Cooling issue

-
Ya know,, the last time there was an Overheat problem, I thought I'd seen a trend, I did a search using the word "Overheat",, 10 of the first 12 overheat threads had electric fans instead of regular,, I spot read a few more threads and drew a conclusion.. I'll never use an electric fan, unless it's the VERY LAST choice... jmo

Ya know,, the last time there was an Overheat problem, I thought I'd seen a trend, I did a search using the word "Overheat",, 10 of the first 12 overheat threads had electric fans instead of regular,, I spot read a few more threads and drew a conclusion.. I'll never use an electric fan, unless it's the VERY LAST choice... jmo

at the mopar meet in tulsa last year was a dam fast 65 ply., 500 some " I think. he had an alum rad. and 2 ten" fans on it. he told me that he`s never seen his second fan kick on, even in round to round summer heat, w/ the alum. "no fan shrouds" radiator he had. car was kick as$ fast too.

Got rid of the edelbrock water pump and it's better. At an idle I had a solid 1" stream coming into to the rad. Just imagine what it looked like at 3000 rpm. Went back to stock. Still heats up but not as bad.

I've got a 4 row Champion radiator with dual electric fans and the shroud from Champion as well. I typically run 180 -195 degrees, but on very hot days, in the nineties, it can get to 210 in traffic but never gets higher. That is perfectly acceptable temps for any motor, and I am running a stroker as well.

Good observation Ink.

An electric fan is not as efficient as a mechanical one with a good shroud.

With how much the air is blocked by the shroud, you are not able to use all of the available cooling area of the fan.

Darn, I just reread my post and it should have said that you are not using all of the cooling area of the radiator, not the fan... :banghead:

And the edit button is no longer available for me to edit.

I've got a 4 row Champion radiator with dual electric fans and the shroud from Champion as well. I typically run 180 -195 degrees, but on very hot days, in the nineties, it can get to 210 in traffic but never gets higher. That is perfectly acceptable temps for any motor, and I am running a stroker as well.

This radiator is a two row Be Cool. And to answer one of the other post, I am running a separate trans cooler. It's in the mid 90's and hot as hell. Just not used to seeing the gauge go over 200.

Do you run a 26 inch radiator, if so the chevy HHR fan is a good fit and pulls a lot of air, and its only $53 new on rock auto or ebay.

Attachments

• aspen side shot.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 200
Few questions...

1. Are the fan(s) pulling?( i.e. wired to pull not push).

2. What is the cfm total? This number is very important.

3. Also did you upgrade your alternator?

4. Did you add a hi flow t stat when you had the eddy water pump?

Its hard to see in the pics but is your upper rad hose higher @ the thermostat end than the rad end?

Lets get this figured out..

Got rid of the edelbrock water pump and it's better. At an idle I had a solid 1" stream coming into to the rad. Just imagine what it looked like at 3000 rpm. Went back to stock. Still heats up but not as bad.

I removed the T stat and it cooled off 10-15 degrees...I know thats a big no no but now it never overheats

Edit to add I just have a 340 but that trick is worth trying, IMO

Have you checked is it sucking the lower hose shut?

Few questions...

1. Are the fan(s) pulling?( i.e. wired to pull not push).

2. What is the cfm total? This number is very important.

3. Also did you upgrade your alternator?

4. Did you add a hi flow t stat when you had the eddy water pump?

Its hard to see in the pics but is your upper rad hose higher @ the thermostat end than the rad end?

Lets get this figured out..

Fans are pulling
No idea on cfm, fans are out of a late model camaro
Same alt, rad and stat

When you add electric fans to a mopar, you need to up the alt output. In doing that, you also need to do an ammeter bypass. Look into cfm. Its important.

I think you might have missed a few variables before coming to your conclusion. Most cars that run a regular fan are stock, or nearly stock motors (meaning they make less power, and generate less heat). Most guys that are building performance engines look for every bit of power they can get, so going to an electric fan is natural because it free's up horse power....and higher horse power cars make more heat....just something to consider before drawing conclusions.

My car used to run hot with my stock fan, then I yanked it and put a 16 inch electric fan on with no shroud....it still ran hot. Finally, I tried a Chevy HHR fan on my radiator (fully shrouded, pulls a crap ton of air, fits a 22" radiator perfectly, I got mine for 50 bucks new through Rockauto)....it ran WAY cooler after that.

Now, after switching from pump gas to e85, i don't even use my fan very often unless I'm sitting in traffic. The cooling power of alcohol is awesome.:D

Um... It's 97° out. That engine makes past 1.2hp/inch - and it's got aluminum heads so it's tranferring more heat into the coolant. 210 is not "hot". It's warmer than it's run in the past, but certainly not hot. 220 is warm. When I set up fan switches I set them for 215° to come on and they should be able to cool it back down to 195. As long as your system can maintain that 210 level you're fine. 230 is hot, 240 is very hot. It doesn't seem like a big difference there but if this cooling package worked when it was 90°, or 85°, it's working fine.
It's 97° outside... What does it do when it's 75° at night?

I think you might have missed a few variables before coming to your conclusion. Most cars that run a regular fan are stock, or nearly stock motors (meaning they make less power, and generate less heat). Most guys that are building performance engines look for every bit of power they can get, so going to an electric fan is natural because it free's up horse power....and higher horse power cars make more heat....just something to consider before drawing conclusions.

My car used to run hot with my stock fan, then I yanked it and put a 16 inch electric fan on with no shroud....it still ran hot. Finally, I tried a Chevy HHR fan on my radiator (fully shrouded, pulls a crap ton of air, fits a 22" radiator perfectly, I got mine for 50 bucks new through Rockauto)....it ran WAY cooler after that.

Now, after switching from pump gas to e85, i don't even use my fan very often unless I'm sitting in traffic. The cooling power of alcohol is awesome.:D

I too, searched for every 100th of a sec. I could find, at the TRACK, but achieved next to zero drag from the water pump, by having a 7 blade clutch fan, pulling the field wire off the alternator, and loosening the belt so it slipped like heck on accel, but turned the water pump coming down the return road at low rpm/idle.

It worked for me, and I have the hardware to prove it,, :) and I have zero problems in or out of traffic, any temp..

I did say it was jmo,, and electric will still be my last resort..

cheers

Um... It's 97° out. That engine makes past 1.2hp/inch - and it's got aluminum heads so it's tranferring more heat into the coolant. 210 is not "hot". It's warmer than it's run in the past, but certainly not hot. 220 is warm. When I set up fan switches I set them for 215° to come on and they should be able to cool it back down to 195. As long as your system can maintain that 210 level you're fine. 230 is hot, 240 is very hot. It doesn't seem like a big difference there but if this cooling package worked when it was 90°, or 85°, it's working fine.
It's 97° outside... What does it do when it's 75° at night?

I've been taking out every afternoon when I get home and it's getting better. Never went over 200 today. I think the more time I put on the motor the cooler it seems to be running. This thing puts a big *** grin on my face.

What kind of cooling system are you guys running on your stroker motors? The old Be Cool rad I had with the 340 ain't cutting it with the 97 degree heat and the new motor. It runs 195 until you stop at a light and never recovers. Runs up to 210.

I wouldn't worry as getting to 210 in 97 degree heat isn't bad

-
Back