Bare Bones Budget 400 Build

-
Looks great! Same color I'm doing my 360 in.

ehhhh....probably "not". This is VHT's version of Chrysler turquoise. It's got too much blue in it. It's not quite Chrysler blue. It'll do though. lol

Damn triple R, your fixin to get ready to play with the big dogs...:thumbsup:...

We'll see. I still gotta locate a bellhousing. That might hang me up a minute. I have a good friend basically donating a transmission and drive shaft, and Brewer's has the 400 cast crank flywheel they modify for external balance. Once I get "all that" then I can see about fitment.

ehhhh....probably "not". This is VHT's version of Chrysler turquoise. It's got too much blue in it. It's not quite Chrysler blue. It'll do though. lol
Yea I bought the mopar brand aerosol paint its pretty close. I like that color after I get mine painted we will have to compare the differences haha

Yea I bought the mopar brand aerosol paint its pretty close. I like that color after I get mine painted we will have to compare the differences haha

You're talkin about Mopar blue. I'm talkin about Turquoise. This is closer to Mopar blue, but it's not. I may end up getting the real Mopar turquoise and repainting everything before it's done. It's got more green in it. This is supposed to but it doesn't. It's called "early Chrysler blue". What you're using or going to use is probably just Chrysler blue. What I have is a poor artistic interpretation. LOL

Got the other valve cover blasted and painted. At least it looks good. lol

400 DREAMIN3.jpg

400 DREAMIN2.jpg

You're talkin about Mopar blue. I'm talkin about Turquoise. This is closer to Mopar blue, but it's not. I may end up getting the real Mopar turquoise and repainting everything before it's done. It's got more green in it. This is supposed to but it doesn't. It's called "early Chrysler blue". What you're using or going to use is probably just Chrysler blue. What I have is a poor artistic interpretation. LOL
Yea what I have is Chrysler blue it was used from like 73-86 or something like that

Yea what I have is Chrysler blue it was used from like 73-86 or something like that

Yeah that's the real blue. I like it.....and I may leave mine like it is. The real turquoise is hard to find now. Kitty has actually kinda kept up with this build this time. She looked at me last night and said "damn, Mopar guys have it tough all the way around. Even your paint is hard to find" lol

We'll see. I still gotta locate a bellhousing. That might hang me up a minute. I have a good friend basically donating a transmission and drive shaft, and Brewer's has the 400 cast crank flywheel they modify for external balance. Once I get "all that" then I can see about fitment.
Those big block bellhousings go for around $450 around here..

I know. Shut up. lol If that's the case, that will be my single biggest expenditure.
Well I was wrong the one our local Craigslist is 550 LOL... You need to get your job back at O'Reilly's and start selling some windshield wiper blades LOL:poke:...

Never understood how people disregarded the 383, if they came out with a 340 race block with spec like a 383 people would be tripping over themselves to buy one, but many have one just sitting under a bench cause it's not a 440.
cuz it's not a 400, I have 383s & 440s laying around lol

I agree, but I also think the 400 stock stroke engine can be made to be a very torquey street engine. Even low compression. I'm certainly headed in the direction to find out.
Some YouTube guy has a stock stroke 400 with 1.928 ch 440 smog pistons he made 530 hp & it's a revver with a tunnel ram. I had a fairly simple built 400 in a daily driver73 charger se back in highschool, it put a 474 purple shaft, headers, windage tray, mopar version of the edelbrock dual plane & a 625 carter.
Then used 3.92 gears from a dakota (8.25 rear end) went from 17.50 seconds to 14.20 in a week's worth of work, shift kit & tuned the thing & that fat beeitch went 13.80s, yeah I know....but you don't need my autograph or to give me an award.

I think with engine heat cycles it adds more green to it. But I'm dumb twice a day

I think with engine heat cycles it adds more green to it. But I'm dumb twice a day

It might. I don't know. At this point, it's not something I'm gonna waste anymore money on. LOL

Some YouTube guy has a stock stroke 400 with 1.928 ch 440 smog pistons he made 530 hp & it's a revver with a tunnel ram. I had a fairly simple built 400 in a daily driver73 charger se back in highschool, it put a 474 purple shaft, headers, windage tray, mopar version of the edelbrock dual plane & a 625 carter.
Then used 3.92 gears from a dakota (8.25 rear end) went from 17.50 seconds to 14.20 in a week's worth of work, shift kit & tuned the thing & that fat beeitch went 13.80s, yeah I know....but you don't need my autograph or to give me an award.

I thought about it. I almost hit buy it now on some NOS forged 440 pistons that would have brought compression up out of the dismals, but that would sorta defeat the purpose, which is to show you can have something respectable in a stock stroke, stock compression 400. They really get a bad rap. When I'm done, it'll melt tires on command and idle in traffic all day. What more could you want?

I know. Shut up. lol If that's the case, that will be my single biggest expenditure.
I just bought one for $300 but its going in my Challenger.
Brewers does sell a repo big block bell, that is reasonable.
Trust me they are hard to find, plus most originals have stripped holes, etc.

Never understood how people disregarded the 383, if they came out with a 340 race block with spec like a 383 people would be tripping over themselves to buy one, but many have one just sitting under a bench cause it's not a 440.
Ummmm, a 383 is a 4.25 bore?
Certain MP race blocks can go 4.22 as listed by MP.
A 383 stroke is 3.38? A 340 stroke is 3.31, but also, they )MP) used to sell many different stroke, stroker cranks. One of which is a 3.45 stroke. Coupled with a 4.2 bore, it equals 382.38. Close enough? LMAO! @ 4.21 = 384.21, 4.22 = 386.03.

Not cheap though!

Still, IMO, the short stroke big blocks are like, well, big small blocks. A stock stroke low deck would still be OK in my book.

I just bought one for $300 but its going in my Challenger.
Brewers does sell a repo big block bell, that is reasonable.
Trust me they are hard to find, plus most originals have stripped holes, etc.

They do and I'll get one, but they don't have one right now. Naturally.

They do and I'll get one, but they don't have one right now. Naturally.
Hey when you take the slant out of your car, I could use the bell and flywheel, if a 4-speed will bolt to it.

Hey when you take the slant out of your car, I could use the bell and flywheel, if a 4-speed will bolt to it.

It will not, but I am keeping all of the original drive train. I may end up putting it back.

Which four speed do you need a bellhousing for? Standard 833 or the OD transmission?

-
Back