Damper Split In 2 Pieces

-
Here is a few pictures of the balancer and the damage on the cover. I will probably mix up some JB Weld and just patch it and repaint it! Dont want to get into the front cover if I dont have to.

410 stroker motor 004.jpg

410 stroker motor 005.jpg

410 stroker motor 003.jpg

410 stroker motor 003.jpg

I switched to an ATI after my stock balancer spun the outer ring on my old nitrous motor. That was the only corner I cut on that build, and my motor found the weakest link pretty fast...funny how that happens.

The ATI is on my 410 now...probably about 6 years of use total, and NO issues. The guys at ATI converted it from external balance to internal for about 50 bucks when I put it on my stroker. I highly recommend them.

Moral to this story...stay FAR away from cheap parts, or parts that you think might work on any build that is more on the performance side of things.

I switched to an ATI after my stock balancer spun the outer ring on my old nitrous motor. That was the only corner I cut on that build, and my motor found the weakest link pretty fast...funny how that happens.

The ATI is on my 410 now...probably about 6 years of use total, and NO issues. The guys at ATI converted it from external balance to internal for about 50 bucks when I put it on my stroker. I highly recommend them.

Moral to this story...stay FAR away from cheap parts, or parts that you think might work on any build that is more on the performance side of things.

Yes it found the weakest link and I fully agree with YOUR Moral to this story!!

When it wore through the cover, where did the shavings go?

You might want to pull the pan to make sure it's clean, along with the oil pump.

Hughes should take that back and you shouldn't have to deal with the manufacturer, you bought it from hughes, they are your retail point. That's BS on their part.

Does summit make you send it back to the manufacturer??? We never did when I was running a shop in the 80's. We took care of the issue at the store level and dealt with the manufacture as a service to the customer and avoiding court like the plague.

I have the same "pro-street" damper on my 408. I recently went through the engine, and found the damper "0" mark was 5.5 degrees advanced, thus my timing, when showing 34, was actually 39.5. I don't know if it came that way, or it slipped during the 7000 miles I put on the stroker before freshening. I put a timing tape on it, marked the new centerline, and will watch for slippage in the future.

Oh, and it was a bugger to get on the first time, even with the 200 degree preheat. Second time was a little easier...

When it wore through the cover, where did the shavings go?

You might want to pull the pan to make sure it's clean, along with the oil pump.

Hughes should take that back and you shouldn't have to deal with the manufacturer, you bought it from hughes, they are your retail point. That's BS on their part.

Does summit make you send it back to the manufacturer??? We never did when I was running a shop in the 80's. We took care of the issue at the store level and dealt with the manufacture as a service to the customer and avoiding court like the plague.

I checked the oil and there are no METALIC looking shavings in it when held up to a light. I know it leaked alot of oil when this happened I am thinking that this forced most of the pieces outward by evidence of shavings on the k frame along with being on the back of the damper. It had oil pressure when I shut it off also. I will Flush the pan best I can before I run it and then change the oil a few times before I take it out.

Well damn! that scares me now! I'm really glad you posted that, I think I'll swap mine out before i put the engine in. I have near 7 grand in my stroker and would hate to destroy it over an 80 dollar part. Thanks alot man, your my new hero! lol

Made no noise happened when I pulled it in the shop after a HOT HOT run!!

This is a PRO STREET, I bought it from Hughes. I only rev this thing to 6500 rpm. POS!!!!!!!!!! Rated to 8k for an hour at testing??

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...ZW5naW5lcw==&level1=RGFtcGVycw==&partid=24225

I tried to use this same damper on my 408 last year and it would not fit the SKAT crank. I had the machinist at work take a few thou off the inside of the hub. It then went on fine but then the shout was to long and I had about 3/8 to 1/2" gap between the timing cover and the damper. It also came from HUGHES. I called and they sent a call tag and picked it up and refunded my money and said they had problems with some of them??? They should do the same for you by the way. Why not tell me that up front or quit selling the junk? The same damper is also sold by summit as said above. After seeing your problem, I'm kinda glad it didn't work. (Sorry for your problem though) I ended up buying the summit SFI approved one peice unit and so far it has held up fine.

I installed the Summit sfi, and had to space out my other pulleys 7/16". now to change the fanbelt, the radiator needs to come out, as I had to use studs on the water pump pulley. grrr

Just the name was enough to turn me away. I,m wary of companys who coin the phrase of the day to catch your eye.Kinda like pro comp.chinese junk. You guys invest thousands in your motors. Should,nt your damper be considered insurance. A few extra dollars gives you a lot better policy. Overkill in dampers is a good thing.If the motor blows the damper is still worth good coin. Look at what used fluidamprs go for on ebay. They are worth at least half what you pay new.

The Patch...........JB Weld Stick. This stuff works awesome!! Dont like using it but in this situation I dont mind. I used some Gray Silicone over the patch for any pin holes. I did not see any but just in case.

I just went out and looked at my new Hughes balancer (bought about 9 months ago) and find it is a different brand. Apparently some time in the last 9 months Hughes has switched brands. Probably more profit in the Pro Comp brand.

Hopefully this one is decent. It has an SFI 18.1 rating and the brand is PRW.

Here's a link to it I found on the PRW website

http://www.prwonlinestore.com/sfi181approvedracingandperformancesteelvibrationdamper-2431801.aspx

Man the price is really cheap for that damper..... looks really good also!!

It's a 2 piece unit, and i really don't recommend anyone to buy one either. I ts just doesn't fit period!:angry5: I thought well maybe it would fit better on a 69 and earlier motor? No timing indicator is cast in the same but only on the right side. Ive checked and called KMJ and the guy played dumb, "well i think there was another complaint about that"

I bought the same exact Balancer from KMJ and it didnt fit at all like it should> also pushed out all my pulleys about half inch cause that sucker is so wide. ended up just buying a stock balancer from nappa since my car is mainy street use with limited track use. would not recommend anyone buy one as well

Man the price is really cheap for that damper..... looks really good also!!

Yeah I just hope cheap price doesn't mean cheap quality. It looks pretty well made so that and the fact it's SFI rated is why I went with it. I would have loved to had the money for a more well known product but just had too many doctor/hospital bills the last 2 yrs.

It has arrived. I have found no good pictures of this Damper online so I decided to post them so you all could see its construction. I really like how the timing marks are on the correct side of the damper.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Is there a reason they call it "The Rattler"? Marketing hype? I always wondered if there was some sort of moving counterweight in them or something that made them noisy. It really looks nice.

Is there a reason they call it "The Rattler"? Marketing hype? I always wondered if there was some sort of moving counterweight in them or something that made them noisy. It really looks nice.

Marketing hype. You always gotta have a catchy name you know.

Hmm, the rattler doesnt sound like a good catchy name though!
As in..
IF some pistons were called ' the rattler' youd stay away from them haha!

-
Back