Building a wrecked SRT8 Challenger

-
Something totaled it. Have you seen a repair estimate?

Has to be more than airbag deployment. Bags + module + tensioners + assorted bits, maybe, what, $6,000 as a high guess.

My guess is that the bags were fired by an inertia sensor, not a crash sensor. That's why (for me at least), viewing the underside will be interesting. Cradle damage and suspension is simple. But cradle damage that hoses the mounting points or causes damage to drive train mounting can be hell.

Wonder if something caught that cradle and yarded that thing to a stop in a hurry. This is the fun part of being a collision repair technician. Investigating for hidden damage.

Wish I could be there to help, looks like fun.

Totaled? That doesn't look all that bad. Yet.

Pettybludart,I like the way you think.I wish I could come across one of these for all the parts i could use on our projects.

Totaled? That doesn't look all that bad. Yet.

Sometimes the insurance companies do weird things. We just had a Hummer H3 total for frame damage.

Got hit in the right rear and bent the rail about 30 degrees down, 12" from the end. It bent in an area that it was designed to bend for impact absorption.

We got an insurance quality, used rear bumper assembly for $350. Sectioning of that frame was not allowed so we found a good used frame for $1650.

A new frame straight from GM was $5800.

The vehicle had no other damage.

R/I rear bumper, 1.5 hours. R/I frame, 35 hours (book time).

Labor: $3750
Parts: $2000

Total: $5750 on a $19,000 rig.

If this were the "good old days", one could have pulled and reinforced the frame, installed the rear bumper and had the rig back on the road in about 4 hours.

So it's posable that that car isn't very bad and it only totaled because you had a lazy adjuster that didn't want to deal with it.

Hope for the best is all we can do until we get it up on the hoist for a look and start taking it apart. We know the cradle hit the cast aluminum pan so there is a unknown there. But the underside is clean so oil didn't drain out. When we change the pan we need to pull a bearing cap or two and check for damage there. That could have been enough reason for a total. Insurance companies don't like to mess with mechanicals.

Hope for the best is all we can do until we get it up on the hoist for a look and start taking it apart. We know the cradle hit the cast aluminum pan so there is a unknown there. But the underside is clean so oil didn't drain out. When we change the pan we need to pull a bearing cap or two and check for damage there. That could have been enough reason for a total. Insurance companies don't like to mess with mechanicals.

I suspect you hit the nail on the head when you said the cradle hit the cast aluminum oil pan being why the insurance company totaled it. I have seen that happen many times.

I think you will come out well on this rebuild. We have built well over a 100 late model cars before health issues shut it down a few years ago and we would have been all over this one.

I was in the middle of a kitchen faucet project today when Tony (Challenger Project partner) called. I got to the shop when they were pushing the Chally off the hoist and putting it to bed in the corner until parts come in. We already have a bumper cover, control arms, lower radiator support, radiator, and the ac condenser. (the ac still had a charge in it) The cradle is ordered. The wheels have been sent off to Keystone to be checked, repaired, and re finished. Toplscuda (from here at FABO) has a oil pan and pick-up. We need to get some random parts, 2 airbags, dash pad, module, and seat belt assemblies. We also need a couple tires and a headlight assm for the drivers side. We also need a grill surround. This is getting exciting. If all the parts come in we might have this thing running and driving in a week or so. I'm sure the big pumpkin will be done by Halloween! Tmm

Photo 6 and 7 shows the only damage to the cowl. It is low under the drivers floor but no seam sealer is cracked and no spot welds are cracked. I have the owners name. I need to call him and find out what happened. May be it got stolen?

Attachments

• 002a.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 598
  • 003a.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 571
  • 004a.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 567
  • 005a.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 569
  • 006a.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 007a.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 579
  • 008a.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 587
  • 009a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 598
  • 010a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 592
  • 011a.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 565
The tire was up against the pinch weld on the cowl..Brad spun the cradle mount bolts out but he said one will need a little straightening. I think the bolt was at a slight angle. We may put it on the frame machine for a little tug if the parts don't line up. We will do what ever is necessary to make this right. Anybody know if the exhaust is stock? Looks like headers to me but they are welded into the pipes under the car. Tony has done quite a few builders and he said this one is the easiest total hit he's seen.

I saw you found an oil pan but if it doesn't work out I have an oil pan and pickup as well.

It's from a 6.1L SRT8 Magnum.

Keep up the great rebuild.

Riddler

I saw you found an oil pan but if it doesn't work out I have an oil pan and pickup as well.

It's from a 6.1L SRT8 Magnum.

Keep up the great rebuild.

Riddler

Thanks Riddler. I;ll keep you in mind! tmm

Hope that thing didn't run long with the oil pan busted, not trying to be a downer, just something to think about.....

Hope that thing didn't run long with the oil pan busted, not trying to be a downer, just something to think about.....

Yep. We haven't pulled bearing caps but we did spin the engine over off the balancer bolt and it spun freely. That is a risk we have to deal with. Welcome to the world of rebuilders. We certainly hope there's no damage. The inside of the engine looked like new. There was no discoloration that could have been caused by it running dry and the oil still in the pan was fresh colored and didn't smell burned or overheated. Keep your fingers crossed for us. lol tmm

tmm, I have three extra grilles assemblies for these cars and some other front bumper pieces. I also have a front bumper cover, but you stated you already have one. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you? The fron't bumpers are a ***** to put back together on these things!LOL

What are you going to resell it for?

We won't know what to ask until we get it done and add up the tickets. They book for mid 30's and this one is pretty loaded. But we know that it won't sell for full price because it's a salvage title. tmm

I am pretty sure there is a low oil pressure shut off switch.

And depending on how the crash happened, with a stick, if the car stops, the engine usually does too. Hopefully the collision killed the engine when the car stopped moving.

-
Back