Budget racing the old nuts & bolts

-
I'd like to have a video of the transmission in action, thats the real unsung hero here.

Well now that I don't have to use race gas and all that stuff I'm going to go ahead and put my feather duster trunk lid on that I got at a swap meet last year. I went ahead and put the one that I skinned on trunk on Craigslist. Since I can put gas in it at the gas station I'd rather not have to unscrew all four corners and lift it off every time.
20170606_114636.jpg

Drove the duster to the track and took two ugly passes. My phone died on the way there so no pics or vids. Honestly I had no idea it would spin like that? First pass was just spin city. The second pass wasn't much better. For a very first real shake down drive I'm extremely pleased. 16 mile half hour drive each way and the $50 Craigslist extreme budget build and first time automatic transmission rebuild ran flawlessly! Not leaking a drop of anything.
The wild cards - so many. That carb! I robbed it of pins and parts for years. I gave a friend $10 for it who had it given to him with a bunch of junk parts to take to the swapmeet. Friends giving me extra parts. Crazy...
20170607_204221.jpg
it happened

Drove the duster to the track and took two ugly passes. My phone died on the way there so no pics or vids. Honestly I had no idea it would spin like that? First pass was just spin city. The second pass wasn't much better. For a very first real shake down drive I'm extremely pleased. 16 mile half hour drive each way and the $50 Craigslist extreme budget build and first time automatic transmission rebuild ran flawlessly! Not leaking a drop of anything.
The wild cards - so many. That carb! I robbed it of pins and parts for years. I gave a friend $10 for it who had it given to him with a bunch of junk parts to take to the swapmeet. Friends giving me extra parts. Crazy...
View attachment 1715055012 it happened
As you pointed out, a lot to be gained in those 60 ft. Glad you made it out! A pair of DOT drag radials will end that spinning.... :)

I have regular slicks.

Are you going to drive to the track with slicks on? I used to do it but I lived very close to the track.

If it's dry, go down there Friday night a make 20 runs. It's got muffler so you can run after 10 right?

I have regular slicks.
what if she wants to get bread at the store? Slicks ain't no fun, get DOT tires. Your street tires must be really bad. Should be able to get 2.1 60 ft times with a sure grip on normal street tires.

what if she wants to get bread at the store? Slicks ain't no fun, get DOT tires. Your street tires must be really bad. Should be able to get 2.1 60 ft times with a sure grip on normal street tires.

He can always get an M&H cheater like I use. I have almost 10k on them. I drive it in the rain if I have to, but it can be sketchy. They do have 2 grooves.

He can always get an M&H cheater like I use. I have almost 10k on them. I drive it in the rain if I have to, but it can be sketchy. They do have 2 grooves.
I ran BF Goodrich Comp T/A drag radials for about 7 years, and they were decent when they were sold with a truck I had.
I cut 1.8 60 ft times with them. Drive it an hour to the strip on them, nice and smooth.

I ran BF Goodrich Comp T/A drag radials for about 7 years, and they were decent when they were sold with a truck I had.
I cut 1.8 60 ft times with them. Drive it an hour to the strip on them, nice and smooth.

Do they still make those? I thought they went the way of the dodo?

I would not run my slicks on the street. I would bring them with me and a jack. If you get a hole-in-one slick they're both ruined. I personally like to go on Saturday night instead of Friday night just because there's less traffic and there's more time to casually get ready. One time I was given my time slip and told I was too loud but it was my last past of the night and haven't been told any other time. the car just has old glass packs and has a couple of feet of pipe behind it all and a couple feet of pipe in between them. I could have made a lot more passes last night but I was just spinning the tires, so it was the point? It started to want to rain and I was out of there. That's one hell of a Shakedown run for what I have here.

Are you going to drive to the track with slicks on?
If it's dry, go down there Friday night a make 20 runs. It's got muffler so you can run after 10 right?

14.4 - 14.7 at 92mph every time with us'ens
Great Start! Glad to see it making passes!
Give it a little more timing.... like 40* total.
Ya can't let my 2.76 geared, no-header, 318 headed, factory-stock-318-short block, factory converter, full weight car run about 3 mph faster, can ya? :poke:

So my dad text me this morning the normal Happy Father's Day stuff and I reciprocate and we get that out of the way and then I send them the link to that video of course I have to send it to my step mom's phone because his is crap. Anyways his response was "who won?"
My first text to him do you mean against that $40,000 plus Mustang?
Second text with that $50 Craigslist motor that I completely disassembled lap the valves put an old Parts carburetor on and completely reassembled using nothing but used parts laying on the shelves of my shed and garage and stuff people donated to the cause?
Third text and that transmission that had been laying under the eve outside on the back patio for years and I completely disassembled it down to every last nut bolt spring pin and seal and reassembled to work perfect?
Fourth text we treed that Mustang, we out 60 footed that Mustang, we beat that Mustang in the 8th mile, and yes at the very end at a whopping 105 miles an hour to our mirror 92 miles per hour he came flying by too get to the finish line three tenths of a second quicker.
text 5 all done with my wife as a passenger taking a video. I would say he crossed the Finish Line first but we won.
20170618_072908.jpg

I got Swiss cheese for memory..........what is the gear set in the back and what are the tires?

Getting better................ reaction time is coming down and you've taken 3/4 of a second off your 60 ft..........I think you could be a contender...........

I got Swiss cheese for memory..........what is the gear set in the back and what are the tires?

Getting better................ reaction time is coming down and you've taken 3/4 of a second off your 60 ft..........I think you could be a contender...........
410 - 28

Your tranny shifted great! Congrats on that. And, you and your wife are having a blast. I kind of, at this point, throw out where the parts came from or how you come by 'em. I say it's a 318, 4bbl, mild cam and headers, with cut 360 heads. With some tuning, you should be able to pull around 20 mph the last 1/8. Like I said, I'd throw more timing at it, and go richer on the carb. Without spending hardly a 20 dollar bill, I bet you drop the E.T. a lot and see the mph go up!

The 3d best thing i found of that video was mustang showing up in the video after the run, the 2nt best thing about that video was the sounds of the run.................#1... The cute little giggle from your wife, and the short laugh from you.:D
That proved to me, that it was done together, and the end reward was mutual! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
The bad new......I think your tunnel ram is going to need a new home:poke::p
congrats to the both of you!!!!

-
Back