Cruise Seems Lean

-
At 2400 rpm there should be plenty of power. On a typical carb setup the power valve (or step up) would only occur when you really really put your foot down, for example on a super steep hill or to make a rapid pass. The throttles would be open so far that the manifold vacuum drops from whatever it is at cruise, maybe 16" or 18 Hg, to 8.5"Hg or less.
The car should generate more power for every bit of additional throttle opening. At first the AFR will go leaner. It will keep going leaner and making more power the more the throttles are opened. Approaching full throttle and full power the engine needs richer mixture.

Since I havent messed with the 660s myself I can't knowledgably describe how that translates when using the the secondaries for the enrichment. Probably one of the other guys can. Its just a different way of accomplishing the same thing.

Random thought. With 660 center squirters not having a power valve, does this play into the lean transition spot? I know they are designed for tunnel rams but more geared around drag racing than street cruise
To overcome the transition skip could you increase the size of the center squitter's and add 50cc shot accelerator pumps in the primary?
Just spit balling

Regarding timing, rpm, load, and torque converters, I'll offer some snips and links for discussion.

In response to my questions about timing, Tuner wrote:
"An engine used for circle track or road race is operated in a fully thermally soaked condition, as is a highway car, and cannot stand, does not require, the "all in at xx??" curve, they want the best timing for best torque at the torque peak RPM and then continuous advance to more timing which gives best power at the power peak. The rate and amount depend on C/R, chamber design and manifold pressure, restricted carb or not, etc."

With respect to too much vacuum advance when cruising:
Q. What happens if the maximum vacuum advance is not limited?

A. "It feels like a lean miss or surge. It may be an occasional hard miss like a bad plug wire, or a gentle surging that sort of nods your head. A common euphemism for the sensation is "trailer hitching" because it feels sort of like a 2" hitch on a 1&7/8" ball.

In all circumstances, the object of ignition timing is to peak the cylinder pressure at or near 15-20 degrees ATDC."

In sum:
"The advance schemes I suggested...will work OK for most engines with old school combustion chambers, Mopar, Ford or Chevy. The outliers are the fast-burn chambers whether new or old. Pump gas makes it particularly obvious because it is so easy to get knock. A fast burn chamber will need a less mechanical (RPM compensated) advance, but may need correspondingly more in vacuum (load compensated) advance, particularly if a large amount of cam timing overlap results in more EGR. The need for vacuum advance is related to the slower burn of lean A/F but the effect of exhaust dilution at high intake vacuum is a significant reason for requiring more advance."

In response to a question about setting up an FE, Tuner had pretty much the same thing to say:
"The FE and many other engines want more timing after the torque peak RPM than the amount which gives best torque at the torque peak. Your engine with the 224°@.050 cam will have peak torque at about 3000 RPM.

If you are using high octane fuel, like Avgas or race gas, it is not so important to slow the advance curve to avoid detonation although it will probably run better if you do.

Drag strip only use a fast curve is tolerated because an engine is never loaded at mid RPM for sustained periods like it can be on the street or oval and road racing. The longer duration of load at any RPM increases the temperature of chamber and piston surfaces and the heat speeds combustion and so does not require or tolerate as much advance as the same engine used in only few second bursts at a drag strip."

I know most people reading this don't know Tuner (except YR) so as far as you know he could be a keyboard guy making stuff up. That's why earlier I mentioned a few of the road race cars he helped the owners with. He prefers to go just by Tuner on the internet, and I will respect that.

Bruce "Shrinker" Robertson" Regarding initial timing:

"If you enrich the mixture at idle it will require less timing and the volume of gas expelled from the chamber will be greater (because there is more fuel in the cylinder ). The greater volume exhausting resists reversion backwards up the exhaust port therefor it actually runs with a cleaner chamber. Funny stuff isn't it"

"BUT what you have to do is enrich it correctly with the right processes in the carburetor, sometimes it's not just a matter of winding out the idle screw or changing the IFR. Every engine has a design to it and Chrysler's are a bit different to the other US products, they are not chevs or fords, they are better. They have better combustion and its not necessary to follow the rules of the hotrod industry, as the industry is very Chev orientated. Now what i just said should get plenty of people jumping up and down( hopefully in fun)."
from here: Motorsports Village • View topic - Initial timing

Shrinker may make your brain hurt, but I appreciate his way of approaching thing even though I'm not even in the same league of understanding, experience or knowledge.
"Tuning is the process of visualizing the progression of combustion and its conversion to mechanical energy."

