Best stroker combo?

-
When you build a 500hp engine you are almost guaranteed to need new rods and pistons and having the assembly balanced isn't even a question.

In that scenario the only money you're truly saving is the cost of a crankshaft itself. (lol this is something of a sore point for me coz I didn't stroke my 318 but it ended up costing me as much as if I would have)

Last time I checked the cost of a stroker crank is about $650-700

What can you get in the way of top end upgrades for $650-700 that is going to net you more gain than an extra 50 cubes would do?

I have built several strokers. I know what it costs and I know what power they can make. You can build a 340/360 for less that will walk on the stroker. Most cheap out on the heads and that is where the smaller cube good flowing headed 340/360 will kick the non breathing strokers ***, period!

We can agree to disagree. Pick your parts & pay your $.

Who's Louis?

I myself would build a 408. Get to the heads later.

Post above yours ,Rob. Always ,different ways to solve the problem.

Just saying what I'd do. He wants to walk away from a warmed up 360, then that's what he'll do. He's looking for a hot street car power plant. The 408 will do it once he has the heads for it.

If I had a lack of money and it was ethier a 408 w/stock heads or a 360 with ported heads, is do the 360 with ported heads and a hot cam. Cheaper to do.

tq is the way to go hp is a number

I don't mean to keep on harbouring on this and you can say its just semantics but its false logic to happens to be right 2/3 of the time. Horsepower is the most important number then rpm then torque, even though torque and rpm are two side of the same coin and are equally important. I give rpm a slight nod cause with peak HP @ rpm numbers you still can setup your car. Not to say torque is a meaningless number but how many times do you hear how much torque do I need to get into the 12's, Never.

torque gets the car moving , horsepower keeps it moving.

Horsepower is torque,past the 5250 mark.5250 is the number accepted for torque to horsepower. Simple physics.

how about a 3.75 stroke crank....isn't that the combo that New Jersey fellow
won the pinks all out with...385 c.i.?
lot's of torque and hp

Ya know, I was just thinking about that car the other day. It was a Blue Duster with a dual quad tunnel ram W5 engine and a 5spd. Trans. A Jerico I think.
CID I don't remember. IF you search, the details are here at FABO. He himself is not a member but one of his buddies used to post here.

What year was that?

Hp goal is what dictates cfm needed. Saying this cid or that cid needs x amount of cfm is only relative to an already targeted power goal. Cross section for rpm capability yes, however upping the cfm can give the similar results but the two are a lil different.

Gears. You want stroker torque? Put steep *** gears in the back with 'decent' heads and a cam that will use them.

Heads dictate hp, gears will make the torque with or without them though.

To my understanding tonys 360 is only as good as the suspension and slicks behind it.

But then the op would roll his car trying to make a turn over 30mph with a drag suspension, so what about the lengendary 360 again? LOL

'Everything in its right place.'

Op, are you drag racing ? Your post said no, street car, so I'd assume you want it to handle good?
Something people should consider is how much power is good and too much is bad if you have no tires to plant it.

It's a street car. I wanna run 14's and handle good. Discs all around, 8.8 rear with 3.73 LS diff, in process of installing 42rh O.D. trans. I want to be able to drive this thing on the interstate. 17" bullitt rims, gonna try some 26" tires in the back. The motor is dressed as a commando- the car is a commando car.

Here's the cuda.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 20130508_161846.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 259
It's a street car. I wanna run 14's and handle good. Discs all around, 8.8 rear with 3.73 LS diff, in process of installing 42rh O.D. trans. I want to be able to drive this thing on the interstate. 17" bullitt rims, gonna try some 26" tires in the back. The motor is dressed as a commando- the car is a commando car.

A warmed 340 or 360 will run in the 13's easy and with that lil gear, and less traction issues ;)

You won't need much of a stroker if the goal is just street cruising and low 13's.

65cuda360 that is one seriously sexy looking Barracuda! Nice job indeed.

I can vouch for a stock stroked 360. My 360 (1973) has the stock crank and rods with KB107 pistons a Hughes engines cam, OTB Edlebrock heads, edlebrock airgap dual plane intake and a 770cfm street avenger carb. 727 trans with an unknown torque converter as I got it used. With a 3:55 geared rear-end. I'm running 255/60-15 BF Goodrich T/A rear tire. All this is in a 70 Dart and the best so far that I have run so far is a 13.15 at 105mph.

-
Back