Crime and cost of living in your area.

-
NW Arkansas is beautiful. I looked at a practice just outside of Fayetteville, Fayetteville/Rodgers is an expensive area though.
Correct you need to stay on outside of those metros. 15 mins outside of either is rural and very cost efficient. Yet still close enough to cruise into town for the amenities.

Correct you need to stay on outside of those metros. 15 mins outside of either is rural and very cost efficient. Yet still close enough to cruise into town for the amenities.

I met my wife 27 years ago when I was an Air Force recruiter stationed in Jacksonville Arkansas. We're in NW Georgia now and love it but she wants to go back to Arkansas to be closer to family.

I'd like to be in the Northwest area... maybe Fort Smith area, but live outside the city. I just applied yesterday for a position in Fort Smith/ Van Buren. We'll see!! I'll certainly be in touch if/when we move!

When I was a recruiter there, I recruited college grads to go to OTS. University of Arkansas was my bread and butter. My wife attended school there but didn't graduate.

I met my wife 27 years ago when I was an Air Force recruiter stationed in Jacksonville Arkansas. We're in NW Georgia now and love it but she wants to go back to Arkansas to be closer to family.

I'd like to be in the Northwest area... maybe Fort Smith area, but live outside the city. I just applied yesterday for a position in Fort Smith/ Van Buren. We'll see!! I'll certainly be in touch if/when we move!

When I was a recruiter there, I recruited college grads to go to OTS. University of Arkansas was my bread and butter. My wife attended school there but didn't graduate.
Send me a PM anytime, I own and operate a Firearms Training Center in Prairie Grove just South of Fayetteville.

Consider Prescott or Prescott Valley, still reasonable home prices but the area is still growing. Temps are usually 10-15 degrees cooler than the Phoenix area. I lived in Yakima for 45 years and Washington State has gone to ****. Glad we relocated. Lots of jobs, nobody wants to work.

Consider Prescott or Prescott Valley, still reasonable home prices but the area is still growing. Temps are usually 10-15 degrees cooler than the Phoenix area. I lived in Yakima for 45 years and Washington State has gone to ****. Glad we relocated. Lots of jobs, nobody wants to work.
Nobody wants to work. People schedule interviews and don’t show up. It’s partially why my wages are so high for a non-CDL driver. I’m only $1 less an hour than our CDL drivers. The people who do work, don’t work very hard, it’s easy for me to shine.

With all do respect.......:thumbsup:
I had to…

961C8FA4-0DD8-41A9-B4EF-5AA4522E0556.jpeg

@ dart4forte, why did you give me a red x? Is it because you don't like country living? The crime rate in Warren county is low, people are friendly, they help each other. What more could you ask for?

The point of this thread is to help me decide where to move my family. I have no political intentions, and would like to keep politics out of this thread. I understand that is hard for some to do, especially when crime rate is discussed. I would love to hear everyone’s input on this one as I am pretty open.

I would also like to mention that I know that bad things can happen anywhere. I know that small town doesn’t automatically mean safe. I know things everywhere are more expensive now.

Here we go, I am 34 and I am raising a young family. I have 2 boys, and a little girl on the way. I recently moved from Las Vegas NV to Lacey WA in efforts to move my family somewhere safer and family friendly.

It’s beautiful here. I love the weather, and the scenery is awesome. Although Lacey was a great little town when I was younger, it has devolved in recent years.

The average cost of a house in the county I live in is $500,000. I am paying $1500 a month for a somewhat dingy 2 bed room apartment. I do have a secured garage, but it is shared with other tenants. Small yard, and we can hear our neighbors through our shared walls. Not the perfect situation, and very expensive for what it is.

The real issue is what I refer to as The Walking Dead. My neighborhood and the surrounding areas are full of homeless encampments. Drugged out losers wandering around, causing trouble, setting fires and worst of all wandering into my fenced yard where my children play. Right up the street are two giant half way houses. This wasn’t disclosed to me before signing the lease.

Is this just the way of the world now? My wife is a stay at home mom, and I work. I can barely make ends meet. I can’t save, and If I don’t sell parts, I can’t afford this hobby.

How the heck can I afford a half million dollar home if I can’t save for the down payment? I am a non-CDL truck driver. I make a decent hourly wage, but it’s not enough.

I want to move my family somewhere safe, where home ownership is a possibility. I also need to be able to find work, but I’ve noticed that’s pretty easy these days.

Where do you live? What is the average price of a house in your area? How is the crime?

View attachment 1716012754
I recently just moved from Glendale AZ to Tarboro NC . Houses are really reasonable . Country living . You can find a really nice home with land , I've seen a few at 2 1/2 acres for under $150,000, Schools like any other , you get out of it what you put in. Raliegh NC area. Raliegh is a bit pricey but the surrounding towns are great.

