Cams for 318's

-
Check it, 318's were just bread n butter engines, I have never seen one with much from the factory, especially an 1985.

Check it, 318's were just bread n butter engines, I have never seen one with much from the factory, especially an 1985.
Well.. that makes me sad... went and measured, piston is .050 in the hole and with a .080 head gasket that makes 8.62:1.. not great.. but it's what i got.. this is gonna suck more than i expected :)

On the upside.. my piston to valve clearance is gonna be amazing!

With cometic .027 gasket i can get back to 9.6.. soo... not sure how well that thin would hold on a stock untouched deck though

Mr. Gasket Head Gaskets 1121G are .028 thick.​

They can be used on an untouched deck.

Mr. Gasket Head Gaskets 1121G are .028 thick.​

They can be used on an untouched deck.
Ahhh thanks much! 9.6 sounds much better than 8.6 :) just need to order gaskets/cam/timing chain and i think i have my whole motor ready... other than a carb

Comp has a desktop dyno that free, you can plug in any of there cams, and it gives a pretty accurate read-out.

This mean mama jama is in a stock piston, 900 cfm TQ topped 318 magnum. Stock stroke

Screenshot_20230731_185755_Gallery.jpg

@toolmanmike @Icetech @273
4.10 gears, 3500 stall in a 727. Performance is great. Engine was originally built for high banked dirt track figure 8 racing which is where the cam design cam in... Jim at Racer Brown made the profile to have low end torque to help the car come out of the corners and deal with the mandatory yield/stop rule. Made for 6,500 rpm but to have low end grunt thus the low duration @ 050 and the 106 lsa. Stock pistons flipped backwards (lets avoid that debate) with home ported heads, Chinagap intake and modified Thermoquad. Bailed off the figure 8 idea and threw the 318 in a 75 duster for drag racing. Thumps really well too

@toolmanmike @Icetech @273
4.10 gears, 3500 stall in a 727. Performance is great. Engine was originally built for high banked dirt track figure 8 racing which is where the cam design cam in... Jim at Racer Brown made the profile to have low end torque to help the car come out of the corners and deal with the mandatory yield/stop rule. Made for 6,500 rpm but to have low end grunt thus the low duration @ 050 and the 106 lsa. Stock pistons flipped backwards (lets avoid that debate) with hoke ported heads, Chinagap intake and modified Thermoquad. Thumps really well too
Was just wondering, my cam is .525 with 225/232@50 on 109... will have to use a stock coverter though til i get parts to convert to 24 spline on the trans :(

Was just wondering, my cam is .525 with 225/232@50 on 109... will have to use a stock coverter though til i get parts to convert to 24 spline on the trans :(
I understand that. Jim took a long time thinking out the specs for it since it was an unusual request.

I understand that. Jim took a long time thinking out the specs for it since it was an unusual request.
yeah, i wanted 108 but to keep the duration down cause of crap gears (now i have 4.57s but i don't think i will run them, it's too much) and got what i could off the shelf.. is that a roller?

yeah, i wanted 108 but to keep the duration down cause of crap gears (now i have 4.57s but i don't think i will run them, it's too much) and got what i could off the shelf.. is that a roller?
Yep. Hydraulic roller

The 318 it went in

20221112_174048.jpg

Hello,

I would like to replace the original camshaft with this Lunati one in my 318

Lunati 10200701
Lunati 10200701: Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Mopar Small Block 273-360 Lift: .454" /.475" - JEGS

Currently cylinder heads are original (cast iron) with Weiand dual plane with Holley 600 mechanical.

As there are a lot of hills in my city, I'd like not to lose torque at low rpm but gain something at medium RPMs

What do you think? Am I making the wrong choice? Any recommendation with this cam ?

Thank you!!

What carburetor is this? I assume a spec class with a 2-barrel requirement.
It's a modified Stromberg WWC 2 barrel. Uses Holley jets and is about 500 cfm. My grandpa swore by them when he raced his hobby stock 360. The figure 8 class is basically anything-goes as long as you use factory style exhaust manifolds. No headers. That's the only rule.

-
Back