Best performing non offset Small block Mopar heads

-
I haven’t read the whole thread so excuse me if it’s been posted already, but are there any YouTube videos of your car? At the track or even a street race? Sounds pretty gnarly. And if you don’t mind, about how much money do you have wrapped up in the engine package? Thanks.

8600, I turned my 434 7900 once and it scared me to death. :steering:
Was by accident but was giving a friend a ride in it on the street and ofcourse the tire just gets blown off it and I stayed in it longer than I probably should have with a small tire and a lot of power but when we got back to the shop I hit the highest RPM recall and it was 9500........I was like yikes......

I'm pretty sure Brett Miller was the man behind the first run of these that failed 3-4 years ago.

how did they fail? Were there multiple motors put together that were underachievers? i remember the thread here and the motor made decent power up top and was a little light on torque but it could’ve been the intake and borderline low compression if i remember correctly. So the heads weren’t a magic bullet so to speak. So were there other engines too??

how did they fail? Were there multiple motors put together that were underachievers? i remember the thread here and the motor made decent power up top and was a little light on torque but it could’ve been the intake and borderline low compression if i remember correctly. So the heads weren’t a magic bullet so to speak. So were there other engines too??
"Fail" may have been poor word choice. If I remember correctly they just didn't make the power that was expected of them. Been a couple years since reading that thread. Seems like there were 3 sets of heads involved. Hughes big mouth, Bloomers and maybe another. Might have only been the two heads.

Wasn't trying to convince anybody about PBR, and I already said I will never make any excuses for my hard earned success and with that said there are things that I am interested in learning and things that I know would be better off leaving to a professional.......perfect example would be who on here can develop and build from essentially scratch a 1000hp N/A small block mopar engine THAT LIVES WITHOUT ISSUES? I will wait............
If you have the money, BOOM there it its, instance gratification! (not really, it probably took a long time to get it out of the machine shop)
If you have little cash but LOTS of TIME. them, That instance gratification you have too take one bite at a time. I have been taking one bite at a time for 30 plus years on my car.
There are a 100 ways to skin a cat. and these examples are only but two. There not Right. There not wrong. One is not better then the other..........except for the person behind the wheel.
We all have Hit the oops button, we have all made grate strides toward are future performance.
It's just life!!!!
By the way, liked your video.
looks and sound grate going down the track!:D

Personally I would like to see them figure out what the issue was with the original heads (don’t remember hearing what it was).

I too would have liked hearing about how they determined a new port design was needed.

I’m sure the evolution of the head from version 1 to version 2 would make for interesting reading.

Nice run, that sounds incredible!
Was by accident but was giving a friend a ride in it on the street and ofcourse the tire just gets blown off it and I stayed in it longer than I probably should have with a small tire and a lot of power but when we got back to the shop I hit the highest RPM recall and it was 9500........I was like yikes......
This would have caused me to wet myself, my crank would wind up in the glove box long before then:D
I too would have liked hearing about how they determined a new port design was needed.

I’m sure the evolution of the head from version 1 to version 2 would make for interesting reading.

Hopefully we hear something, just for my curiosity and to learn something. I would think most successful methods of making non offset heads work would have been figured out, but sure I’m wrong.

Nice run, that sounds incredible!

This would have caused me to wet myself, my crank would wind up in the glove box long before then:D

Hopefully we hear something, just for my curiosity and to learn something. I would think most successful methods of making non offset heads work would have been figured out, but sure I’m wrong.

Give Rod Bloomer a call. 574-340-5470

Give Rod Bloomer a call. 574-340-5470
I would, unfortunately I’m not smart enough in head design to ask intelligent questions. That’s why I enjoy people like PRH and John’s inputs as they break it down in ways I can understand.

So I guess what your getting at is that every member on here could develop, check critical clearances and assemble a 1000hp engine and have ZERO ISSUES that is shifted at 8600 rpm.......SURE BUD.....

I gotta admit for a non offset head that’s a good runner. Is that a ProMaxx, Edelbrock, Speedmaster, or factory casting.

I gotta admit for a non offset head that’s a good runner. Is that a ProMaxx, Edelbrock, Speedmaster, or factory casting.
It's a street/strip W9 that Brett Miller did, the only reason I posted it is in response to you asking if I had any cars of my own. The engine obviously doesn't fit into the jist of the original thread but was provided to you so that you could see one of the cars.

All non offset heads are basically in the same category. All of them can make 550-620 HP range. Only can take a non offset head so far. Can only do so much and it’s maxed out. After that a W series/ Indy head is what is needed to make higher HP.
It is nice to see more attention to the SBM crowd. TF, Eddie, Promaxx, Speedmaster……and now the Bloomer head is back. Just means more options for us SB guys.

