barracuda 4 speed shifter linkage problem

-

brian 1972

Reaction score
installed a four speed tranny in a 68 barracuda the tranny was an e model fixed a adapter plate moved the shifter forward from the tailshaft now the cross member is in the way of the shifter linkage any on have suggestions to how to run the linkage

If I recall, one linkage goes below the crossmember, and 2 go above it. I can't check though, my junk is too far buried. As Jim said, pictures of what you are dealing with might help.

here is what i'm dealing with have 2 linkages hooked up but out of rom for the 3rd

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

I exactly have that too; 68 Barracuda with an E-body tail.
I solved those problems by raising up the shifter, and moving it back 7 or 8 inches.. I raised it up high enough to install the top bolt from the cabin side just above the floor.I used the rearmost mount. I had to fabricate some spacers to move the shifter to the outboard side. Then it was a straight shot over the Crossmember.Try to get your rods BOTH up there; the reverse can drop under.I put all my adjusters at the shifter ends, except reverse . I used steel tubing and welded in the stumps.I think it was 7/16 ID seamless.
Your front lever is on upside down; is that an O/D mainbox?
If you raise that shifter and move it back between the buckets, your miss-shifts will be a thing of the past.I put mine so far back that with my hand on the ball, in neutral, my upper arm hangs nearly vertical.Now I can ram that stick through the 2-3 gate with my back braced in the bucket; Ba-Bam!

Last edited:
i have never had the arms off is it upside down
That depends on the gears inside the box. Upside down is correct for overdrive
But for all Direct fourth ratios, the front lever should be pointing up,like the one behind it.
Now, E-bodies never came with O/Ds, so that is why I asked. That is not to say that someone didn't put an E tail behind an F front, however unlikely that would be. So you are gonna need to prove which it is that you have.
And the usual way to do that is to put the tranny into third gear, and spin the input shaft, then compare the input turns to the output turns. That will be a little difficult with the tranny installed.
So when in third gear,if; the output shaft turns faster than the input, then you have an O/D gearset. But if the output shaft turns slower than the input, then it is a non-O/D set.
Third gear is selected by moving the internal shift fork to the rear.In your case with the lever pointing down, you will need to push that lever towards the engine.
You will need to mark either the clutch or the balancer, and matching reference points, and similarly,the driveshaft.Then turn the engine over exactly one revolution. Then check the driveshaft mark relative to its reference mark.

Last edited:
yea i have stopped on it til i figure something out u say u moved the shifter toward the back of the car a few inches u like it pretty good like that

Yeah I like it a lot. I'm never going back to that front mount. I bought my first A-body in 1970, and have had stick Mopes nearly ever since. I never liked that front mount or that truck shifter. I bought a Mr.Gasket Bang Shifter, with a really short straight-leg shifter, in about 71/72, and it found it's way onto every stick-car since. This last car got it in 99, but I didn't move it back until about 2002 or so.
What I did was get my seat set up where I liked it, for clutching, and the back angle where it was comfortable. Then I hung my upper arm straight down and extended my forearm out to where I thought would be a good place for the ball to be, and made a chalkmark there below my curled up fingers, right beside my thigh. (Leave room for your seat-tracks and a boot-ring).Then I moved the mark ahead about 2 inches.Shazzam! That's where I put it and that's where it stayed.Of course the factory console wouldn't fit, so it went into the rafters. That beast weighs more than my wife did on our wedding day anyway,so good riddance.It takes more power to drag that thing around than a teener makes on the back two cylinders too! Goodbye I said!

Last edited:
-
Back