Concentrix Logo "I work for a multibillion dollar company that doesn’t really care for its employees

-
On a personal note, I asked one of many, tiered levels of management where I work, what would he do with out me, his response was that" he'd take my salary, put it to plan".....
This manager sounds like a real douche. Good companies require good leadership, something it seems this person is lacking.

This is all so true. I work for a multi-billion dollar organization in an IT role, but I'm fortunate enough to work for one of the better companies.

^^Absolutely! Front line support is an entry level position, and it is not usually a fun job so the good ones don't stay there very long.

Outsourcing is going to happen in the modern economy. Not always, but a lot of the time. It's our job, as workers in the US (and Canada, in my case) to do your job with such a high level of quality that it makes the executives think twice about the idea. And if your department gets partially outsourced, that's when you really need to crank up the awesomeness. Companies do sometimes un-outsource, when the service from offshore is bad enough compared to what they're getting locally. My company is doing it right now in the Finance department for Accounts Payables. We sent it offshore and it was a disaster, so just over a year later it's coming back.

^^ So true. When times are tough or when growth targets aren't met, the executives will be looking at the costs first. If you are working in a cost centre, try to add value however you can.

Hopefully the OP can find something else, because if things are really that bad, it would take years for things to get significantly better. But the executives first have to recognize a problem and decide to fix it, and if they don't see the situation as a problem then things won't change.

I would like to clarify for the folks that are not familiar with large corporate structure in the 21st century.

-Corporate
-Management
-Outsource (contracted to a 3rd party)
-Managenent
-Offshore (not on American soil)
-Management
-Customer support / Technical support
-Customer

When calling for customer support, lets say that your file server is reporting a NV-Dimm is high ECC count. Offshore get the call frames and moves to a TSE. TSE troubleshoots and provides a solution.

PS, Please find some humor in my original post. Thanks

I know, right? I never read posts this long. I always skim them and then look at the replies to get the gist of it.

That said, the assertion that corporate America is the devil, is a stupid one. I've never seen a poor person provide jobs. Where do people think jobs come from, the job fairy? No, corporate America. Just like everything else, you have to take the bad with the good. Get over it, suck it up, quit whinin and move forward.

You know this is funny in that I just had to revisit this comment.. To me this is a typical management response. I remember when I 1st joined this forum in 2014 that you (RRR) would ***** and complain about almost every post that was put on here and you would chastise and correct the OP's and I'm not saying that most didn't deserve it!.

So now you have a position on here as "Technical Editor" but now you don't ***** as much. The funny part is, that in a corporate sense you "Drank the Cool aid" and we are still the grunts like you once were.

And FYI I enjoy being a Support person, I like to help other people succeed, I have no desire to lead someone else's troops as in management, I would much prefer to lead my own.

And to think we outsource this stuff to India Call centers at $4/hr...Want some freedom? Get out of the office environment and stretch your legs. I work alone most of the time. Meet new people everyday, fix stuff by hand, solve problems....Only time it sucks is when it rains, or when I'm forced to wait for someone else to do their job so I can complete mine. Great office view too!
View attachment 1715244495

Jeez dude! You need some Bashlin Velcro pads some kinda bad!

This manager sounds like a real douche. Good companies require good leadership, something it seems this person is lacking.

You are quite right...........He thinks he's a great leader..........I work in maintenance, stuff breaks all the time, he want's to know root cause of failure besides minimal service time allotted (extended run schedules ), harsh environment (very wet ), marginal design..........he is a bit of a car guy, I showed him a set of head gaskets I had destroyed on my Barracuda (pictures are some where here on the site) asked him why did they fail, no clue; I spent probably 2 1/2 years trying to solve the mystery, asked dozens of people for possibilities) got talking to him one day as I was on my way out the door, gaskets came up again, told him I had developed a reasonable cause of failure after 2 1/2 years of problem solving, he told me I should have given up and just moved on, I told him I did it for the acquisition of knowledge.......so much for preaching "root cause"..........

Corporate America in reality has little or no reguard for the worker bee, despite the public face they give you.........for every job opening posted, there could be 100 people applying for it, one gets it..........many jobs start out as "part time" positions, as such you (the employer ) are limited by law on how many hours you can work the employee unless the employee "volunteers " to work, they get volunteered for alot of 12/7 work scheduleds.

