Block out of square

-
Put my dial indicator on the crank face, and I dial indicated the back face of the block that the bell bolts to. Its out of square with the line of the crank. I zero the dial with the indicator tip at the edge of the flange that the bell bolts to, level with the crank. As I turn the crank and the dial works its way up to 12 o'clock at the top of the flange, I get a perfect, linear increase in error. The top of the block is 40 thousandths shy of being square. (i.e. the face of flange is displaced towards the front end of the engine) As I come back down the block on the other side, perfect linear recovery to zero.

If what you say here is actually true, the answer is "easy." You are gonna have to machine the bell mounting surface of the block square, PERIOD. One thing you might do is dial indicate off the FRONT of the crank and see how square the crank is to the timing cover / other machined block surfaces. Maybe the line bore "wasn't so accurate????"

The only possible problem in doing that is that the dowel pins will be out of square so I wonder how well they bell housing will line up bolt on.

The dowels are going to be on the same plane as they are now......I don't think they will be the deal breaker.
I think I would have the block trued up. Band aids work to get you home , but for the long haul , doing it right just makes sense.

The only possible problem in doing that is that the dowel pins will be out of square so I wonder how well they bell housing will line up bolt on.
Probably not any big problem... the OP is talking about a change of less than 0.4 degrees in angle. The dowels can move that much and are tapered at the outer edge anyway.

There are numerous problems with this situation:

DSC07952.JPG

As you can see from the pic I drew, if you mount the trans the way things are right now it will cause the trans center line to be misaligned with the engine center line. This is only true "if" the back of the block is actually "not square" with the crank. The other problem is that if the threaded holes in the back of the block are "square" to the surface (which they should be) they will also be out of square when you thread in the trans mounting bolts (after you machine the block back face square). If the bolt holes are square to the engine block surface and you machine the surface square to the crank center line the threaded holes will no longer be square to the surface. It's really a complicated problem until you find out where the actual problem lies. If the bolt holes are currently square to the block face and you machine the block square, then mount the trans, the underside of the bolt heads (the ones that go against the back side of the trans flange) will be cocked because the trans flange surfaces are parallel but the engine bolt holes are square to a different surface (the old original out of square surface). No simple solution until you find out where the real problem actually is????
Sorry about the poor drawing.....Treblig

If the people that built this motor for you will not take it back and fix it. If not then I would tear it apart and either use a new block or I would see if a align bore or align hone would fix it.
Sounds to me like they did a poor job of line boring it. Jmho

You should pull the #1 main cap and if the crank centerline is off the mating ends of the bearings wouldn’t match the mating ends of the cap. If they don’t show this to your engine builder and ask him to explain how it could be off.

Thanks to the community for all the excellent responses and suggestions. I'll reply potluck style here.

Too bad you don't know the history of the block. If it's .040 off I would imagine there was an issue with whever was bolted to it last.
Yeah, thought the same. Maybe they had it paired up with an automatic transmission and relied on the torque converter to take up the angular slop? Or they shipped it and made a car that perpetually trashed tranny input bearings? Dunno.

I'm not sure how any of this is your problem. Send it back to the builder. Get another one. No matter if they did it, or didn't catch it, it's not the consumer's issue.
Yup. I think that's my go-to, if I can get them to answer the phone. They insisted it was the bell built wrong, said there was nothing wrong with their stuff. That was before I had dialed the back flange, I thought of that a month or two after the last time I'd talked to them. Big question is whether they'll actually stand behind their stuff. Worst case, I've got a local place, I'll take it there and have them disassemble, start from a brand new block, reassemble. PITA... but, hey, rebuilding a car, I signed up for it. :)

Well being a crate motor I am sure it was line-bored, not having the boring bar perfectly horizonal with the block but instead hone with an slight angle would cause this problem. Removing the main bearing caps and using a micrometer and horseshoe style fixture, take your readings off the top of crank journals, this can tell you for sure. The picture is for reference only...…...
That's a thought, easier to get to that to check than having to tear the entire engine apart.

Maybe I missed this OP.... did you put the dial indicator on the back of the block and check the crank flange for runout? Or re-position the dial indicator 90* on the crank flange and run the test again, as verification that it is not the crank flange that is off of the crank axis? It is just not 100% clear that this has been done.
Yup. I've dialed that back flange about 10 times, re-positioned the dial indicator mag mount on the crank flange each time at a variety of different angles. Each time, it reads out exactly the same. I also have mounted the mag base to the block and dialed the flange as the crank rotates. No runout at all there. So it's not a bent crank or a flange with wobble in it.

