Comp XE268H v Crow 18619 - 318

-
I ran a Lunati Voodoo 256/262 adv duration HFT cam in a 360 and liked it but it was too small for the cubes and compression. Their "268" Voodoo cam seems like a good choice for your build, faster ramps and more lift than the equivalent-duration cams from Comp etc. But that's the extent of my experience with off-the-shelf cams. Next 360 I built (currently in my '70 Duster) got a custom-ground hydraulic roller cam from Racer Brown (Jim Dowell).

IMO the "Whiplash"-type cams don't sound that great to me, maybe because I can tell the difference in sound between a true high-performance engine and a regular engine with a rowdy-sounding cam lol. I'm personally more impressed by a relatively smoother idle with fast throttle response and the "pop" of higher compression. And actually being fast lol (yes I know Whiplash cams still can perform very well).

who’s the best engine builder on this site?

Me....notice the perfect hold down straps on the battery...

20220325_083921.jpg

I’ll second the Isky with some 1.6 ratio rockers. Screw that over rated and over hyped fast rate lobe crap. :eek:

Some DOPE will probably reply like he did in another thread about how Isky cams cost more, same cores etc.
Dope eh?? Call me what you like ya Bogan.. What I said was true.
But hey, I'm a Dope because I gave you facts... sheesh...

Barra,
In an engine like yours, anyone can install a cam with a few degrees more duration....& the butt-meter will feel the difference. Now, half way through the thread you have added that you would like a lumpy idle.
David Vizard has a couple of expressions that I like:
- I do not have an opinion, I have a dyno.
- The right cam costs the same as the wrong cam.
If you really wanted to see what worked best in your engine, you would probably have to try a few cams & spend the $$$. DV did just that. Tested over 19,000 cam combinations at Crane cams....& more. From that he derived the 128 rule, which you will find on the web. Works for street CRs & parallel valve heads.
The last thing you want is a cam with 112-114 LSA. Too wide. 106 would probably be ideal but a shelf grind with short enough duration might be hard to find.
That is why I recommended the Isky Mega cam, a compromise with 108 LSA. Using 1.6 rockers increases effective duration about 2-3*. I suspect the seat of the pants difference between 1.5 & 1.6 rockers would be hard to feel & you might think the 1.6s not worth the extra $$$.

The last thing you want is a cam with 112-114 LSA. Too wide.

Disagree with this. I would take cam advice from a cam grinder like Mike Jones before I would listen to Vizard.

My impression is the OP wants a shelf grind, which limits choice.
My opinion of Jones went waaaay down when he made disparaging comments about Vizard. Vizard calls him a friend, 'Mikey'. It is ok to disagree with someone, but when it is someone who is supposedly your friend, you disagree in a nice way, not the way Jones did it.

Vizard's latest you tube video, April 4, is worth watching: 'What's new in 2022'.
I do not know how to link it.
How many You Tubers invite you to email criticisms??

Looks like someone just bought a couple of David's books.... LOL..

Why isn't everyone using Isky? or Comp, or a dozen plus other grinders??

The old 224@50 , 0.500 lift cams... I think just about every grinder ever had one of those in the catalog !!

Disagree with this. I would take cam advice from a cam grinder like Mike Jones before I would listen to Vizard.
Are you familiar with the type of grinds he recommends?

So why isn't everybody using Jones' cams?
Marketing, or the lack there of.
Why isn't everyone using Isky? or Comp, or a dozen plus other grinders??
I don’t know how popular Isky was back in the day or when & why they seem to fall out of popularity, but Comp has marketing madness behind them. Which includes every magazine practically.
Vizard's a good magazine writer......
Pretty good one at that for being a racer & engineer first.

-
Back