He provides a stage by stage explanation of the combustion in this thread about dynoing a 440. Reading this you can see why even a single groundstrap shadow can play a role in flame development.
Motorsports Village • View topic - Dyno time

Finally, here's a case (non-mopar) where he warns that cruise timing and AFR could cause problems when going to full throttle. But I don't think 71GSSDemon's engine is in this situation but maybe worth keeping in mind.
"Your engine has a big cam for that low a compression so I'm not going to get into helping you tune it. My advise is to be careful about the tuning because if you go the wrong way you will end up making NOx at light loads and damage the engine when you stomp on it. If you run it rich it will be safe and the reading on a WB cannot always be trusted. If you used a gas bench and a dyno you will find that engine has plenty of unused Oxygen in the exhaust and thats a bad thing, it means there is unused hot Oxygen's left in the cylinder and thats dangerous,thats why you need to be rich and no where close to stoich. Pick the wrong ign timing at cruise and you will have hot carbons glowing waiting for you to open the throttle and give you some preignition woes. So id put up with a rich cruise, maybe not as rich as you describe but more in the 12.5 12.9 range. I wouldnt advise to go leaner than that unless gas bench and dyno confirmation showed otherwise."
http://motorsportsvillage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=915

Bruce is gone and that’s huge loss. The knowledge he took with him is incredible. That’s why I’m riding Tuner’s *** to write a book. He fails to understand how his writing and talking makes it much easier to learn than most other writers.

He has a gift and he just doesn’t see it. He boils it down to the essence and makes it all makes sense.

Plus, he should write a book just of his stories. That would be an overnight best seller. He has some great stores. Plus he’s been around the block a few times so he has different experiences than I do.

Random thought. With 660 center squirters not having a power valve, does this play into the lean transition spot? I know they are designed for tunnel rams but more geared around drag racing than street cruise

It may be worth the effort to buy some metering blocks to get a power valve on the primary side. If you do that, you can lean the main jet out for a clean cruise and get WOT back in shape with the power valve channel restricters.

To overcome the transition skip could you increase the size of the center squitter's and add 50cc shot accelerator pumps in the primary?
Just spit balling

Yes the 50cc shot should be in their now and as for the squirter, it spreads the shot over all 4 barrels on both carbs. There is plenty of fuel when my foot is in it. I just question how to know where I am in idle vs transition vs main jet at that throttle position. There are 76 jets in the primary standard due to no power valve.

It may be worth the effort to buy some metering blocks to get a power valve on the primary side. If you do that, you can lean the main jet out for a clean cruise and get WOT back in shape with the power valve channel restricters.

These are 4224 carbs. Would a 4160 metering block work? Or 4150?

I can't do anything until the radiator gets here. The local stores didn't have the Champions. But they had NGK UR5. I could put the 3.91 back in to bring rpm up if needed, just not as nice on highway. Maybe actually cooling the engine will solve the issue????

I can't do anything until the radiator gets here. The local stores didn't have the Champions. But they had NGK UR5. I could put the 3.91 back in to bring rpm up if needed, just not as nice on highway. Maybe actually cooling the engine will solve the issue????

That UR5 will be fine. Is the water pump pulley smaller than the crank pulley???

That UR5 will be fine. Is the water pump pulley smaller than the crank pulley???

The water pump pulley is ~ 5.75" and the crank pulley is ~7". I did notice that the bracket I had made for the alternator needs to be redesigned to lower it. This will give more wrap of the belt on the water pump pulley. I am not comfortable with the amount of force it takes to turn the pulley by hand with the belt tight.

Side note, when I was looking things over, I see the vacuum advance hose was cracked right at the nipple of the can. Another issue. I know it was good before I left.

