Cost of setting timing, on a V8 ??

-
I don't have a timing light, so I had a local Mechanic check, and re-set My timing, on My 383 Mopar, with electronic ignition. He did not get into the distributor, or carburetor. While doing this, He adjusted the 2 idle screws on the Edelbrock 600 CFM carburetor. -- It was a basic set the timing. - He used no parts - labor, only, and He charged Me $150. -- This is a small one man shop. -- I feel like I got "ripped off". -- Comments ??
You did! It took two hours! If you came to me and nothing weird popped up, I would have charged you 40.00.

While it wasn't checking timing, I wanted to check the alternator on my Durango (battery was weak). I've got a slick early 90s Snap On Counsellor II scope that has alternator wave forms. First I had to pull the BMW out of the garage and then move some stuff off the Scope and from in front of it. Then I rolled it out, checked the manual on how to hook it up (it's been a couple of years since I last used it, that was also the first time). Alternator was good.

The point to this story: all of that took me about half an hour. If it had been setting the timing and adjusting the mixture screws on an old car, about 20 minutes. And, I don't do this every day, but I have been at it for about 40 years.

You could have bought a very nice light and let me borrow it! Lol I don't trust anyone working on my vehicles I'm a diyer thru and thru if I don't know how I will read and learn how to do it. Most the shops around here where I'm from will rip you off in a heartbeat. I went in for an inspection and had them put some of that die in my ac cause I suspected it was leaking (was not as cold as it once was) so he told me to come back in week to check it. So I did the first guy came out which I knew but the owner didn't know I knew. He said looks fine to me you just need to recharge it il let the boss know. Then then another guy came out and looked for like 2 secs and went back in and came out with the boss. The boss went on to tell me I needed a whole ac unit and it was shot and It was gonna be around 2500k I just laughed at him and drove off I went to Walmart and got one of those DIY charge kits for 30 bucks and to this day it's still ice cold that was seven years ago!! I know another guy that went to that same place for fuel lines and was gonna charge him 1500 bucks he went to another shop and got it done for 300! We live in a small town there is not many places so basically this guy just charges what he wants

did he give you an estimate? did you even ask how much it was going to be?...got to at least take an interest

And we willingly pay lawyers how much per hour.....
If that was a lawyer you would have got a steal of a deal...

He adjusted the idle screws??

I DAM sure hope he pulled the carb off before adjusting that!

the idle screws should be labeled and listed on the exploded view as DO NOT TOUCH screws....

I hope its not a Holley carb....if it is he did it wrong?
on the Edelbrock 600 CFM carburetor
On a stock smogged setup from the late 60s into the 70s, idle mix on both Holleys and Carters were adjusted using idle bleeds and a CO meter. But that's not what he's got.

-- I disagree on that, and I have a large garage and many tools. -- Haven't had a need for a timing light (had one years ago), and vacuum gage, until now. -- Will have one in the future.

I understand this all sounds like I'm a dick. But the reality is, if you had the tools and the knowhow, and the concern that having to pay someone to do it for you would be costly, you would do it yourself. So from my perspective, you also paid for not having to do it. Would I charge that much? No. But I am not him. And ultimately it's up to him. You gave him that responsibility when you decided it was easier to have someone else take care of it.

A different perspective:
A good steak at the butcher is $8.00. Potato, $1. A steamer bag of veggies $1.29. You put it in your grille, use your spices (your know how and experience used), use your microwave, and use your butter, on your plates, and eat your dinner. Or, you go to the local mom-n-pop, pay the $21.95 plus drink, tax, and gratuity, and walk out happy after paying $35 for a "$10.29" steak dinner. In both cases you've eaten a steak dinner. One you did yourself, the other you gave that responsibility to the cook and compensated them for their efforts and location.

... and this is why you're upset. You're focused on only the one thing you find relevant...lol.

Now go buy a light!!! lol

I live in north east pa. Danielsville near Allentown. If you would have come here that sort of job is free. Checking the timing chain adjusting the air mixture screws and setting the timing are about 15 min. Some times when you do little things for no charge they come back for repairs. Most will always slip you a tip for free service.

You got screwed by a little guy that thinks he is a new car dealer. He will go no where . His clientele is low so he needs to make as much money as he can on anyone that walks in. Wonder what repairs would cost there. FABO guys are always welcome here and help is always given. I do complete tune ups for less. Steve

I live in north east pa. Danielsville near Allentown. If you would have come here that sort of job is free. Checking the timing chain adjusting the air mixture screws and setting the timing are about 15 min. Some times when you do little things for no charge they come back for repairs. Most will always slip you a tip for free service.

