spring rolls around and its car season again i get into the spirit

At this point it's not so much "losing interest" as it is "not having a solid direction" and "not knowing what to do next." :(

IMHO, sometimes you have to pace yourself.

If you are spending every waking hour in the tiny details blueprinting a motor it just consumes you.

Finish a car, enjoy it for couple of years. Then move on to new or next project.

Someone had a similar post on Moparts. This reponse will be similar to the one I left on that other post.

I was dealing with the same thoughts about two years ago. Totally lost interest. Not sure what it was...lack of progress, complacency, etc. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I had just turned 36. Then I started doing other things about 6 months ago. Reconnected with some old friends. Started hiking. For some reason, the Mopar interest is coming back, which explains why I dropped off the forum for a couple years and started back up about a month ago.

My advice (as some other have mentioned already) is to step away from this hobby. Discover some new ones (even if you have other ones already). Then sooner or later, you will miss your Mopar and get back into it.

I still come here a lot because it's a great place with great people. But I don't have the interest in my Barracuda like I used to. Money's very tight, no funds for Goldie who needs front end work and brakes and other stuff.:sad7: Mind you I'm not whining I know plenty of people are going through tough times and worse.

Mine gets to be a combination of stress with life, and the overwhelmed feeling when I look at the car. I tend to be more willing to fix something on the ZJ or the bike than I am to start something on the Fish, just soooo much to do to her....

-
Back