Charging circuit - reduced load on ammeter circuit

-

Demonx2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have read about every post on this forum as well as the B-body, C-body, Moparts, MAD Electrical, etc forums on this topic. Most of these discussions are centered on eliminating/bypassing the ammeter as they can be prone to be a location or source of fires, thermal issues, etc. The MAD Electrical ammeter bypass threads often get into how to improve upon the charging circuit since our beloved old Mopars can definitely use some help there.

I'm working on my 71 Demon 340 and although 50 years old, this car only has 40k miles on it (I've owned it since 1984) so the hardware has more time than miles on it. BUT...the wiring is still 50 years old and pretty crispy so I'm replacing all of the harnesses in it (engine, wiper, trans, front end lighting) but I am not replacing the underdash harness. This gets me all new junction block connectors on the engine side of the firewall. When I pulled the IP out, the dash harness looks to be in pretty good shape but the junction block connectors will still be the original on the pass side of the firewall. Just for good measure, I plan to change out the terminals on the higher current circuits so these connections will be fresh on both sides.

BUT...while I'm at it...and after reading all of the threads as I mentioned on the ammeter bypass, I'm thinking there is a way to reduce the load on the ammeter while still keeping it functional. (It won't read anything meaningful but it will stay somewhat centered in the gauge reading.) So my thinking....

The original wiring running a loop from the alternator output through the firewall then through the ammeter and back through the firewall to the B+ side of the battery to charge it does have some downsides. (The power to feed the car comes on the alternator side of this wiring circuit.) And since these are only 12ga wires...well, with age and temperature, that can be a lot to ask of the wires and the smallish terminals in the bulkhead connectors. But if you want to read current and whether it is flowing from the battery to feed the car or if it is flowing from the alternator to feed the car and charge the battery, that is how it was done for the type of gauge MaMopar used. The killer for this wire circuit is when the battery is low and being fed a lot of amps from the alternator. When this occurs, the 12 ga wire from the alternator and through the bulkhead connector has to carry the full alternator current output to feed the car and the current to charge the battery at the same time.

To improve upon this, I propose just following part of the MAD proposal and some others and simply provide a direct charging path from the alternator to the battery. This would be done by adding a wire straight from the alternator output to the B+ at the starter relay. Then simply leave the rest of the wiring intact. It would look like this - with the blue 10ga wire and green 14ga fusible link as the added wiring. (Note that I have reused the base schematic that someone else on another site created but is also used on the MAD Electric site.) (In reality, I would use black for the new wire circuit but are shown in blue and green for clarity.) Adding this new wire is pretty straightforward to do as it would route in the same harness with the current alternator wires and then back by the bulkhead connector, simply jump into the starter relay part of the engine harness.
upload_2021-12-23_13-45-7.png

This essentially provides a direct, unencumbered path to charge the battery. The charging load would all be carried by the new wire while the original black 12ga wire running into the car from the alternator would now only carry the current required to run the car. Gone would be most all of the current to charge the battery so that wire load goes WAY down.

At idle, when these old alternators don't put out much current, the battery will still feed the car through the original wiring as before and discharge some as they always do. But with the new wire added, once rpm rises and the alternator starts to generate current, the battery recharging will go mostly through the new wire instead of through the inside of the car like it does with the original design. (Yes, there may still be some charging current flowing on the orig path but it will be GREATLY reduced.) The ammeter will still "function" - meaning it will still show any current flowing through it but other than the discharging at idle (or an alternator malfunction), there won't be much current flowing through it.

Alright - let's hear it from some of those FABO electrical gurus. While I have experience with electrical systems in these cars, I'd like to hear from some of you experts in case I may be missing something - because bad wiring can lead to trouble in a hurry!!

Here's comin at ya....!!
upload_2021-12-23_13-54-15.png

Basically what you are doing by leaving the OEM wiring in tact is cutting in half the amount of current the two bulkhead wires have to carry.

The output post at the alternator and the post on the starter relay will both be at the same voltage. And the factory wires will be splitting the current to the welded splice (granted 1/2 the current will be going through the ammeter) and since the load on both sides of the anmeter will be the same it will not move.

You can move one of the connectors on the back of the ammeter to the other stud and effectively bypass the ammeter.

I did exactly this years ago. It was a common mod years before that. I think I used an 8 gauge wire and 12 gauge fusible link, though.

Ammeter doesn't work. Making a voltmeter out of a Sunpro CP8215 and a rally dash ammeter is a project for this winter. Probably.

What you did is still what is suggested, you just routed it on the schematic differently. Still the same though.