On the block line that I worked on, they had cast datums inside the outer cup plugs that our details would use to find the center of the casting, then we would machine datum holes on the oil pan surface... After that the machined datum holes were used for locating the block for all other details... Machining is more accurate than castings as there is more variation in castings that machining..

The first thing that we checked when something was off was the cast datums to the machine datum holes to make sure that they were correct... You should figure out where the machine datum holes are and measure from them to find if/where the problem is...
Interesting. Where do I find those? What do they look like?

If your bell housing indeed does not contact the block except at the holes, then I can't see any reason to not use hardened shims/washers. You might want something to seal it up to keep dirt out.

Wondered about that. There's a lot of open space around the edges of the flange, which seems counterintuitive from a cleanliness perspective... But at the same time, there's a 4x4" hole where the clutch throwout arm goes through, so... It's not like it's airtight to begin with. And the clutch is going to produce particulate as it rubs, so it needs a way to vent that out, right? Does having it sealed... even matter?

Is this a non-stock bell housing? Sounds like it if you talked to the bell mfr.
Yeah. It's made by quick time, and it adapts the Mopar small block to a nonstock TKO tranny.

I understand the concern on the pistons being at different heights. No way to know without somehow verifying. If the crate mfr did not catch the initial problem in the crank line, then I sure would not count on them to make sure things were decked in a way to make it even. You mention a dyno test? WHOSE dyno? The crate mfr? If so, how good is that?
Yeah. Crate engine did the dyno test, we did not observe that test. But at the same time-- when they drop the block into the dyno itself, its not like they're mounting it using the bell flange. So, unless they're entirely disreputable... I don't yet have any particular reason to suspect that they'd have deliberately faked the dyno results.

At this point, I'd check couple of combustion volumes. Maybe turn the engine on the stand so that the plug holes are straight up on one side set the front cylinder precisely at TDC on overlap, and use a burrette with an appropriate oil to measure the combustion volume. The check at the back cylinder on the same in the same fashion. If the crank was inclined as much as you think, you are going to see a lot of CC's difference, like 5 to 10 cc's depending the head chambers, piston tops, etc.
I like that idea. But If the crank is out of line.. Then... They'd have had to have re-decked the block to be square to the new line of the crank?

If what you say here is actually true, the answer is "easy." You are gonna have to machine the bell mounting surface of the block square, PERIOD. One thing you might do is dial indicate off the FRONT of the crank and see how square the crank is to the timing cover / other machined block surfaces. Maybe the line bore "wasn't so accurate????"
That's an outstanding suggestion. I like that. But... How? I can dial the bell flange, because it's almost circular. However, The timing cover flange is oblong. How would I go about dialing it? If I mount and zero the dial, and then turn the crank, along the way, the dial tip would just sweep right off the flange into open space.

There are numerous problems with this situation: As you can see from the pic I drew, if you mount the trans the way things are right now it will cause the trans center line to be misaligned with the engine center line. This is only true "if" the back of the block is actually "not square" with the crank.
Yeah, that's how I'm thinking it is.

The other problem is that if the threaded holes in the back of the block are "square" to the surface (which they should be) they will also be out of square when you thread in the trans mounting bolts (after you machine the block back face square). If the bolt holes are square to the engine block surface and you machine the surface square to the crank center line the threaded holes will no longer be square to the surface. It's really a complicated problem until you find out where the actual problem lies. If the bolt holes are currently square to the block face and you machine the block square, then mount the trans, the underside of the bolt heads (the ones that go against the back side of the trans flange) will be cocked because the trans flange surfaces are parallel but the engine bolt holes are square to a different surface (the old original out of square surface).
Okay, but... How big of a deal is that, really? I mean, if I have a taper in the back of the block that's 40 thou over roughly a foot, then over the .56" width of the head, I'm looking at 1.6 thou of variation from one side of the bolt to the other? Seems like I can just ignore that amount of error. I mean, do I trust my washer underneath the head of the bolt to be flat to less than 2 thou? Do I trust the cast bottom surface of the head of the bolt to be flat to less than 2 thou of tolerance? Do I trust the paint on the bell on both sides of the hole to be consistent to less than 2 thou of tolerance? Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but it seems like maybe that particular problem is ingnorable?

It sucks - that's for sure. And the time lapsing doesn't help. The parts could go into another block. Maybe you can work with them to get a refund to go towards another block's prep work. That's probably best for the two parties, to be honest. Machining something to make it work simply adds more complication down stream that need not be.

Interesting. Where do I find those? What do they look like?

It depends on the block... The cast datums will be called out on the blueprint drawing for the block and also referenced on the block machining blueprint... Those drawings are not usually shared with people outside the process...

