Best Cylinder Head Porting Shop/Vendor- Your Experiences w/Results

-
You sound like you don't know ****. But that seems to be a pretty common theme with what I've seen of your posts. I am looking for someone to do porting on my heads this winter. Rather than just pick someone I was hoping to hear peoples experiences and results so I can pick the best person. I don't feel the need to let every random tom dick and harry on the internet see where I live so yeah I don't have a location picked.

Excuse me for trying to get a thread started with actual facts and helpful stats so people who want to have their heads ported can make informed decisions. If it was compiled in this thread people could easily search for it and make a decision based on what they see. Rather than having info scattered all across the forum which can be hard to find.

For the record, I don't port heads nor do I know anyone that ports heads. That's why I asked for information. I'd prefer not to throw my money away this winter on someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Have a nice day Mr know it all :rofl:

LMAO!! I think you pretty much nailed it.

Dwayne Porter (PRH) is a great guy to deal with and a straight shooter. Plus, he doesn't mind sharing his knowledge and explaining it in detail. I don't know where you're located but I'd at least give him a call and pick his brain.

I don't port heads

Exactly. Btw you're paranoid ....or have done people wrong to be hiding.
There is another guy on here that always asked for his face to be hidden from group photos because he talked so much garbage to people.. real popular here too.

You have much to learn boy.

Last edited:
LMAO!! I think you pretty much nailed it.

Dwayne Porter (PRH) is a great guy to deal with and a straight shooter. Plus, he doesn't mind sharing his knowledge and explaining it in detail. I don't know where you're located but I'd at least give him a call and pick his brain.

Back on ignore, keyboard warrior.

exactly why im not posting here much anymore. same old wads.

@68Dart500

One of the problems you will typically find is that people will go from unported to ported and also change other components like the camshaft. It's very hard to find a person that has data where the only change was going to ported. You might possibly find some info in a magazine test

Dwayne at PRH, Brian IMM, Radar, Brett Miller, pittsburghracer are all solid guys that do good porting. Most of them will port to the application. Big numbers are great if you are actually using them. No sense in having a big number at 600 lift if the cam is only 550... Lots of time the lower range suffers a bit when the high end numbers are big. There are trade off all along the flow ladder.

Modern Cylinder Head did a cnc port on my 440 Source Stealth heads and a valve job. Two week turnaround was right on the money. They look nice and work well. My car is not a track car so no e.t. or 1/4 mile times. I'm happy with the street drivability and performance.
20190220_175926.jpg

Exactly. Btw you're paranoid ....or have done people wrong to be hiding.
There is another guy on here that always asked for his face to be hidden from group photos because he talked so much garbage to people.. real popular here too.

You have much to learn boy.

Pure gold! :rofl:

Until now I've only read others comments about you and thought to myself that for an internet warrior you sure seem to "know" a lot about everyone else. It's uncanny how good you are at sizing up a situation or a person without ever having met them or interacting with them or knowing any facts at all for that matter /sarcasm.

I mean seriously the **** that you shovel is ridiculous. It's entertaining to watch you come up with these ridiculous posts. I've been waiting all day hoping you'd reply and you didn't disappoint, so thank you for that. You are an endless source of entertainment and I mean that from the bottom of my heart!
Please research me for hours! Pay for background searches, chase leads, question the locals... you never know what might be hiding under a rock lol. :popcorn:. By the way Sherlock, anyone with half a brain could find out where I live (which might be why you couldn't figure it out). I posted right in my intro thread and my build thread where I was from as well as my name... Here's a link in case it's hard to figure out how to find threads. ;). New Member - 1968 Dart

tenor.gif

@68Dart500

One of the problems you will typically find is that people will go from unported to ported and also change other components like the camshaft. It's very hard to find a person that has data where the only change was going to ported. You might possibly find some info in a magazine test

Dwayne at PRH, Brian IMM, Radar, Brett Miller, pittsburghracer are all solid guys that do good porting. Most of them will port to the application. Big numbers are great if you are actually using them. No sense in having a big number at 600 lift if the cam is only 550... Lots of time the lower range suffers a bit when the high end numbers are big. There are trade off all along the flow ladder.

Yeah that's true. I plan to swap from a hydraulic flat tappet to a solid roller when I have my heads done so my results will be skewed as well. Thanks for the list of guys too, I've added those to my list of possibilities.