Last edited:
Yes the 50cc shot should be in their now and as for the squirter, it spreads the shot over all 4 barrels on both carbs. There is plenty of fuel when my foot is in it. I just question how to know where I am in idle vs transition vs main jet at that throttle position. There are 76 jets in the primary standard due to no power valve.
You are cruising on the idle circuit with dual carbs and your gearing. To determine when the primaries come in you can go to smaller jets and see when the car falls on it's face. PVs are the way to go on a street car.

You are cruising on the idle circuit with dual carbs and your gearing. To determine when the primaries come in you can go to smaller jets and see when the car falls on it's face. PVs are the way to go on a street car.

To switch to PV metering blocks, from what carbs can they be donated from? Something like a 600 vs? I have some of those in a tote.

To switch to PV metering blocks, from what carbs can they be donated from? Something like a 600 vs? I have some of those in a tote.
post a picture of what is currently on the carb, they probably have a plug in them. The old holley blocks will work but you need to check the IFRs so you know what you are putting in.

Here is the metering block from the front carb. Factory set with no power valve and 76 jets.

Resized952021060995102117.jpg

Resized952021060995102138.jpg

IIRC the 1850 metering blocks (the 600 vacuum secondary carb) will work. I would pin the emulsion and idle feed restriction and see where they are at. I’m certain the idle feeds will be smaller and that’s probably not a bad thing.
YR - food for thought
Would possibly Holley have a block with replaceable air bleeds?
If so, that's what I would source.

IIRC the 1850 metering blocks (the 600 vacuum secondary carb) will work. I would pin the emulsion and idle feed restriction and see where they are at. I’m certain the idle feeds will be smaller and that’s probably not a bad thing.

YR - food for thought
Would possibly Holley have a block with replaceable air bleeds?
If so, that's what I would source.

Below is from Andy from Unity Motorsports. He is running 660's on this truck. Great tuning info on those carbs. From Andy when I asked how he has power valves in his 660s....
"I ordered 4 primary blocks for a 1850 600vs Holley.. they work great but you must modify your baseplates to convert to have 4 corner idle mix screws.. if you don't want or need the 4 corner deal you can just bottom the mixture screws out and just use the Primary screws Hope this helps. Andy"

Last edited:
@71GSSDemon Why would you want to put primary blocks on the secondary side of this setup?
Honestly. I think you need to focus on one thing at a time. Get a non-leaking radiator in there and a fresh set of plugs. See how it runs. Then go from there.

While waiting for the parts you can go back and read some of the stuff posted earlier. The answers about to most of what you're asking is there. As Tuner would say, some assembly required.

Per Andy from Unity Motorsports. He is running 660's on this truck. Great tuning info on those carbs.

I ordered 4 primary blocks for a 1850 600vs Holley.. they work great but you must modify your baseplates to convert to have 4 corner idle mix screws.. if you don't want or need the 4 corner deal you can just bottom the mixture screws out and just use the Primary screws Hope this helps Andy

Right. Unless you want or need 4 corner idle you would just need two blocks. I’m with Mattax. Work on the heating issues first. Then you can start looking at a power valve on the primary side.

@71GSSDemon Why would you want to put primary blocks on the secondary side of this setup?
Honestly. I think you need to focus on one thing at a time. Get a non-leaking radiator in there and a fresh set of plugs. See how it runs. Then go from there.

Edit...I changed the wording in the previous post to be more clear, that is what he did. Not that I ordered parts.

While waiting for the parts you can go back and read some of the stuff posted earlier. The answers about to most of what you're asking is there. As Tuner would say, some assembly required.

Right. Unless you want or need 4 corner idle you would just need two blocks. I’m with Mattax. Work on the heating issues first. Then you can start looking at a power valve on the primary side.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean that I was doing that conversion at all. It was mentioned here, to explore power valves. My front blocks do not allow this, so I asked a carb guy. That is what HE is running. That is why I put it in bold and italics, that's all. My plan....I got new plugs and installed them. I am working on a new alternator bracket that will lower it, thus allowing the belt to wrap the water pump further, waiting for the radiator, reading the previous posts and others, and looking everything over. This is how I found the vacuum advance hose had split on the trip. That vacuum leak and loss of vacuum advance didn't help. I am listening and trying what you guys are saying. Thank you again.

