Anyone local to me capable of correcting errors on a 904 race build

-
I agree he doesnt need to respond HERE. As a retailer/service provider HE should be picking up the phone and talking to OP. NOT the other way around.

I guarantee if I had a customer drop 4500 in my lap, I doubt they would ever be pissed enough to go on a forum to complain about any slight in service. I don't even consider doing that with the $150 kits I sell.

CRT is on notice that he has an unhappy customer... take the ball and run with it. I don't need the other side of the story. Handle the issue in a professional manner.

The OP isn't some hack either. He says it's a leaker and has some concerns.

well , sadly talking to him is more than difficult. he just told me I needed to calm down and hung up .. lol , I assure you I was just trying to ask a few questions.

I just called a guy in Minneapolis, he confirmed some of my concerns in a quick phone call and funny thing is he has another 904 from same builder with problems he is working on the guy didn't want to send it back to the builder either for same reasons as me
His wife is real nice but she's only involved in the business management side.

So, we got it to a local that I trust ..been in business a long time, like 40 some years I think ..

The sprag was installed backwards, that's where the problem started .. it then broke snap ring on clutch pack, broke the pivot arm on the servo and seized the pump bushing to the convertor hub

couple thousand dollars to fix everything .. yah, cope is a great trans builder all right

So, we got it to a local that I trust ..been in business a long time, like 40 some years I think ..

The sprag was installed backwards, that's where the problem started .. it then broke snap ring on clutch pack, broke the pivot arm on the servo and seized the pump bushing to the convertor hub

couple thousand dollars to fix everything .. yah, cope is a great trans builder all right
Wow. What could "the other side" possibly say to that? I'd be pissed. Thank you for the follow up!

This is the very reason I learned to build my own transmissions, well that and the fact that I couldn't afford this hobby if I had to pay someone to do the work. No shame in being poor, but it sure is inconvenient at times. LOL

Big Dad, I hope your guy gets it fixed up, I'm ready to see videos of the wagon making some passes. :thumbsup:

We’re human….. we F’up, but it’s also how things are handled that determine the direction we go. You had your reasons for changing direction. I’m glad to see you’re moving forward.

When Darrel notified me that there was a problem with his 904 transmission I immediately got in touch with the technician that was working on the car for him to help troubleshoot it. The transmission had no forward gears and after some over the phone diagnosis it was apparent that the transmission would need to be removed from the car to be looked at. Understandably, Darrel wasn’t happy with that news. I apologized and assured him that I would make it right. I told him that I would pay for the shipping to have the transmission sent back to my shop, make whatever repairs were necessary, and then ship the transmission back to him within a couple days of when it arrived, all at absolutely no cost to him. During our phone conversation I made that offer to him at least 4 times, all while he was yelling at me, interrupting me every few words, and being totally unreasonable. I finally told him to cool off for 24 hours and call me back the next day so we could discuss it and I hung up the phone. I never heard back from him until he emailed me a link to this post. I totally understand that he is upset that his transmission has problems, I would be upset too if the situation was reversed. I tried to do what I could to resolve the situation, but he refused to even have a rational conversation with me about it.

Not gonna let you get away with bad mouthing Cope as though he doesn’t know what he is doing.
He has been a valuable resource to the Mopar community forever.
Sponsor at major Mopar racing events. Big help at such events helping racers in need( on several occasions I personally know of where there was nothing in it for him) etc, etc, etc.
The 904 in my car( that I bought second hand) has performed perfectly.
He most certainly knows as much about Mopar transmissions as anybody.
In this case it indeed looks like his shop let a mistake get out the door.
At this point in his life I doubt John himself built the unit in question, that said, he is where the buck stops when there is an issue.
It’s how he handles the issue that is the key here.
Obviously, if such a screwup was a common thing, he would have been out of business 20 years ago.
I know John personally, he can be grumpy, but he most certainly knows what he is doing. Period.

Not gonna let you get away with bad mouthing Cope as though he doesn’t know what he is doing.
Sponsor at major Mopar racing events. Big help at such events helping racers in need( on several occasions I personally know of where there was nothing in it for him) etc, etc, etc.
At this point in his life I doubt John himself built the unit in question, that said, he is where the buck stops when there is an issue.
Obviously, if such a screwup was a common thing, he would have been out of business 20 years ago.
I know John personally, he can be grumpy, but he most certainly knows what he is doing. Period.
This whole thing has stunk since the beginning.

I have it at place that will fix it , not going to send it back was the right choice , you can already see the finger pointing .. I did not yell , I was trying ask simple questions .

To resolve the problem , he hung up on me .. Now, jiust think what it would of been if I sent it to him, he would blame the problem on me, again .. all the time, the sprag was installed BACKWARDS..

Ps , I have every right as a consumer to continue to share my experience. that the transmission was put together improperly .. and the mfg thought best to just ignore an upset customer and discontinue the conversation .

all you need to know is right there

Any chance you paid with a credit card? Because it sure sounds like you didn't get what you paid for, and when the merchant made his phone go »click«, that translates into English as "Time for you to file a chargeback".
its been too long and I paid with checks

If you would have been screwed over on a 4500.00 transmission you would want it right too. What would you do if you were hung up on. I think he’s getting off easy.

If you would have been screwed over on a 4500.00 transmission you would want it right too. What would you do if you were hung up on. I think he’s getting off easy.
I get it, not a good deal all around.
Did you read what Cope posted?
Screaming in someone’s ear doesn’t help the situation either.

I get it, not a good deal all around.
Did you read what Cope posted?
Screaming in someone’s ear doesn’t help the situation either.
got breaking news for you , no one yelled anyone's ears .. I work in a religious office setting with 8 people less than 10 feet away ..

It is just an excuse . he made no attempt to resolve it ,said send it back and hung up on me

Bull$hit, I offered to have it fixed, I offered to cover the shipping, both ways, you would not stop screaming long enough to hear me, I offered this to you FOUR TIMES, I even told you to call back in 24 hours to cool down, you refused, cause you would not listen to me. So I hung up on you.

I'm done.

No one yelled , or screamed, threatened ,swore or even talked loud to you ..

I like how that is being used to avoid paying for the repairs to something you were not able to build properly ..

A simple apology would be nice at least, it doesn't cost anything to be decent.

Bull$hit, I offered to have it fixed, I offered to cover the shipping, both ways, you would not stop screaming long enough to hear me, I offered this to you FOUR TIMES, I even told you to call back in 24 hours to cool down, you refused, cause you would not listen to me. So I hung up on you.

I'm done.
The op cut off his nose, should have took you up on your offer.
I have only heard good things about your work over the years.
Enough to know you're good at what you do.

Indy has been in business for 20+ years too and I think everyone knows someone that ended up taking their product somewhere to get made right because they were not comfortable with the situation (Russ stories).

Daryl is mad, who wouldn’t be, but also wants his car running sooner than later. I think one of his fears was getting the trans repaired in a timely manner and probably looked back on the amount of time it took to get the trans in the first place as a bad sign, and just decided to eat it.

…..and I don’t have a 904 case laying around right now but I find it interesting that it’s even possible to install a sprag backwards. Good to know for sure.

Internet is a big place , plenty of places to comment, start posts about this situation , I'm sure plenty will enjoy learning where best to use their hard earned dollars to buy from

here is a picture of my call timer , It starts as soon as I dial the phone and I held for a large portion of the call , just how much yelling could I do in 30 seconds ?

The other picture shows just how close my CSR's sit to my office and I'm not about to let them hear me "yell" at anyone, we keep office very quiet intentionally.

call.jpg

office.jpg

-
Back