On a personal note, I asked one of many, tiered levels of management where I work, what would he do with out me, his response was that" he'd take my salary, put it to plan"........now if you think about that statement, it says he has virtually no measurable worth to him as a human being..............I show up to work every day; I have over 10 years of perfect attendance; ready to do my job with in the confines they create for me...........that is the face and perspective of Corporate America I see and work in everyday, we the worker bees are just so much cattle they begrudgingly have to put up with, I'm still there because I like to eat regular meals, a roof over my head, not because I like the place..........
And if robotics were perfected and cheap enough, you would be gone in a heartbeat

..Companies do sometimes un-outsource, when the service from offshore is bad enough compared to what they're getting locally. My company is doing it right now .

Here too, we (old provider) used to outsource tech support but the new company is all based in USA. :) Im talking to TN now instead of the UN.

Makes me glad I am in an employee owned company working in agriculture. Too many people with too much screen time and an inflated sense of worth. They would loose me like a set of car keys--------------------

question to OP-

What exactly kind of support do you provide? You never said.

I once worked for a county level government IT shop, where I alone, as a six month employee, provided computer support- general operating system (windows and mac), productivity application (office, word perfect, etc, plus custom SW and basically any thing anyone bought), communications, WAN/cloud connectivity (through three different providers, AT&T, GTE and United Datacom), and local network support (AD and netware) for over 10,000 employees, while another department had a staff of five that supported only one application and a third department had a staff of two that supported yet another single application.

For someone starting out, pick a skill or career where your job can't be outsourced. Somebody from India or china can't fix your furnace, air conditioner, diesel engine, etc. Or build roads or do construction.

question to OP-

What exactly kind of support do you provide? You never said.

I once worked for a county level government IT shop, where I alone, as a six month employee, provided computer support- general operating system (windows and mac), productivity application (office, word perfect, etc, plus custom SW and basically any thing anyone bought), communications, WAN/cloud connectivity (through three different providers, AT&T, GTE and United Datacom), and local network support (AD and netware) for over 10,000 employees, while another department had a staff of five that supported only one application and a third department had a staff of two that supported yet another single application.

I provided support for Netapp as an Escalation Technical Support Engineer III, our primary function was break/fix troubleshooting for secure government sites which essentially means no logs to view. Also enterprise level customers like Oath(yahoo/Verizon) LUGA/HMS (her majesty's service) Ministry of Israel.. ect

And to think we outsource this stuff to India Call centers at $4/hr...Want some freedom? Get out of the office environment and stretch your legs. I work alone most of the time. Meet new people everyday, fix stuff by hand, solve problems....Only time it sucks is when it rains, or when I'm forced to wait for someone else to do their job so I can complete mine. Great office view too!
View attachment 1715244495

You got a coffee maker up there?

You got a coffee maker up there?
I could...given that I haul up 30 lbs worth of test equipment, harnesses and tools. That full HF Yeti coffee mug would slip right into my fanny bag. You can hook your belt over a span, straddle the pole and sit in it like a sling. Pack a lunch, sometimes your up there for hours rebuilding a bad splice. They used to have clip on platforms that you could stick into the pole with some gaff teeth and then wrap a chain around the pole to make a deer stand. Then you just stand on that forever. They took them away years ago, I guess they were deemed a liability...as in gaffing a 40 foot railway clearance pole with no strap (3 point climb) is not dangerous enough!
PoleWorkPlatform-03.jpg

You know this is funny in that I just had to revisit this comment.. To me this is a typical management response. I remember when I 1st joined this forum in 2014 that you (RRR) would ***** and complain about almost every post that was put on here and you would chastise and correct the OP's and I'm not saying that most didn't deserve it!.

So now you have a position on here as "Technical Editor" but now you don't ***** as much. The funny part is, that in a corporate sense you "Drank the Cool aid" and we are still the grunts like you once were.

And FYI I enjoy being a Support person, I like to help other people succeed, I have no desire to lead someone else's troops as in management, I would much prefer to lead my own.

LMAO! You just keep believin that. It'll be your little secret.

To expound on my last answer a bit more, Daddy always told me growing up that a "big wheel" was nothing but for a dog to piss on. He was a proud union scab who crossed Postal Service picket lines to go to work and support his family. He never liked white collar America, but at the same time, he knew where jobs came from.

