Carb change.....

-

lenweiler

Reaction score
Been planning this for, well, since the engine was built. We've upgraded from the 950 HP, to this, a 1050 dominator. I'm told the stroker will like the extra plenum and carb.

First we checked all the rollers to make sure there were no clearance issues after last year. Lots of grinding went into this block, previously.
carbchange001.jpg

Everything looked good. Rivets were unmarked.
carbchange002.jpg

I got a warm and fuzzy feeling putting this on..........
carbchange003.jpg

carbchange004.jpg

We're looking for the low 10's...........

Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

BTW, did you get any vacuum readings with the previous carb @ WOT before putting the new one on?

No vacume readings.
We've veered off to the 'mostly track' lane. When the engine was built, and I ordered the carb, I did it with the idea that we'd be shifting around 63-6500 when all said and done. But since the thing pulled so hard and bounced off the 7000 limiter, we decided to add a stiffer gear and thought it prudent to go with the dominator to feed the extra rev's. The heads and the cam should be happy.

No vacume readings.
We've veered off to the 'mostly track' lane. When the engine was built, and I ordered the carb, I did it with the idea that we'd be shifting around 63-6500 when all said and done. But since the thing pulled so hard and bounced off the 7000 limiter, we decided to add a stiffer gear and thought it prudent to go with the dominator to feed the extra rev's. The heads and the cam should be happy.

Thanks for your reply,

I was curious as to what your vacuum reading at wide open throttle was so as to determine whether or not your 950 hp was acting as a restriction, and also to compare it to the new dominator reading. :)

I've heard that once .5 inch of mercury is seen at WOT, a larger carb won't make any difference. I'd like to find out if this is true or not. Since my Duster isn't done, I was hoping I could get some numbers from you to prove or disprove this theory, since your already swapping out to a larger carb.

I understand RCharger. But since we've opted to wind the little bugger tighter a larger carb is usually in order. And I was told by the head porter that a dominator in this application was the better choice. So far, he's been on target..........

So what do mean Len? Are you saying I can't use your time and money to prove or disprove someone else's theories for my own benefit? LOL! :sad10:

Just kidding brother! Let us know how it turns out. :grin:

I like theories. Reletivity and such. Right?
I hope we both learn something....
Bigger is better......... in some instances, or so I'VE been told........ LOL

W5's........... and there's next to nothing available in (short of expensive sheetmetal) intakes. A good head by Mopar, but as usual, they can the intermediate 'good stuff', and concentrate on the high-end stuff. The basis of the W5's for me, was reasonable cost (... yeah) and supporting hardware. I should have concentrated on these....

w7heads007.jpg

w7heads001.jpg

... and looked for a 48 degree R block. But that would have been more than I wanted................ at that time.

They're w7's, actually. Don't beat yourself up for not knowing. It's all oddball stuff. Especially the 7's. I'm told there's atleast 3 different sets............... These are cnc ported. Probably when I get a little braver......

Well. It's all buttoned up. Had to re-fab more fuel lines ( the old ones wouldn't reach the carb). Fab a new throttle cable bracket and get a new and longer cable. Not much room between the scoop and the air cleaner. May have to find a new and funkier one. Oh well............

carbchange002-1.jpg

carbchange001-1.jpg

carbchange003-1.jpg

Lookin' good Len! Can't wait to find out how it performs.

You truly have some exotic heads laying around, or were those pics taken at the machine shop?

Thanks. I have a good feeling about this upgrade. But the engine may want even more gear behind it. The 430's may not be enough.
And no. The W7's are sitting on the shelf, in my shop, waiting for the day that me, or someone else will use them.
As for exotic. I remember when the W5's were considered 'exotic' (I must be old). Now, the W8's and 9's are considered the norm and the P5 head is exotic. I suppose it's all 'reletive'. LOL.

Len , your engine looks awesome !! you did a superb job !!
keep us posted on how it runs this spring .
JOHN

raggie scoop low shot 400pix.JPG

Hi Len . Yes it's me !!!
Can't wait to here and see that little dart roll NOW with that awesome sb. you are building .
Since your are on the topic of carb size ... I tried holleys from 750 on up to the 950 HP. My 402 magnum stroker loved the 850 holley DP the best of all.
Raggie is just an animal with that carb on. the 950 just does not flow that volumn of air the 850 holley does.
yours should love that big carb your have picked out .
keep in touch Len!
JOHN

raggie Good scoop 400pix.JPG

In the instructions that come with a K&N filter I'm sure it says somewhere to remove the plastic bag from around the filter before use. LOL. Interested in selling the 950?

Hi Len . Yes it's me !!!
Can't wait to here and see that little dart roll NOW with that awesome sb. you are building .
Since your are on the topic of carb size ... I tried holleys from 750 on up to the 950 HP. My 402 magnum stroker loved the 850 holley DP the best of all.
Raggie is just an animal with that carb on. the 950 just does not flow that volumn of air the 850 holley does.
yours should love that big carb your have picked out .
keep in touch Len!
JOHN

Will do. Keep it between the ditches!

Here's Zack from last year with the new engine, befor he went back to U of S http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Y_6JRUS5o

In the instructions that come with a K&N filter I'm sure it says somewhere to remove the plastic bag from around the filter before use. LOL. Interested in selling the 950?

Maybe that's why it won't idle!
As for the 950. I want to see if the dominator improves times/mph. If it does, and I'm pretty sure it will, I'll likely sell it. But that won't be till late spring.

-
Back