Bare Bones Budget 400 Build

-
She should have hit you in the head with something heavy.
While I agree I married probably one of the nicest sweetest people I've ever met in my entire life and the thought would have never crossed her mind... Lucky me..

Last edited:
Heads, valve gear, valve covers and intake all bolted on.

400 AND ME.jpg

You handsome devil Rob. That engine looks awesome!
What did you end up with for a final budget? Curious minds and such. Lol.

Now I'm the last one who's going to preach against the four speed.. BUT...
A core 727 for $100 and another $200 for a rebuild kit and shift kit for a grand total of $300 we could be seeing some tire smoke the century...

Now I'm the last one who's going to preach against the four speed.. BUT...
A core 727 for $100 and another $200 for a rebuild kit and shift kit for a grand total of $300 we could be seeing some tire smoke the century...

Who said anything about a four speed? It's stayin three on the tree.

All seed busting a side it does look really good..:thumbsup:...

Thanks. As my friend Billy Peyton (RIP) would say if he was still here "good job of makin chicken salad outta chicken ****, Robber Dobber". Man I miss that guy.

Your money your way...:thumbsup:...

It's gonna be what I've always called a "what if" car, since I am dressing it out like a 383 Commando. You know...."what if" Plymouth had built it? There certainly would have been an option for the three speed.....of course, it "probably" would have been a floor shift, but I like the three on the tree. It's cool and you don't see many around. It's all here and it works great, so why throw it away? Also, there are no plans whatsoever to speed shift. Just no need for it. If I want to burn rubber, I'll just mash on the gas pedal. And yeah, if I "ever" decide to take it to the track, I'll granny shift the hell out of it, to make sure nothing breaks. It'll "still" be way smokin faster than a slant six Valiant.

Last edited:
It's gonna be what I've always called a "what if" car, since I am dressing it out like a 383 Commando. You know...."what if" Plymouth had built it? There certainly would have been an option for the three speed.....of course, it "probably" would have been a floor shift, but I like the three on the tree. It's cool and you don't see many around. It's all here and it works great, so why throw it away? Also, there are no plans whatsoever to speed shift. Just no need for it. If I want to burn rubber, I'll just mash on the gas pedal. And yeah, if I "ever" decide to take it to the track, I'll granny shift the hell out of it, to make sure nothing breaks. It'll "still" be somkin faster than a slant six Valiant.
"IF" you ever want to burn rubber...?...
PLEASE!!....

Rob, final product looks great.

Did you post what the final main and rod bearing clearances were? I might have missed it.

There certainly would have been an option for the three speed.....of course, it "probably" would have been a floor shift, but I like the three on the tree. It's cool and you don't see many around. It's all here and it works great, so why throw it away?

Which trans are you putting in this, an A230 maybe? I'll be interested to see how your linkages work out to keep the three-on-the-tree.

-
Back