To say corporate America is an evil and then turn around and take advantage of all that it provides.........including the internet is somewhat hypocritical.

I work as an Assistant Store Manager for O'Reilly Auto Parts. I cannot STAND management. Never have. I knew though, how it was going to happen if I did not take it. We have a fine group of people at our store. I knew no one else in the store would be offered the job, because they didn't have the experience or qualifications. I also knew that if I did not accept the position, they would hire outside the store.....and possibly outside the company. Who knows what kind of person we would have gotten? SO I took the job to help keep the team together. I was already performing all of the tasks of the job anyway. I tell new hires one thing. "I HATE being a manager. Don't make me do it, or it won't be pretty." It's worked well so far. I'm am not management material and they know it. They also know how extensive my experience is. I have actually learned to enjoy it somewhat.

Artie, think about a career in water, one way or another everything and everyone needs clean water. I wish I had done it 30 years ago. Some positions are labor intensive and some arent.

Assistant Manager is a very unforgiving position.

You learn very quickly that **** dos not always flow down hill.

I was Project Team Leader which was basically the same as Assistant Manager.

(That was after being the entire help desk for 2 years then a network installer for another 2, then a network troubleshooter and network application support for 3)

A good asst mgr has the back of his team members and speaks on their behalf to mgt if they have valid concerns. He also gets to tell the team sometimes- "this is what mgt want's, and even though it may fail, we need to try to make it work.

two way street and you are right in the middle.

Last edited:
Is Netapp that remote control and workstation administration package?

If so, we looked at that but settled on Altiris then migrated to MS system center.

But on the up side you probably won't get hurt or killed on that job.

Or just maybe move to India and find a hot girl?
They got smoking hot ones over there that know all about Kamasutra.

Is Netapp that remote control and workstation administration package?

If so, we looked at that but settled on Altiris then migrated to MS system center.

Netapp sells and supports their own line of hardware and software. Data center controllers, storage shelves and switches for stand alone and clustermode configurations. Very large storage configurations that host just about all the protocols and backup configurations. All backend with workstation control management.

The thing for me is if my employer cared about our concerns, we could take care of the customer faster and better. We care about doing a good job and it is frustrating.

That's the whole reason I got into management.

I saw things that could make everyone's job easier and the customer get better service, if I had a larger sphere of influence.

Your initial post reflects modern society more than corporate culture - or the corporation's fault/responsibility for poor behavior all around.

I can say many similar things about my beloved water-borne military branch. I have made many security reports on behalf of my base that have been ignored. A middle eastern looking individual tried to buy a uniform from me when I went inside to pay for gasoline, Dually tracks backed up in the mud right up to the gate, Unauthorized personnel driving around the torpedo magazine, etc.

The 'personal-ownership' an individual has for their job, their family, their friends- which translates to caring, responsibility, initiative for the responsibilities and property of others as if it was your own personal property/goals/dreams, etc.

That being said, it is hard to commit to personal ownership in an organization that ignores their people.

Personal ownership, and selflessness begins at the top of the organization, it begins with the leadership.

I provided support for Netapp as an Escalation Technical Support Engineer III, our primary function was break/fix troubleshooting for secure government sites which essentially means no logs to view. Also enterprise level customers like Oath(yahoo/Verizon) LUGA/HMS (her majesty's service) Ministry of Israel.. ect

Too bad the fed gov doesn't utilize you guys enough. OPM branch of the government lost ALL of EVERYONE's personal data to a Chinese hack/breach. Why one portion of the government utilizes you and another doesn't is beyond me. Once a significant hack happened, say when Sony was hacked by North Korea, the fed gov should have immediately put something in place. If I ever found out who did that, I would not make to paradise, & I would take them with me.

I know, right? I never read posts this long. I always skim them and then look at the replies to get the gist of it.

That said, the assertion that corporate America is the devil, is a stupid one. I've never seen a poor person provide jobs. Where do people think jobs come from, the job fairy? No, corporate America. Just like everything else, you have to take the bad with the good. Get over it, suck it up, quit whinin and move forward.

RRR is correct. The small utility company I worked for was bought out by a large Corporation. As long as you did your job they treated us very good.Good enough in fact I was able to comfortably retire at age 60. I butted heads with mid management at times but was good at what I did so it all worked out in the end That would not have happened under the old Company.

Last edited:
-
Back