Screenshot_20200604-112856_Gallery.jpg

What you propose is essentially "a different" bypass, and Crackedback has been offering a harness for this for several years now. BUT there is a BUT........and that is that MOST of the ammeter circuit STILL NEEDS TO BE intact because it feeds power from the engine bay to the interior of the car. Whichever part of the wiring is "weak" means that "the rest of it" must make it up, and if there is weakness "on both sides" of the ammeter, then you STILL have a problem

The "key branch off" is the welded splice, which as shown in the Mad diagram, is in the black ammeter wire. This means that with your direct bypass, IF the output terminal on the alternator to the original black wire, or the bulkhead connector terminals, OR the welded splice itself, if any of that is compromised, you still have a problem

So If the welded splice is OK BUT either of the other points on the black charge wire are compromised, now the only feed path for power in the interior is the original RED ammeter wire. So if the fuse link is partially compromised, the red wire bulkhead connector terminals, or the ammeter and it's terminals, YOU STILL have a problem

BEAR IN MIND I'm not saying what you say is a bad idea--many guys do this--but simply be aware that it is not --alone--a "fix all."

So far as "keeping the ammeter" while improving the circuit, there are several thoughts --not all my own-- which have popped up on the board occasionally

1...My own which I hope to experiment with this summer--involves adapting the circuit (on my 74 Scamp to the 76 year "external shunt" ammeter.

2....One of the guys on here talked about putting two diodes back-to-back out in the engine bay. These would not conduct or only partially turn on at lower charge rates and keep the ammeter operational while limiting higher values of current flow through the ammeter circuit. I'll have to see if I can find the thread

3...Another possibility might be using the same idea as yours, but with much smaller wire, and again--making sure the OEM circuit is operational and in good condition. This would act as a shunt that reduces current through the ammeter circuit while still allowing it to function. But it WILL NOT read smaller values, such as headlights and heater

I have two ‘65 Darts that I will eventually have to address this issue on. I’m not real familiar with the gauges on my cars (yet) or the circuit the ammeter is on, but I do have a question or two. Ammeters are often set up with a bypass, or shunt, resistor to eliminate some of the issues of having an ammeter directly in series with a circuit. For example, the old Snap-On ammeters, prior to their switch to inductive pickups, used a wire-wound one Ohm resistor to feed the meter movement. Does the ammeter in question use a “built-in” shunt resistor, or does it take full circuit load? If not, has anyone ever tried using a shunt resistor in parallel with the meter? It would show charge/discharge, but with less deflection. It might even require a modified meter movement. I hope I’m not asking a stupid question here, and I’ll be the first to admit I haven’t spent much time studying the circuits involved. I do like the information ammeters provide, however, and would like to keep mine if it can be done safely.

The original circuit has no external shunt, and that is the "idea" in my "no.3" in my post

I can never remember tho, one or two years of the early A's used a "through buss" instead of the flat connectors so on those cars--not an issue.

See this ..........65 is supposed to be the "good" year, so all you need worry about is "normal" wiring/ wire end terminal damage and to the ammeter itself--but not the bulkhead connector

Bulkhead Connector Repair Info

The second ammeter terminal is missing in this photo, but in 65 they were large pieces of ?metal? (copper? brass?) with screw terminals

65-bulkhead-conn-jpg.jpg

Basically what you are doing by leaving the OEM wiring in tact is cutting in half the amount of current the two bulkhead wires have to carry.

The output post at the alternator and the post on the starter relay will both be at the same voltage. And the factory wires will be splitting the current to the welded splice (granted 1/2 the current will be going through the ammeter) and since the load on both sides of the anmeter will be the same it will not move.

You can move one of the connectors on the back of the ammeter to the other stud and effectively bypass the ammeter.
Yes, that is what I was trying to do. 1/2 the current on all new wires/connections so that should safely outlive me and I keep the ammeter intact. That is what I am trying to do.

Thx for the response!

What you did is still what is suggested, you just routed it on the schematic differently. Still the same though.

View attachment 1715841297
Very, very similar...but not quite the same. Running it the way you show would take a bit more mods to the harnesses.
All of these are very similar...which is part of why I enjoy studying them and asking!

Thx for the response!

What you propose is essentially "a different" bypass, and Crackedback has been offering a harness for this for several years now. BUT there is a BUT........and that is that MOST of the ammeter circuit STILL NEEDS TO BE intact because it feeds power from the engine bay to the interior of the car. Whichever part of the wiring is "weak" means that "the rest of it" must make it up, and if there is weakness "on both sides" of the ammeter, then you STILL have a problem

The "key branch off" is the welded splice, which as shown in the Mad diagram, is in the black ammeter wire. This means that with your direct bypass, IF the output terminal on the alternator to the original black wire, or the bulkhead connector terminals, OR the welded splice itself, if any of that is compromised, you still have a problem

So If the welded splice is OK BUT either of the other points on the black charge wire are compromised, now the only feed path for power in the interior is the original RED ammeter wire. So if the fuse link is partially compromised, the red wire bulkhead connector terminals, or the ammeter and it's terminals, YOU STILL have a problem

BEAR IN MIND I'm not saying what you say is a bad idea--many guys do this--but simply be aware that it is not --alone--a "fix all."
I was hoping you'd chime in! You are correct...if there are still compromised wires or connections...well, this won't solve them. I'm planning to string new wires/term under the dash and with the new harnesses under the hood and now much-reduced current coming into the car, I think this will outlast me!