You got screwed by a little guy that thinks he is a new car dealer. He will go no where . His clientele is low so he needs to make as much money as he can on anyone that walks in. Wonder what repairs would cost there. FABO guys are always welcome here and help is always given. I do complete tune ups for less. Steve

Only broke stupid people work for free.

As pointed out, he has the tools, the shop and the KNOWLEDGE to do it. You charge what it's worth.

Stupid people who treat this as a hobby have killed the making of a living at a profession that requires an ASSLOAD of tools and tooling, and incredible amount of overhead and knowledge out the ***.

Plus, you now have to deal with interweb pricks who do this because they "love" it and will work for free.

Seems you and I have had this same conversation and I see you've learned nothing.

There is no excuse to not own a timing light if you are going to do this for fun or a living.

And then, you always have the customers who **** **** up and then blame the guy who touched it last. Don't forget insurance, taxes, cleaning supplies, power, water, garbage...

Some of you need to get a real world experience. Life isn't free.

Be happy the guy has your **** tuned up.

I would say overpriced. 5- 10 minute job, if he had to adjust the distributor ( first read of your post sounded like he only adjusted the idle screws and not the distributor). 2 minutes if he just adjusted the idle mixture, hopefully with a vacuum gauge. But the price is expected if you go to a mechanic. Believe it or not most mechanical shops don't make as much money as you would think. That's why there labor rates are higher than a body shop. Also, charged labor hours is a percentage of the actual labor hours. Where I live its 1 to 1. So if it took 1 hour to complete the work, the charge is 2 hours. In other places in the country s 2 -3 times the actual labor. So consider this when determine if its a fair price too.

I would say overpriced. 5- 10 minute job, if he had to adjust the distributor ( first read of your post sounded like he only adjusted the idle screws and not the distributor). 2 minutes if he just adjusted the idle mixture, hopefully with a vacuum gauge. But the price is expected if you go to a mechanic. Believe it or not most mechanical shops don't make as much money as you would think. That's why there labor rates are higher than a body shop. Also, charged labor hours is a percentage of the actual labor hours. Where I live its 1 to 1. So if it took 1 hour to complete the work, the charge is 2 hours. In other places in the country s 2 -3 times the actual labor. So consider this when determine if its a fair price too.

Exactly. If you don't charge like that, you'd be lucky to make it six months. Some people have no idea what it costs to operate a shop. How outrageous that taxes are and how quickly one can lose money than rather make it.

And while he was working on your car, there could have been a Viper or Vett in that bay hooked up to a diagnostic equipment machine that no questions asked would have netted the shop the same rate/ charge. You're lucky some shop even new what a carburetor / distributor is! In your shoes, buy a light.

@Oldmanmopar and @yellow rose
I think you both have good legit points and equally are overlooking the other's situation and perspective.
Not right to judge the mechanic he paid and his business model without more info. Many businesses are successful by focusing on higher end, higher paying clients - and that doesn't always mean their service or product is really that good, but they make it seem like it is. Point is they create a perception and the way they charge is a part of that.

But Steve's close by and would have helped the guy out 'cause he wants to, that it might pay off later in one way or another, that's just a different business model. Maybe it won't ever make him a big business. But lets say everything is paid for (no rent on the shop, etc) and he has some time to help just like he was a fellow hobbyist. Its not a drag on the business like it might be for a guy who has to commute to a shop that's rented and needs to move a certain amount of business through in the 8-10 hours he's going to put in.

Heck we're all here giving out free info to some extent or another. One reason I've done it is because others have done the same for me. I've actually got pretty specific goals on the web boards; finding and sharing arcane information and helping people learn to how to solve problems or goals. When I get off track, or just too busy, I take a break since at this point I feel I've generally paid my debts.

And while he was working on your car, there could have been a Viper or Vett in that bay hooked up to a diagnostic equipment machine that no questions asked would have netted the shop the same rate/ charge. You're lucky some shop even new what a carburetor / distributor is! In your shoes, buy a light.
You have a point here. My son is an ASE certified mechanic and he's never touch a carburetor before I bought him one.

