Anyone Know of Online Engine Dyno Software so I Can Test a Few Combos?

-
I'm a little curious on just how far off these can be. I'm messing around with a stock internals 318 and pulling off nearly 400 hp with just Edelbrock heads and intake and a cam swap with 8:1 compression. That seems like a pretty lofty estimate for such low compression to me. If it's true though I'm going to have a fun summer, lol =P.

I seriously doubt a stock internal 318 with just 8 to 1 compression is making 400 h.p. even with the bolt-ons you have...that cam quest software is a little bit off...

I ran my combo through the Comp Cams software and have to say it is pretty darn close. The only problem I had was there is no place to say you are running 1.6 rockers.

Jack

I think you can just change the overall lift parameters to reflect the rockers. If I remember right I thought that the only number it used anyway was overall lift (ie lift at cam is only .3 something, but lift at valve is .5).

As for the stock internals 318 I ran the same combo in Desktop Dyno and got the same numbers. Compression doesn't really seem to make as much of a difference as I thought in the software. Upping it from 8 to 10.5:1 only bumped power maybe 70 hp or so. I thought compression made a lot more difference than that. I'm taking it all with a gain of salt though. 350 hp would still be a fun ride in a 3000 pound car, but if it's closer to 400 I won't argue, lol. How much compression can you get with just a piston change (on ~65cc Edelbrock heads)? Don't necessarily want to have to deck the block if I don't have to since I'd rather not have the car out of commission very long.

How much compression can you get with just a piston change (on ~65cc Edelbrock heads)? Don't necessarily want to have to deck the block if I don't have to since I'd rather not have the car out of commission very long.

Your stock pistons have a compression height of 1.741"
IIRC. KB167 flat tops are 1.810"... that's quite a difference. stock flat top 8.6 to 1, The KB's around 10 to 1...

Hmm, do they make any forged varieties with the similar tall compression height? I'm debating boost down the road or possibly a shot of NOS and would rather just build it up the first time than swap out pistons down the road.

Upping it from 8 to 10.5:1 only bumped power maybe 70 hp or so. I thought compression made a lot more difference than that.

70HP is a huge difference, there is no other single change you could make that would even get 1/2 that amount.

I don't know about WAY off, the prediction is as good as the data you give it....

I agree X3 on the Cam Quest software.

The accuracy TOTALLY depends on what numbers you feed it. I plugged in my head flows #’s and the rest of my combo on my stroker… I forget the exact number (I’m not at home right now...524 hp rings a bell, but I'm not sure), but it was in the low 500’s, which is what mine calculates to with track times.

FWIW, on manifold choice (I have an Air-gap) I used “dual plane”…not the high flow option even though my intake is port matched and such.

Hmm, do they make any forged varieties with the similar tall compression height? I'm debating boost down the road or possibly a shot of NOS and would rather just build it up the first time than swap out pistons down the road.

I'm sure they do. Don't know the part number right off hand but look on KB's site and I'm sure you'll find them along with a compression calculator to figure up your compression.

What did you put in for the head flow numbers? That can make a tremendous difference. In fact if the flow numbers aren't real close you don't stand a chance of getting a correct hp estimate.

Rocket I have Cam Quest downloaded and like Rob said just click on the bore and stroke to highlight it and you should be able to change it. I can on mine.

If you get into the program you can change the specs of cams to make them what you want them to be but you have to leave it named their name or for some reason it won't recognize it.
When I change stroke and bore it changes it back to default every time???

I'm not sure if I've ever tried it, but you're also making sure to change it on the left side right (if CamQuest)? If I remember right the right side is just an overview but not changeable aside from the cam choice.

-
Back