Last edited:
4. You could use unoccupied slots in the bulkhead connector to run parallel wires to the OEM wires. This would take current load from the wires and from the connectors.

Our ammeters work on magnetics. When current passes through the shunt.

My meter with leads shorted. (Between 00.0 and 00.3 ohms)
16403238915264458047469755005553.jpg

My meter with leads on the ammeter posts. Between(00.8 to 00.9 ohms)
1640323998633438256252926819187.jpg

That puts the shunt at about 0.5 ohms
PXL_20211224_052625195.jpg

There is also a "U" shaped magnet in the stack the keeps the needle centered. When current passes through the shunt it creates a magnetic field and causes the V shaped plate attached to the needle to move.
16403242020967332585944860569041.jpg

Dana,
If those leads had good contact to the posts, then there is way too much resistance between them.

The resistance across any section of the circuits should not be readable on a standard multimeter.

from Charging system road rage, measured resistance of three ammeters
And the results are...
Zero, Zed, Nada on the meter!
So less than 0.1 Ohms plus/minus accuracy of the meter which I'll look up later.

The meter with the alligator clips together. 0.1 to 0.2 ohms. So that's our baseline reading.
View attachment 1715340286
Hawk gage set.
View attachment 1715340284

View attachment 1715340285

Same with the RAC gage set.
And the here's the rally ammeter.
View attachment 1715340287

Here's a back view of the shunt.
View attachment 1715340291

Now lets determine the impact of 0.5 ohm resistance in an ammeter.
Voltage difference is caused by current flowing through resistance.
V=I x R
R= 0.5 Ohms
What sort of current does an ammeter see?
Well it varies depending on how low the battery charge is.
Lets take a higher but still normal charge rate of 25 amps right after starting.

25 amps x 0.5 Ohms = 12.5 Voltage drop.
Now obviously that isn't going to work.
With that much resistance maybe 5 amps will get through to the battery.
5 amps x 0.5 ohms = 2.5 Volts drop.
That at least is plausible with an alternator producing at 14.5 V and battery below 12 Volts.

Even .05 Ohms in a main circuit connection is a lot.

Last edited:
Putting relays for your headlights will cut a lot of current flow through the bulkhead connectors, at least at night.

Dana,
If those leads had good contact to the posts, then there is way too much resistance between them.

The resistance across any section of the circuits should not be readable on a standard multimeter.

from Charging system road rage, measured resistance of three ammeters

Now lets determine the impact of 0.5 ohm resistance in an ammeter.
Voltage difference is caused by current flowing through resistance.
V=I x R
R= 0.5 Ohms
What sort of current does an ammeter see?
Well it varies depending on how low the battery charge is.
Lets take a higher but still normal charge rate of 25 amps right after starting.

25 amps x 0.5 Ohms = 12.5 Voltage drop.
Now obviously that isn't going to work.
With that much resistance maybe 5 amps will get through to the battery.
5 amps x 0.5 ohms = 2.5 Volts drop.
That at least is plausible with an alternator producing at 14.5 V and battery below 12 Volts.

Even .05 Ohms in a main circuit connection is a lot.

Actually the reading might BE .5 ohm, but that might be caused by the poor connections between the studs and the "shunt." AND THAT is one of the problems with these ammeters--in many? most? all? these girls, the studs are only a PRESSURE connection by the nuts on the back. They are not brazed or welded.

BUT...while I'm at it...and after reading all of the threads as I mentioned on the ammeter bypass, I'm thinking there is a way to reduce the load on the ammeter while still keeping it functional. (It won't read anything meaningful but it will stay somewhat centered in the gauge reading.) So my thinking....

It will usually read discharge correctly, but charge will not show at all. Mopar_Tim saw this when he did what you are planning, So its not just thory.
Assuming the connections are good, the shortest path to the equipment drawing power will be the one with least resistance. When the battery is providing power, that path will still be through the ammeter.