It's not too much. I know going in, if I don't do it myself, the quality won't be as good and I'm going to get charged too much. The guy has a shop to run and his own house to pay for. If you went to a friend or someone you knew on this site, that's different.

As I asked: how much do you want to pay to have your car running right?

Of course, you could have paid *nothing* and it wouldn't be running right, or you could pay $150 to have someone else make it run right.

Seems cheap enough to have a 383 car be able to get out it's own way.

Maybe instead of bitching about the price you could say, "thank you."

I have read some of your quotes. Think of what you are saying. It is ok to charge $150.00 to open the hood check the timing and turn two screws.

That would be like charging someone to check their fluids and clean their windows. God forbid shops have to buy tools. That shop just paid for his timing light with one customer.

Another thing you guys are forgetting is the price mark up on parts prices. Most shops make their money on Parts. The mark up is almost double for no work at all and they are delivered.

Yes all my hand tools are paid for and I didn't pay for them by ripping people off on diagnosing or estimates. I actually did some work in my day.

You pay your bills with returning customers. If they don't come back you run out of customers .

It has always been good practice to treat first time clients well. It gives them the incentive to return

Just my advise

Do you think RPMagoo would go back to get an actual tune up. Wonder what that would cost him?

I got many timing chain jobs by just showing people they have slack in their chain for free. Or showing them that they have other issues besides timing and fuel mixture problems. That is how you keep customers returning. Giving a little may yield more than you think.

You younger guys think if you buy a Snap-on box and rent a big shop your labor rate is higher than that of a Craftsman tool little shop owner guy with the same knowledge. You are only fooling yourself if you get in over your head before you establish a good clientele. You then deserve to sink.

My advise to RPMagoo is don't ever go back and warn others of his high rates. I would post the shops name and area. That's me like it or not.

He adjusted the idle screws??

I DAM sure hope he pulled the carb off before adjusting that!

the idle screws should be labeled and listed on the exploded view as DO NOT TOUCH screws....

I hope its not a Holley carb....if it is he did it wrong?
Really? You don't adjust your idle mixture screws? Explain how they were adjusted wrong if it's a Holley. How would you know that?

you don't even need a timing light.

I have read some of your quotes. Think of what you are saying. It is ok to charge $150.00 to open the hood check the timing and turn two screws.

That would be like charging someone to check their fluids and clean their windows. God forbid shops have to buy tools. That shop just paid for his timing light with one customer.

Another thing you guys are forgetting is the price mark up on parts prices. Most shops make their money on Parts. The mark up is almost double for no work at all and they are delivered.

Yes all my hand tools are paid for and I didn't pay for them by ripping people off on diagnosing or estimates. I actually did some work in my day.

You pay your bills with returning customers. If they don't come back you run out of customers .

It has always been good practice to treat first time clients well. It gives them the incentive to return

Just my advise

Do you think RPMagoo would go back to get an actual tune up. Wonder what that would cost him?

I got many timing chain jobs by just showing people they have slack in their chain for free. Or showing them that they have other issues besides timing and fuel mixture problems. That is how you keep customers returning. Giving a little may yield more than you think.

You younger guys think if you buy a Snap-on box and rent a big shop your labor rate is higher than that of a Craftsman tool little shop owner guy with the same knowledge. You are only fooling yourself if you get in over your head before you establish a good clientele. You then deserve to sink.

My advise to RPMagoo is don't ever go back and warn others of his high rates. I would post the shops name and area. That's me like it or not.

I've run two shops. One a restoration shop, one a general repair shop.

While I never got rich off either one, I did so honestly and with integrity.

I used to love some of the guys who would come in with a car and ask for an estimate on a restoration. I'd had them a price and they'd ask me why I was so expensive as to compared to the body shop down the street.

Um, because I quoted you a restoration, the other guy quoted you a paint job.

Instead of asking me why I'm so expensive, ask the other guy why the other guy why he's so cheap.

The OP could have asked for an estimated charge up front. The guy said two hours at $75 an hour 'cause the book said two hours flat rate charge he could have walked away.

From what I gather he said, "I want this done," and then had to pay for the work.

Too damned bad.

*You* don't like the other guy's price? Undercut him.

To say post his name, blah, blah, blah..
Really? You're trying to ruin a guy's business because *you* don't like his price based on what? The OP not getting an estimate or a quote before hand? Because *you* would do it for free? How magnanimous of you.

-
Back