All non offset heads are basically in the same category. All of them can make 550-620 HP range. Only can take a non offset head so far. Can only do so much and it’s maxed out. After that a W series/ Indy head is what is needed to make higher HP.
It is nice to see more attention to the SBM crowd. TF, Eddie, Promaxx, Speedmaster……and now the Bloomer head is back. Just means more options for us SB guys.
This we can 100% agree on, nothing out there will outperform an offset rocker head. For the record myself or YR never said a trick flow (or any std. port head) would beat an offset rocker head, just they are the best option out there for the money. As a matter of fact YR is a w2/w5 W anything freak.
I have to say
@'68cuda416 regardless of your tact :D, your car is bad *** and is the style I like. I am giving up some performance to drive mine on the street (and keep the four speed) but a power adder will help that.

My attitude is the more speed parts for mopars the better and I would really like to see more info/tech specs on the bloomer heads as well as to find out what the intention was with them, sadly we may never know.

Last edited:
This we can 100% agree on, nothing out there will outperform an offset rocker head. For the record myself or YR never said a trick flow (or any std. port head) would beat an offset rocker head, just they are the best option out there for the money. As a matter of fact YR is a w2/w5 W anything freak.
I have to say
@'68cuda416 regardless of your tact :D, your car is bad *** and is the style I like. I am giving up some performance to drive mine on the street (and keep the four speed) but a power adder will help that.

My attitude is the more speed parts for mopars the better and I would really like to see more info/tech specs on the bloomer heads as well as to find out what the intention was with them, sadly we may never know.
Thank you and I agree with you on the points you made

Whatever happened with the Edelbrock Victor heads? I thought that was a great “in between” head making more power than replacement heads but not as exotic as the W heads. Seems it never really caught on.

I didn't read all the bickering in pages 2-8 (just skimmed it)...but to the OP's question, here my example of a good running non offset head combo:

My car is not the fastest, but it works well....it has gone 10.1 at 130.5 mph with my small carb in decent air....normally runs low 10.3's in the summer heat. This is in my ~3250-3200 lbs 67 Barracuda (not positive on the weight since I have not weighed it in a few years). I think it could do ~132-133mph with better air and the big carb.

The combo:
360 block, Scat 4" steel crank, Scat I-beams, forged Icon pistons, 13:1 compression, e85, Stage II ported Edelbrock heads by Ryan Johnson, 57cc chamber, Victor intake, home made 750 e85 carb (also have a 950 e85 carb for it), 1 3/4 Headman Hustlers,
Hughes solid cam 264/268 @ 0.05 with ~0.620 lift (if I recall correctly), 8" converter
727, TA valve body, 8 3/4, spool, 35 spline axels with 4.10 gears, Hooiser DR 275/60/15's + the full Caltracs setup and 3" Dynomax race bullets.

I didn't read all the bickering in pages 2-8 (just skimmed it)...but to the OP's question, here my example of a good running non offset head combo:

My car is not the fastest, but it works well....it has gone 10.1 at 130.5 mph with my small carb in decent air....normally runs low 10.3's in the summer heat. This is in my ~3250-3200 lbs 67 Barracuda (not positive on the weight since I have not weighed it in a few years). I think it could do ~132-133mph with better air and the big carb.

The combo:
360 block, Scat 4" steel crank, Scat I-beams, forged Icon pistons, 13:1 compression, e85, Stage II ported Edelbrock heads by Ryan Johnson, 57cc chamber, Victor intake, home made 750 e85 carb (also have a 950 e85 carb for it), 1 3/4 Headman Hustlers,
Hughes solid cam 264/268 @ 0.05 with ~0.620 lift (if I recall correctly), 8" converter
727, TA valve body, 8 3/4, spool, 35 spline axels with 4.10 gears, Hooiser DR 275/60/15's + the full Caltracs setup and 3" Dynomax race bullets.
Dude. Your car is the chit legends are made of. Always has been. I love that thing.

The combo:

Didn’t you run nitrous at one time. Did you ever try it on that combo?

Didn’t you run nitrous at one time. Did you ever try it on that combo?
I have not used nitrous since I switched from stock stroke to stroker motors (so, since 2008). I have considered it....but when I built the current motor I did not gap my rings for nitrous use (since I'm already pushing the limits of my rods and block). My cheater setup now sits on a shelf collecting dust, because I don't trust my self having it installed on the car....the temptation to get that one 9 second time slip would be too much for me to handle, lol.

Edit: To answer your question directly, no, I have not used it on this combo. I built this engine about 3 years ago.

Fly fish your car and combo run awesome and my new build is inspired by/ kind of based off it

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. No shame in copying. Or building something super similar. It’s proven combo you know it works! How do you go wrong with that?!

I have not used nitrous since I switched from stock stroke to stroker motors (so, since 2008). I have considered it....but when I built the current motor I did not gap my rings for nitrous use (since I'm already pushing the limits of my rods and block). My cheater setup now sits on a shelf collecting dust, because I don't trust my self having it installed on the car....the temptation to get that one 9 second time slip would be too much for me to handle, lol.

Edit: To answer your question directly, no, I have not used it on this combo. I built this engine about 3 years ago.

I’m in the same spot. Most big money bracket racers have nitrous on their cars to play top end games. I’ve kicked it around as I have almost everything sitting here unused for my heads up car. I’ve never tried nitrous so trying it could be very let’s say costly to me. Lol.

-
Back