The insane part of MAD's reasoning is that on a normal car* the only major load going through the ammeter is charging after starting.
That's not to say an ammeter's studs can't come loose, or that something like charging a nearly a dead battery with the alternator can't put high loads through it, but that's not the normal load.
The big loads are from the accessories when the car is running. Things like lights, heater fan, etc.
When the car is running, power comes from the alternator because its the highest voltage source.
(The alternator supplies power around 14.5 Volts. The battery at best supplies power at 12.8 Volts.)

On your car the weakest connections along that route where the alternator output connecs at the bulkhead and the connector in the steering column.
upload_2021-12-24_12-27-8.png

Additionally, the headlight circuit has a long path and small wiring for the load, espeicially with later replacement headlights. As mentioned above adding a relay circuit has the additional benifit of keeping that load off of the R6 wire through the bulkhead connector.

*Normal car, not a car with added electrical loads like fuel pumps or a jeep or truck with a plow or winch.

Last edited:
IMO
I just put relays on the major players; feeding them power from either source, and triggered them by either the run circuit or the headlight switch. Ammeter-Guage still reads as designed.
If you trigger the blower off the headlight sw, then you can use that circuit as a DRL. If you run the headlight sw off a relay triggered by the run circuit, you can even make it automatic. Relays are very useful.

The ammeter will not read correctly when subcircuits are connected between it and the battery.

That may be true depending on model year and modifications. An ammeter must have the battery and charging source "on one side" and all the loads on the other

67Dart273 PM'ed me about this thread as he recalled mine linked below. The dual diodes allow your dash ammeter to still work at lower currents, but shunts progressively more current straight to the battery at higher outputs. The ammeter is intended to read all current flow in and out of the battery, except for underhood loads (starter, horn) or special cabin loads like convertible motor or spotlight.
Modernized Engine Wiring | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

1963 and 1965 have the dedicated buss-bars which 67Dart273 shows. 1965 is better since it has more terminals. In 1964, they moved the large IGN and BAT wires to regular 57 terminals, which might have caused melting issues (familiar?), so apparently walked that back in 1965. In 1966, they moved the wiper motor into the engine bay, so added a 3rd terminal row and put IGN and BAT back to spade terminals, I recall bigger ones but not big enough (hence these hacks). I changed my 1964 Valiant to a 1965 bulkhead from a Fury. I had to cut the square opening ~1/8" taller to fit.

If you want to reduce the load on the inside of the firewall, just run an appropriately size wire from the positive alternator post right to the positive side of the battery. Right? Even though the ammeter won't read accurately anymore, you'll still know when there's a "problem".

67Dart273 PM'ed me about this thread as he recalled mine linked below. The dual diodes allow your dash ammeter to still work at lower currents, but shunts progressively more current straight to the battery at higher outputs. The ammeter is intended to read all current flow in and out of the battery, except for underhood loads (starter, horn) or special cabin loads like convertible motor or spotlight.
Modernized Engine Wiring | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

1963 and 1965 have the dedicated buss-bars which 67Dart273 shows. 1965 is better since it has more terminals. In 1964, they moved the large IGN and BAT wires to regular 57 terminals, which might have caused melting issues (familiar?), so apparently walked that back in 1965. In 1966, they moved the wiper motor into the engine bay, so added a 3rd terminal row and put IGN and BAT back to spade terminals, I recall bigger ones but not big enough (hence these hacks). I changed my 1964 Valiant to a 1965 bulkhead from a Fury. I had to cut the square opening ~1/8" taller to fit.
Thx for that background!

If you want to reduce the load on the inside of the firewall, just run an appropriately size wire from the positive alternator post right to the positive side of the battery. Right? Even though the ammeter won't read accurately anymore, you'll still know when there's a "problem".
Yep, and that us what I am doing. The extra wire is essentially a "hard to see" safety update for a "stock" resto on my car. If something goes wrong with my car, I sure don't want it to be caused by the ammeter circuit!!

For what it's worth, I run an alternator to battery supplemental cable like you describe on both my Mopars.

My '68 has a 2000 Durango alternator on a serpentine drive, and my '70 has a rewound, dual bridge rectifier CS144 alternator that feeds a 12V distribution lug under the hood via a 2 gauge cable.

My trunk mounted battery is connected via an "0" gauge cable to the distribution lug and the starter. It does have the remote sensing wire that runs back to the battery too. It was surprising how much the alternators output increased once I moved the remote sensing wire from the distribution lug under the hood, to the battery in the trunk.

Both alternators put out more amps at idle than the dual field Mopar alternators are capable of with the CS144 puting out up to 110 amps at a slow idle and 220 amps at a fast idle and above. As you are aware, it only puts out what is needed by the system.

All my medium to high amp load circuits are run through relays under the hood. My bulkhead connector only feeds the LED dash lights and control voltages from my factor dash mounted switches.

Airbox1 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

-
Back