Budget racing the old nuts & bolts

-
I got it from a nice old man (farmer I think) on flee bay. If my grandson sells that shifter I'll turn in my grave!
Start a thread called "I want j par's shifter" ?
Truly I'm flattered but let's move forward.....

I'll trade you my Super Shifter III.

You're not using yours.

Seems like the FABO thing to do doesn't it?

I got it from a nice old man (farmer I think) on flee bay. If my grandson sells that shifter I'll turn in my grave!
Start a thread called "I want j par's shifter" ?
Truly I'm flattered but let's move forward.....

Ok, then post a video so we can hear it.

It was making some lifter/rocker noise at first and we pulled the valve covers and turn it over and it seemed okay so we noticed it was starting to quiet down and started it a third time with the covers back on and try to get it tuned in a little bit. It started surprisingly quick I filled the carburetor with some gas which was yet another wild card. So I got a little time to tune it in a bit and figured that the sending unit on the new manifold was not the same as the one on the old manifold so that was showing pretty hot when it wasn't on my heat gun. But eventually it did start wanting to overheat but I could tell when I give it gas the bottom hose was sucking itself closed so that's the obvious place I'm going to start first. The transmission worked flawlessly I almost broke my arm off pating myself on the back and how well that turned out let alone all the people that I thought about right away who helped me right here on the forum, big thank you!
no leaks! Well except the damn oil drain plug witch I'll fix on the first oil change.
took friend for first test drive and seemed good. Let cool off and then give wife ride and opened it up a little - we were pleased. Much more quiet. But absolutely NOT quite. Easy, way to easy- it's it shifts so well I can't even believe it. I got to say the trans I rebuilt has made me the happiest.

I wasn't in the video taking mood today. I just took one picture of my wife starting the car today and that's just something personal I want to save for myself. I'll take some more pictures and perhaps a video tomorrow but I just wanted to get things started and under control here first. It did idle really well and had a nice little "gallop" to it.
It "got it on" very impressively coming from the standpoint of having the stroker/4-speed less than a month ago in the same car.

If all goes well this week I'd like to get down to PIR this next weekend for a pass. I still have a crap load of small projects to do, but first I have to cool this thing down. I blasted a LOT of crud out of the water jackets when I had it apart and the freeze plugs out. The three and a half gallons of distilled water looks like chocolate milk already! But that bottom radiator hose collapsing is first on my list.

Glad your tranny deal worked out.
Does your lower hose have a round wire in it? If so, it's pretty hard to suck one shut with that in there.

How long before the wife makes a pass in it? You have Friday night for you to sort it out, Saturday night to let her test and Wednesday night to get her into the points race. It's early enough she could make the team race.

Absolutely NO rushing her. That would be my first mistake.
Researching the hose wire and/or one with it. Back flushing motor and radiator.

Glad your tranny deal worked out.
Does your lower hose have a round wire in it? If so, it's pretty hard to suck one shut with that in there.

How long before the wife makes a pass in it? You have Friday night for you to sort it out, Saturday night to let her test and Wednesday night to get her into the points race. It's early enough she could make the team race.

Absolutely NO rushing her. That would be my first mistake.
Researching the hose wire and/or one with it. Back flushing motor and radiator.

I can name many names, some of which you probably know who gave up the seat to the wife. And never got it back. Off the top of my head, one guy had to build another car. Both Camaros. Called his "Panty Raider". Called hers "Pants Raider". They are some fun people.

It never happened without video as one girl told me

Come on it never happened? ME!!!
So my buddy insisted I come over to his house just a couple blocks away to dump the radiator and try the new hose. I just got one of the flexible hoses which I really didn't want because I think those are gross but this one was extremely hard I mean there was no way it would suck closed. we did a little bit more tuning with the vacuum gauge. I pulled one of the port plugs on the back of the intake manifold and put in a port to use for vacuum. We were able to get a hole 13 pounds of vacuum. I set the timing all in at about 35 which put the mechanical back to about eighteen or so 16 Maybe which was fine for this cam. no vacuum advance. We got it on a little bit again today at about a rolling 10 miles an hour or so at idle and punched it in first then it completely lit up the tires until I hit second and then continued until I let off.

NICE !!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Cam sounds a little more healthy than figured......
When you get to the strip, you may find it wants a few more degrees of timing.
Did you add Zinc??? :poke:

One of the three leftover kinds of oil I found to make up the 4 1/2 quarts of oil I have in there is a quart of penn grade 15-40 from the other motor. Zinc?

NICE !!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Cam sounds a little more healthy than figured......
When you get to the strip, you may find it wants a few more degrees of timing.
Did you add Zinc??? :poke:

Well there is a good story behind this motor. As everyone might know or at least it's been told that the gentleman I got the motor from for $50 on Craigslist has help me in other ways with other things too that he wasn't needing any more. And I can kind of get the situation where he's had the motor for a long time it's done him real well and now he's getting the new Stroker motor with its pedigree and everything. And just kind of wants to get rid of all the old stuff and start fresh with new stuff for his 66 Barracuda. Kind of just get it all out of here and let me put new things on my baby. So The transmission cooler was an extra he had after getting a bigger one. He welcomed me to have it As he's enjoying watching the progression of his old motor getting a third life. So as I pick up the transmission cooler and chat with him he's telling me of a time when he was young and lived in Colorado didn't have much money as we all didn't When We Were Young. Believe me I remember a time when I had to take the bus or walk with my first job till I could afford to save up a little for a car and that's right where he was at. And finally saved up enough to start looking at cars on his walk home from work and looking at the back of the lot for the cheap ones. Came up on a 72 satellite for $500 with the Leaky radiator hose and they settled for $250. Bought some stop leak in a hose clamp (now I know where the trouble started lol) and fix it right there on the lot and drove it home till he can make a better repair. Then continue to drive the car across the country Nebraska and back and Idaho and back and back to Oregon and finally did end up in Oregon where the car drove for a long time until it finally became undriveable. He kept the motor and transmission for a 66 Barracuda that was over at his dad's house and had it rebuilt 12 to 14 years ago possibly and put 35,000 miles on it since and now here we are. I thought that was kind of interesting

-
Back