On our v-6 block our cast datums for the machining were inside the outer cup plugs on the end cup plugs on each side... They were flat pads about 3/8" to 1/2" diameter where we had "fingers" on the machine line that came in and rested on each pad to set the location and find the center... That's what we used to set the location of the manufacturing hole which was our datum for all further machining after that...

All operations after that used a pin that fit in the manufacturing hole (tight fit) to locate the block for further machining... Bores, crank center line, etc....

Maybe if you ask the place that did the block work, they may help you....

It depends on the block... The cast datums will be called out on the blueprint drawing for the block and also referenced on the block machining blueprint... Those drawings are not usually shared with people outside the process...

On our v-6 block our cast datums for the machining were inside the outer cup plugs on the end cup plugs on each side... They were flat pads about 3/8" to 1/2" diameter where we had "fingers" on the machine line that came in and rested on each pad to set the location and find the center... That's what we used to set the location of the manufacturing hole which was our datum for all further machining after that...

All operations after that used a pin that fit in the manufacturing hole (tight fit) to locate the block for further machining... Bores, crank center line, etc....

Maybe if you ask the place that did the block work, they may help you....

The machine datum hole was located on the bottom of the block on the oil pan rail/surface...

Some of yall are makin this WAY more complex than "it is". Check the crank bore against the cam bore. If it's good, machine the bellhousing flat. If the crank bore isn't parallel with the cam bore, line bore it so it is. Then check the bellhousing. If it's out, plane it flat. Problem solved.

Since none of the "modern" line bore machines set up off the bellhousing pattern, it's a moot point as far as a machining reference.

The machine datum hole was located on the bottom of the block on the oil pan rail/surface...

From looking at a block, here's my best guess on the machine datums to locate the manufacturing hole from... This on one side, there should me a similar set on the opposite side which I didn't have complete access to this block to rotate to take pics of those, but you can figure them out by looking at a block:

Here's my best guess for the locating pads on one side of the block, there's a set on the other side:

DSC09514 B2.jpg

Front locating pad:

DSC09517 B2.jpg

Rear locating pad:

DSC09516 B2.jpg

Yup. I've dialed that back flange about 10 times, re-positioned the dial indicator mag mount on the crank flange each time at a variety of different angles. Each time, it reads out exactly the same. I also have mounted the mag base to the block and dialed the flange as the crank rotates. No runout at all there. So it's not a bent crank or a flange with wobble in it.
Very good that you checked all that. Makes it a lot clearer; tnx.

Wondered about that. There's a lot of open space around the edges of the flange, which seems counterintuitive from a cleanliness perspective... But at the same time, there's a 4x4" hole where the clutch throwout arm goes through, so... It's not like it's airtight to begin with. And the clutch is going to produce particulate as it rubs, so it needs a way to vent that out, right? Does having it sealed... even matter?
Depends on what you are doing... just a sunny day drag car? Not really. Driving in all weather? You'd like to keep the dust, dirt crud, and grease out. The standard bell are not airtight, but are reasonably well closed for all-weather use.

Yeah. Crate engine did the dyno test, we did not observe that test. But at the same time-- when they drop the block into the dyno itself, its not like they're mounting it using the bell flange. So, unless they're entirely disreputable... I don't yet have any particular reason to suspect that they'd have deliberately faked the dyno results.
Just wanted to know.... basically, I am not saying they faked anything. but you have no idea who did the dyno operation, and how well attuned they are to uneven running engines. The operator could have just run it through while day-dreaming about some hot chick.... So you just can't conclude it is either 10% or 100% OK inside the engine from the existence of the dyno sheet.

I like that idea. But If the crank is out of line.. Then... They'd have had to have re-decked the block to be square to the new line of the crank?
The guy that angled the decks on my block located the front-to-back alignment of the decking operation on the main web surfaces in the block, so the decks front-to-rear would follow any crank misalignment. So it is surely possible. And with the CNC setups that are out there, once one thing is off everything else would follow with limited intervention to catch issues. You want to know for sure right? And not just run it if there is any issue? Another thing to do is to do a cranking compression test as you suggested yourself.... you will surely have a change in back-to-front compression if the crank is out of square with the decks.

Okay, but... How big of a deal is that, really? I mean, if I have a taper in the back of the block that's 40 thou over roughly a foot, then over the .56" width of the head, I'm looking at 1.6 thou of variation from one side of the bolt to the other? Seems like I can just ignore that amount of error. I mean, do I trust my washer underneath the head of the bolt to be flat to less than 2 thou? Do I trust the cast bottom surface of the head of the bolt to be flat to less than 2 thou of tolerance? Do I trust the paint on the bell on both sides of the hole to be consistent to less than 2 thou of tolerance? Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but it seems like maybe that particular problem is ingnorable?
IMHO, the holes will only be off angle as much as the block's rear face, which is around 0.4 degrees; the contact gap on one side of the bolt head will only be around few thousandths of an " as you think. The bolts will **** a bit in the hole threading, and maybe bend a tad if need be and even brinnell the bell flange a bit. I personally would not fret over that.

