BIG blocks and 8 3/4 dont go, lol

-

tensec340

The LEGEND
Reaction score
Was at a www.abodyjoe.com member track rental monday and was making my best pass ever when.......
trackandgeaRS004.jpg

trackandgeaRS006.jpg

Strange does, and others might. That must have hurt. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Alan627b

Now would be a perfect time for a DANA 60 upgrade!!

Looks like you are really hooking up with all the air under the front end.

Sorry your going to be down for awhile... that bites.

I guess you've found the weakest link in your setup.

The weird thing is it broke 100' before the finish line! Was making a killer pass too !
Even a billet capped 8 3/4 will not stand up to that much power,plus if I am going to spend over $800 to put caps and gears into my unit and then always worry about it I might as well just add another $1000 a dont ever worry about the rear again.... DANA !!

Now would be a perfect time for a DANA 60 upgrade!!

Looks like you are really hooking up with all the air under the front end.

Sorry your going to be down for awhile... that bites.

Dana yes !!
not bad for s.s springs and STREET tires,huh !
2 weeks top's ,I can't go any longer with out my cruising fix ...8)

I've got billet caps in mine. No problems. The caps are the weak link on the 8.75.

First question is how much power and torque was being use on the car.2)if you are using over 500hp and torque,and think you can run stock caps at a drag strip,its your own damm fault.3)After market caps are CHEAP insurrance to failures like this.4)Who set up the gears? There is nothing wrong with having a 8.75 diff behind a BIG BLOCK or hemi and making it last,did it for years and never a problem.This is more of a set problem than a cap failure,mrmopartech

my dart has a .30 over 440.eagle rods, ross dome 14.5.1 forged pistons,floating pins, ultradyne .284 dur. and .691 lift roller cam and comp roller lifters. m1 intake ported heads they flowed .296.we are figuring around 720hp or so.maybe alittle more. have a friend in a 3600lbs cuda with driver that just ran a 10.22 at monster mopar weekend with wheels up then spinning. thinks he can squeaze a 10 flat. i am weighing about 3000 lbs with driver. i am running foot brake w/4800 stall and 4.30 spooled with 8.75 and a rear axle housing brace. will this work mr.mopartech?

After you fix the caps the ring teethe become the next week link. theres no fix for that.

mr.mopartech, WELL OVER 800hp and the only thing on that car I didn't touch was the rear,was told it had caps,guess not lol

nice video Abodyjoe ! wish mine went like that !!! LOL

Tim

10sec340,

Mark Williams makes the billet steel caps, and billet adjusters. I've seen the oem adjusters blow out, also. Like Adam said, the next weak link is the small diameter ring gear. And not to mention the flimsy 8.75" housing (ring gear deflection).

I've built both 8 3/4" rears and danas for drag cars with big blocks and trans-brakes. You can be on the fence real easy. Losta power like you make, and the heavier cars are brutal on the 8 3/4" rear.

FWIW, my red b'cuda went 10.00 @ 130 with an 8.75" rear. It weighed 3025, with 500cid, and a brake. I used the MP aluminum 3rd member, and backbraced the housing.

Now, I deal with this all the time with my customer's when they break their 8.75. By the time it's all said and done I could of bought a complete dana 60 with disc brakes and had money left over vs. modifing the 8.75". More times than not, we upgrade them to the dana!

Good luck getting it fixed, and goodluck with your racing!

My only question is if you are going to chrome that bad boy and hang it over the fireplace....

Rev.

After you fix the caps the ring teethe become the next week link. theres no fix for that.
yes there is;better gears. the company that makes gears uses the same steel for all gears so if the grears break they break in any rear. The trick to a 8 3/4 is good parts and setup. the picture of the broken rear looks to me he has a spring pos in it.How long did it last befor it broke, what case was he using and most of all was it setup right.the video I seen if the 8 3/4 had the correct on it could handle all that car could give it.There aer three differant 8 3/4 rears don,t condemn 8 3/4s when you are using the wrong one or the wrong parts.

Wow...i love my 8 3/4's but i think its time for you to step up to a dana...

Welcome aboard dartcuda1. What would be the 8-3/4 to use and what upgrade parts along with it? Minus the aluminum center section.

-
Back