Modern Cylinder Head did a cnc port on my 440 Source Stealth heads and a valve job. Two week turnaround was right on the money. They look nice and work well. My car is not a track car so no e.t. or 1/4 mile times. I'm happy with the street drivability and performance.
View attachment 1715371226

Thanks for the reply. They are one that is on my possibility list too.

Nice Car.

AndyF might have some test data on his builds if you search here and Moparts. He built a bunch of BB stroker stuff and wrote a book as well. Might be some info there.

Nice Car.

AndyF might have some test data on his builds if you search here and Moparts. He built a bunch of BB stroker stuff and wrote a book as well. Might be some info there.

Thanks! I'll look into that guy.

Pure gold! :rofl:

Until now I've only read others comments about you and thought to myself that for an internet warrior you sure seem to "know" a lot about everyone else. It's uncanny how good you are at sizing up a situation or a person without ever having met them or interacting with them or knowing any facts at all for that matter /sarcasm.

I mean seriously the **** that you shovel is ridiculous. It's entertaining to watch you come up with these ridiculous posts. I've been waiting all day hoping you'd reply and you didn't disappoint, so thank you for that. You are an endless source of entertainment and I mean that from the bottom of my heart!
Please research me for hours! Pay for background searches, chase leads, question the locals... you never know what might be hiding under a rock lol. :popcorn:. By the way Sherlock, anyone with half a brain could find out where I live (which might be why you couldn't figure it out). I posted right in my intro thread and my build thread where I was from as well as my name... Here's a link in case it's hard to figure out how to find threads. ;). New Member - 1968 Dart

View attachment 1715371239
Not even reading your posts past the 1st line. You have no life and surely have plenty of problems if you sat waiting all day for my reply.

You wouldn't know what was in anyones shovel... because... "I don't port heads and i don't know anyone that does"..
aka ..You don't know what you're even talking about.

If you really would like to learn...
you probably wouldn't make statements like "i waited all day for your reply"..

Have a great day kiddo.

Not even reading your posts past the 1st line. You have no life and surely have plenty of problems if you sat waiting all day for my reply.

You wouldn't know what was in anyones shovel... because... "I don't port heads and i don't know anyone that does"..
aka ..You don't know what you're even talking about.

If you really would like to learn...
you probably wouldn't make statements like "i waited all day for your reply"..

Have a great day kiddo.

There is this thing called "being facetious". I think most people would realize I was joking when I said I was waiting around all day for your reply... Was I literally waiting around all day?.... To answer that in case you still aren't sure. No.

Again you make assumptions based on the lack facts. Just because I don't port heads or don't know someone personally that ports heads doesn't mean I don't know anything about them.

Take care buddy!

Modern Cylinder Head did a great job on my big block Edelbrocks years ago. I believe Jeff was the gentlman's name I dealt with.

Modern Cylinder Head did a great job on my big block Edelbrocks years ago. I believe Jeff was the gentlman's name I dealt with.

Yeah, Jeff was good and unfortunately lost a battle with cancer in 2013. His brother is running the shop now. Just make sure about time to complete work wherever you go.

I believe the guy's name is Cody. If you can get him away from his metal antlers. lol
When you mention head porting Jim and Cody Laroy are among the best.
I know they are retired , but I had to give a shoutout.
Hopefully Cody gets back to it, porting is an art with not to many artists left.

Yeah, Jeff was good and unfortunately lost a battle with cancer in 2013. His brother is running the shop now. Just make sure about time to complete work wherever you go.

And don’t pay for anything in advance except for upgraded parts.

I've used heads ported by myself, Dwayne Porter, Ryan at Shady Dell, and Indy on mine and customers' engines. I accept flow bench readings as partial truth no matter whose bench it is.
Be realistic with your goals, understand that good work is not low budget, and ask for referrals that race regularly on the track. Lots do average or below work, some do good, a lower percentage does really well, and some are damn artists. CNC means jack **** in terms of quality control. The value of it is because it has the potential to make good money assuming you have the numbers to produce to make developing the multiple programs needed for a given head and overcome equipment costs.

Those I would not use: Indy, Hughes.

I fully agree, porting is part art and experience.

You don't hire a sign paiter to forge the mona lisa and you dont hire a high school kid to write your trigonometry thesis....

Theres a reason the folks who are good at what they do are not cheep.

They dont need to be.

I think in your case what you should do is call the porter of your choice that is close to you. Talk to them about your engine. Go to their shop, look around.

Ask what they can do to reach your goal and how much it will cost.

If you want to make power there is nothing beter than having a friend or a shop that you trust.

Like others have said, port flow is just a part of the equation.

-
Back