"Okay, but... How big of a deal is that, really? I mean, if I have a taper in the back of the block that's 40 thou over roughly a foot, then over the .56" width of the head, I'm looking at 1.6 thou of variation from one side of the bolt to the other? Seems like I can just ignore that amount of error. I mean, do I trust my washer underneath the head of the bolt to be flat to less than 2 thou? Do I trust the cast bottom surface of the head of the bolt to be flat to less than 2 thou of tolerance? Do I trust the paint on the bell on both sides of the hole to be consistent to less than 2 thou of tolerance? Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but it seems like maybe that particular problem is ingnorable?"

"How big of a deal is that?" Not a big deal at all if none of the bolt heads break off over time/stress. You could give it a shot and hope for the best. The only real suggestion I have is to remove the crank (leave the pistons in the bores), set the engine block upright on it's back face on a dead flat surface. Then use a good long machinist square to lay against the flat surface to see if the engine main bores are square to the back face of the block. If they are not you won't have much choice but to confront the people who bored the mains. Otherwise, "run what you brung"!!
Just remember that the trans input shaft is a snug fit into the crank pilot bushing. So once you stab the input shaft you're going to tighten the trans flange bolts which will raise the tail end of the trans about .050-.060" (if you don't have the back of the block square to the crank) and put undue stress on the end of the input shaft which will transfer into the input shaft bearing, etc, etc.... that would definitely not be a good thing???
The mind of a machinist is relentless!!! treblig

Last edited:
So, further background on all of this. I inherited this engine when my dad passed two years ago. He'd specced it out and gone out to talk to the builders and such. It came out of Muscle Motors in Lansing, MI, which appears/appeared to have a good reputation here and on the For B Bodies Only forums as well. They align honed it, and they were the ones that did the dyno on it, before it went out the door. It seems likely that they would only dyno themselves or with a shop that actually knows their stuff.

That said, I had talked to them about all this in the spring of 2017, and they barely, if at all, answered their phone or responded to emails. They were spending most of their time caring for their parents too. In the meantime, there are rumors that they've closed up shop completely. So.

Last edited:
Just remember that the trans input shaft is a snug fit into the crank pilot bushing. So once you stab the input shaft you're going to tighten the trans flange bolts which will raise the tail end of the trans about .050-.060" (if you don't have the back of the block square to the crank) and put undue stress on the end of the input shaft which will transfer into the input shaft bearing, etc, etc.... that would definitely not be a good thing???

No, agreed -- I do care a lot about getting the tranny so that it's in angular alignment with the crank. So that would mean either machining the taper out of the block, or machining a matching taper into the bell, or shimming the taper out, such that the angular misalignment is resolved. Any of the three of those solutions is, yes, going to mean that the bolt holes in the back of the block which the bell mounts to, are now no longer perpendicular by, as you said, 0.4 deg. The "does it matter" question was centered around the fact that it seems much more important to worry about resolving the the input shaft alignment than that the bolts remain 100 percent perpendicular.

My personal opinion is.......
The rear of the block has been out of square with the main line since it left the factory.
I can’t see any rebuilder type shop machining any part of that block enough for it to be that far off.

If you can’t get any restitution from the builder, I’d find another block, have it checked over and properly machined..... and swap all the parts into it.

But whose to say millions of blocks weren't that far off right from the factory and have never been corrected, have been in service and never given a minutes trouble?

That should be the name of this thread. "IF" because nobody knows what the reality really is.

I have no doubt that block went 100K plus with no issues.
That’s not to say with it as f’ed up as it is, that it’s going to provide trouble free service in the next application.

It never got checked for that, for use as a suitable core because it’s one of those things that’s not usually a problem.
Every once in a while you get burned by something like that.

I’ve never been caught by that particular issue, but have found things machined way wrong from the factory that I wished I’d have caught sooner than I did.

Yeah, it's like.....how many Mopar block decks were high and crooked through the years and were driven and raced YEARS and no one ever knew it?

A LOT, that's how many. lol

In all the years I've been in and around machine shops, I can say that that is one surface that was NEVER checked on any build.

You'd have to REALLY try and screw up a line bore or hone to get that result. Just a guess here... your line hone set up would have to be in the .090-.100 off to obtain that result. No way would the bores be close to completely uniform in finish if the bar was that far off.

Last edited:
man you're talking about a pubic hair over 1/32" . bolt that **** together and run it.
my guess is that it has been that way its whole life already.

Last edited:
-
Back