BB 1968 Cuda issues

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Im having some issues with my 1968 Cuda race car, tonight I was working on the front end and noticed that the builder used a e body 071 oil pan. They cut a huge piece out of the k member to fit the pan,
I will not be racing the car.
My question is should I find a 893 oil pan and replacement k Member or just leave it as it is.
I would like to drive the car to shows

I had a Dodge Aspen when I was young. I dropped in a 383. Instead of getting a rear sump pan. I cut the section of crossmember out and boxed it in with steel. If they cut your cross member out more then a few inches past the lip I would replace it.If they only cut a few inches I would box it in with some plate steel.

I have repaired factory 383 k-members before using a slant or small block k-frame cutting out what I needed after cleaning up the cut one and taking copius measurements then welding it all together. Another way to do it is get one of those mentioned k-frames and cutting off the motor mounts from both and welding the big block mounts onto the donor frame.

The 187 and 699 pans fit good too, without having to get a 2nd mortgage.

The 893 pans are repopped by Vans Auto for $200, I gave them one of mine a couple years ago, they are nice...

The more you cut the easier it is to work on the engine in the car. Plus lighter.

Steve 121.JPG

If the cut out area is boxed in then run it. Nothing wrong with it.

-
Back