Bare Bones Budget 400 Build

-
I never heard of a 3 spd being standard behind a big block, just 4 spd’s. The small block and /6, yes!

I never heard of a 3 spd being standard behind a big block, just 4 spd’s. The small block and /6, yes!
3spds were actually standard on 340 Dusters/Darts and Road Runner/Super Bee after 1969 (IE:1970) as a way to keep the base price of 340 and 383 models under $3000 (B-body) and I think $2700 (A-body) like 1968/9 with 4spds.

^^^ There you go!!!!!
My dad was like my buddy's dad "Son, those 4 speeds are for drag racing you will kill your dang fool self!" He was probably right!

I talked to Brewers. They have the flywheel modified for the cast crank 400 but no bellhousing right now. SO I guess I better start lookin "for that". lol

3spds were actually standard on 340 Dusters/Darts and Road Runner/Super Bee after 1969 (IE:1970) as a way to keep the base price of 340 and 383 models under $3000 (B-body) and I think $2700 (A-body) like 1968/9 with 4spds.

Thanks. I thought that was the case.

On the small blocks, I knew that but not the year it became so. I had zero idea on the B/RB.
Thanks!

I did it again, yall. I'm sorry. I just caint get used to the fact I'm supposed to be recordin this stuff. At any rate, here it is. The basic short block.

400 SHORT.jpg

400 SHORT1.jpg

Sweet. How far down r the pistons?

I don't know. I haven't measured them yet. The "math" says .1225" but that's if the block and everything else is by the book. I actually don't plan to even measure it. lol I guess since you asked, I will.

Last edited:
I had a 3 speed in my F100. Its ok if you like taking it easy.

I had a 3 speed in my F100. Its ok if you like taking it easy.

Meh.....the A230 will hold up fine. It's the heavy duty version. This is a 7.5:1 400 we're talkin about here. In a 2700 pound car. lol

I had a 1963 sport fury ,361 big block , 3 speed on the tree , 'WITH BUCKET SEATS AND A CONSOLE , FROM THE FACTORY !!

I had a 1963 sport fury ,361 big block , 3 speed on the tree , 'WITH BUCKET SEATS AND A CONSOLE , FROM THE FACTORY !!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an automatic (pushbutton on the dash) '63 have the same console? No shifter! I know a '65 had a cable-shifted trans with a floor shifter auto, but I'm sketchy remembering what a bucket seat PB car had in '63 ('64?). Cool car you had, BTW!

Or dowhat my dad did when I was a kid (long time ago!) Save gas by skipping third. I have actually seen him turn off the engine going down a small SW Ga hill to coast for a little , gas was that low!!!! Bad when 29 cent a gal gas is an issue!!!!!

Or dowhat my dad did when I was a kid (long time ago!) Save gas by skipping third. I have actually seen him turn off the engine going down a small SW Ga hill to coast for a little , gas was that low!!!! Bad when 29 cent a gal gas is an issue!!!!!

Kinda hard to skip third with a three speed.....and save gas anyway. LOL

^^^ Ha I meant to say he skipped second! I tried it once and had to ask myself "really"????? You know thngs were tight if someone paid a $1 for gas at the pump and the price was .29 a gal!!!

-
Back