Edit. I changed the wording in the previous post to make more sense. That was a quote from Andy on how he got power valves in his 660s. Not me

Sorry guys, I didn't mean that I was doing that conversion at all. It was mentioned here, to explore power valves. My front blocks do not allow this, so I asked a carb guy. That is what HE is running. That is why I put it in bold and italics, that's all. My plan....I got new plugs and installed them. I am working on a new alternator bracket that will lower it, thus allowing the belt to wrap the water pump further, waiting for the radiator, reading the previous posts and others, and looking everything over. This is how I found the vacuum advance hose had split on the trip. That vacuum leak and loss of vacuum advance didn't help. I am listening and trying what you guys are saying. Thank you again.

Edit. I changed the wording in the previous post to make more sense. That was a quote from Andy on how he got power valves in his 660s. Not me

I think you should be working you way towards a power valve on the primary side. It’s just a cleaner way to tune the carb. I think you should work out the other bugs first. I’m also not opposed to making your carbs 4 corner idle. It’s easier to get a cleaner idle with a 4 corner system.

I think you should be working you way towards a power valve on the primary side. It’s just a cleaner way to tune the carb. I think you should work out the other bugs first. I’m also not opposed to making your carbs 4 corner idle. It’s easier to get a cleaner idle with a 4 corner system.

Thanks and I will work towards that after these current changes are done. I may have a couple 1850s laying around to possibly steal the blocks out of but not until after the radiator and water pump pulley fix.

Side question. There seems to be debate as to manifold vacuum or port vacuum for vacuum advance. Books say port vacuum was only a change due to emissions and it will run cooler with manifold vacuum adding timing at idle. This is how my hot rod is because the 950 Holley 3 barrel has no ports. Works well in that.

Books say port vacuum was only a change due to emissions
This isn't true it all. Any book that states that is wrong.
All you have to do is look at various pre-emissions shop manuals and cars, especially Chrysler products.
For example, from 1959 (Session 136) of the Chrysler MTSC.
upload_2021-2-18_11-14-21-png.png

While some car companies, on some engines, did use manifold vacuum, they did so to get the best timing at idle they could with the distributors they were using.
But you can see in the manuals, on the cars, and in the information to the techs, Chrysler did not need to add vacuum advance at idle. Another example here.
upload_2019-10-11_10-13-43-png-png.png

from Ignition System Analysis (Session 259) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

However its interesting to note that on some early Clean Air Packages (CAP) Chrysler did use a manifold vacuum connection to the vacuum advance. This manifold connection was made to the vacuum advance through a special valve which operated during engine braking. This was to insure the leaner closed throttle mixtures were given enough advance to burn thoroughly for reduced emissions. See 1967 Chrysler CAP System: Master Technicians Service Conference (Session 241) for more details.
This later was dropped as unneccessary for automatic equiped cars.

It is true that retarded timing can put too much heat into the cylinder walls. And it is true that retarding the timing at idle was a technique used to better consume HC, especially early in the emmissions era. Further into the emissions era some vehicles used manifold vacuum that connected when coolant temperatures become excessive. But again this was to offset the retarded initial timing. Sometimes, when stuck with using an emissions era distributor advance curve, using manifold vacuum at idle may be a fine solution. It all depends on the specific situation.

Ten years ago I too thought ported vacuum was an emissions related development. See "Carb Issues", scroll down to #11, 17 (me), and responses #13, and #19-22 where Shrinker et al set me straight.
edit: Also very much worth reading is Shrinker's post 10 where he explains what is going on at idle with timing and fueling.

Last edited:
GM used manifold vac adv [ MVA ] & only changed to the useless PVA because of higher HC emissions with MVA. I really wonder how much difference it made to overall emissions because removing MVA [ more timing at idle ] reqd more throttle opening...& more fuel....because it made the engine inefficient.
One of the few things Mother got wrong was failing to use MVA.
Although MVA was there in the background, even on Mopars, during the 70s. Engines had a temp switch so that once the engine started to run too hot, PVA was switched to MVA. MVA increased engine speed [ engine making more HP ], which increased w/pump & fan speed & cooled the engine.

-
Back