Cam Specs.....where will the power be?

-
Called Comp yesterday and while the guy was very helpful and spent a great deal of time with me, he didn't see to be very confident with what he told me.

This is going into a 9.5:1 408 stroker Magnum platform
Airgap Intake, Ported 2.02 RT heads

Cam specs are:
224/230 .536/.544 on a 114 LSA installed
Intake open -2 closed 46
Exhaust open 49 closed 1

I am afraid this may move my power too high but perhaps the 408 will make this cam feel smaller than reports in 360s show.

Anecdotal dyno numbers show power is 2200-6000 on 360s. I would like more Idle-5000.

Hoping someone with some knowledge will help solidfy comps claims.

Thanks!
Oh crap here we go. You good Sir have just opened a Pandora’s box!

Well, this is what I was able to gather from a few phone calls I made yesterday.

Hughes recommends upgrading springs and going with a 230/234 .565/.571 on a 108 LSA and to mil the heads .030

Howards suggested .507/.533 221/225 on a 112

Brian was out when I called IMM. Lunati never answered.

Seems like everyone has a little different opinion.

Of course they recommend something. You think they're there to give you free advice? This is why I like forums. While you might have to sift through some answers, it's FREE.

Let me pose a question. Knowing how many years experience you're pulling from here for FREE, do you honestly think a cam vendor's recommendations are gonna net you anymore power?

Last edited:
I keep coming back to this:
This is going in a 2nd gen ram 4x4 ext cab about 6000lbs
Stock converter 1800-2000rpm
3.92 gears
33"" tires
Intent is a well mannered streetable truck I can tow with and have good usable power without having to reach far into the rpm range. Ideally shooting for power for typical driving scenarios. Not going to see a track. Will retain factory multiport injection and will be dynotuned.

First off, what year exactly and I'm presuming Kegger intake?
And is that 6000 pounds combined weight towing? If it isn't, I take it's a 2500 or 3500? If you're using the kegger, have you modified it internally by cutting the runners and porting it? Gearing, tire size, and converter are favorable for a modified kegger. Also, what rocker ratio are you running?

I keep coming back to this:
This is going in a 2nd gen ram 4x4 ext cab about 6000lbs
Stock converter 1800-2000rpm
3.92 gears
33"" tires
Intent is a well mannered streetable truck I can tow with and have good usable power without having to reach far into the rpm range. Ideally shooting for power for typical driving scenarios. Not going to see a track. Will retain factory multiport injection and will be dynotuned.

First off, what year exactly and I'm presuming Kegger intake?
And is that 6000 pounds combined weight towing? If it isn't, I take it's a 2500 or 3500? If you're using the kegger, have you modified it internally by cutting the runners and porting it? Gearing, tire size, and converter are favorable for a modified kegger. Also, what rocker ratio are you running?

It’s an ext cab 2000 1500 4x4. Truly closer to low 5000s outfitted as it sits now. Running the Hughes edlebrock efi Air Gap. I have some 1.6 comp roller rockers also have some 1.7 Harland sharp but they are pedestal mount and non adjustable so don’t want to run theirs if I can avoid it.

Okay, ported R/T heads, too. I take it that you informed the comp tech about your 1.6:1 rocker ratio during your communication. The opening and closing events do indicate 114 LSA and the lift numbers show that it is a custom cam when compared to the XE274-HR grind. But looking at it compared to what I have experienced in a 4 inch stroke small block (Comp XE274H, 110LSA, 11.4:1, Intake Closes 60 degree ABDC) I would go for that cam. Just curious, who ported the heads and do you have any head flow information and how much lift are they set up to safely run?

Okay, ported R/T heads, too. I take it that you informed the comp tech about your 1.6:1 rocker ratio during your communication. The opening and closing events do indicate 114 LSA and the lift numbers show that it is a custom cam when compared to the XE274-HR grind. But looking at it compared to what I have experienced in a 4 inch stroke small block (Comp XE274H, 110LSA, 11.4:1, Intake Closes 60 degree ABDC) I would go for that cam. Just curious, who ported the heads and do you have any head flow information and how much lift are they set up to safely run?

Originally they were KRC street port heads but have been cleaned up with a nice bowl blend and some work on the short turn. To be honest I am not sure what they flow but I would guess 240ish on the intake and maybe 180 on the exhaust.

12many,
You hit the nail on the head about DV & his books. I would recommend to folks on this forum that they buy DVs latest SB Chev & BB Chev books, SA-57 & SA-311. When I bought mine, they were under $30 ea & if they are still that price, it would be the best $60 you could spend......& will save you $$$$$$ on cam purchases down the track.

While they are Chev books, much of the info applies to ALL brands of engines. Info on beehive valve springs, ign, carbs, induction, valve train, etc.

Why does a fast street engine of sizes 302-327-350-383-400-434 have the SAME duration cam for all six engine sizes? Buy the books & find out.
How do Crane & Comp rocker arms compare actual valve lift versus the stated ratio? Buy the books & find out.

Of course they recommend something. You think they're there to give you free advice? This is why I like forums. While you might have to sift through some answers, it's FREE.

Let me pose a question. Knowing how many years experience you're pulling from here for FREE, do you honestly think a cam vendor's recommendations are gonna net you anymore power?

My intent wasn't to squeak more power out, but for validation that it was a correct suggestion for my application. I have read "wise men seek wise counsel". My original assumption was that the cam was actually going to give me too much HP on the high end and not enough torque on the low end.

It don't matter to me what the specs of the cam are, or what my hp/tq numbers end up so long as the truck performs satisfactory. Trepidation with proceeding sets for me when you encounter varying ideologies of what's best where the variances are quite notable.

Surely I don't want to leave power on the table by going too conservative but I just don't have enough experience to know where that line is.

My method on any information I receive from someone that does not have a vested interest in my build, but seems to genuinely want to help is, trust, but verify their suggestion.

I think a lot of the suggestions from the Cam Techs are probably fine, as I can't imagine them having any benefit to suggesting something that wouldn't work well.

Last edited:
-
Back