My son (38, has been driving since he was 21) drives a gas tanker and makes good money with the overtime (six figures) out of west Sacramento. His problem is the hour commute from Grass Valley, but he loves where he lives and doesn't mind the commute. Wages and cost of living will generally track, but there are places where certain jobs will allow a better life than other places. You already know that truck drivers can find work anywhere. We are in Fresno and crime is up along with homelessness, but we're semi isolated from a lot of it where we live. Our modest house (1,450 sq ft) on a large lot (10,500 sq ft) will be worth around $400k when I finish with the second garage (400 sq ft and 450 sq ft garages). There are still affordable places here. I have friends who have moved to Tennessee from here and love it.

Here again, as a truck driver you can go anywhere.

My son (38, has been driving since he was 21) drives a gas tanker and makes good money with the overtime (six figures) out of west Sacramento. His problem is the hour commute from Grass Valley, but he loves where he lives and doesn't mind the commute. Wages and cost of living will generally track, but there are places where certain jobs will allow a better life than other places. You already know that truck drivers can find work anywhere. We are in Fresno and crime is up along with homelessness, but we're semi isolated from a lot of it where we live. Our modest house (1,450 sq ft) on a large lot (10,500 sq ft) will be worth around $400k when I finish with the second garage (400 sq ft and 450 sq ft garages). There are still affordable places here. I have friends who have moved to Tennessee from here and love it.

Here again, as a truck driver you can go anywhere.

My grandparents just paid 330k for a brand new 2500sq ft house with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on 1 acre in Ozark by my office.

What did I tell ya Doc!??

We haven’t gotten anything yet.

The worst part of Missouri are all the state, city, and personal property taxes. I could definitely do without those, the dang govt taxes people to death. Hell they even tax you after you die and pass everything down to your kids.

We haven’t gotten anything yet.

The worst part of Missouri are all the state, city, and personal property taxes. I could definitely do without those, the dang govt taxes people to death. Hell they even tax you after you die and pass everything down to your kids.
Doc, you just make too much $$$$. If you had a 500 ac. Mo. farm, you would pay prop.tax on the house and 1 ac. and not squat on the farm. You need a tax write off!!!!

My wife and I had an old friend stop by for a few minutes yesterday. He grew up here in Fresno and most recently lived in Pasadena. A couple of years ago he moved to near Austin, TX. He absolutely loves it, including the weather.

My wife and I had an old friend stop by for a few minutes yesterday. He grew up here in Fresno and most recently lived in Pasadena. A couple of years ago he moved to near Austin, TX. He absolutely loves it, including the weather.
Lots of west coast high end tech co.move to Austin area. Followed there by left coast guys. TeHo Country to the West is a big demand area. Al that there is high $$. Cheap to some Left Coasters!

Lots of west coast high end tech co.move to Austin area. Followed there by left coast guys. TeHo Country to the West is a big demand area. Al that there is high $$. Cheap to some Left Coasters!

Yeah, I don't know what my buddy bought, except that it was new. He's disabled from MS (61 yo), but had been a sales rep. Income doesn't seem to be an issue for him.

Hey ! Don’t you be sending more people this way ! …lol
besides havent you been watching the news ? 4 students murdered in their sleep …

woman and new hubby kill her children then bury them in backyard and flee to Hawaii ( also suspected of killing both ex spouses and her brother) .

Missing 5 year old boys body found buried in neighbors back yard.
Plenty of crime in Idaho …..

Housing is outrageous ! Even in little remote towns . Pay is getting better now . You might even make $20/hr if you look hard .
Plenty of crime anywhere. Have you ever traveled out of your home state, stay in a hotel and watch the local news? its eerily similar to the news at home, same stuff happens everywhere, only the faces change...LOL! My philosphy has always been, when in areas of dense population, the freaks, nuts and fruitcakes stand out more... meaning you'll see more stupid dumb drug and alcohol related shenanigans than if you were way off the beaten path. my dream has always been to have a 3/4 mile driveway, and surrounded on all sides by natuarral barriers,hills,trees,ravines etc. where if someone is coming you'll know it fairly quickly. Another thing I've seen is people thrive off drama, life isn't that dramatic if you live it normally but people have to do dumb overly dramatic things like kill their kids and run off to hawaii...my mom used to just say "go outside and play" when she got tired of us carrying on...:)

I lived in Pittsburgh all my life. I loved it.
We moved to the Burbs 12 years ago. Not for “White Flight” but to be closer to work. 13 miles to Pittsburgh is 45 minutes and 38 traffic lights. 12 miles to Finleyville is 15 minutes and 2 traffic lights.

I suggest you suck it up ButterCup. You asked about opinions of your situation. Thats what you get. Go back and re read my opinions. Out of here Bubba.
@ dart4forte, why did you give me a red x? Is it because you don't like country living? The crime rate in Warren county is low, people are friendly, they help each other. What more could you ask for?
Big red X? oh, might of meant to hit reply, big fingers

-
Back