Damper Split In 2 Pieces

-
I'm curious, do you run a manual trans?
Do you flog it to 6500 in any gear then
jump off the gas or pump the throddle
to get it to pull the front wheels?

manual trans YES, ??? No I dont pump the trottle to try and pull the wheels. Good way to smash your oil pan and headers. Trying to get from point A to point B FAST is all!

Your right about smashing things!!:-D
I've seen several guys accel then deccl at high
rpm and spin balancers.
I've seen several bearings give out doing it.
Pretty hard on cranks and thrust bearings, balancers,
seen mostly on kids street cars. Chevys usually.

I've used about 7 Professional Products ones (non SFI) and never had an issue other than timing marks being a couple degrees off on 2 of them. The latest one is getting a Pro Street... Looks fine to me but we'll see. I have no faith in any manufacturer's balancing work. But if it was checked locally and was fine, must be the balancer.

Had a Professional Product SFI balancer come about on the strip a couple of years ago...

That's not the first I've heard of it. Just my experience with them. They are inexpensive and not SFI approved either. I think pretty much all of the lower dollar balancers are going to have more attrition than a top brand like ATI.

Hmmm..made in China???..i run a nothing fancy Mopar sfi on my stroker runnning 11.0's no problems with the dampner..then again it was made in Canada:thumbup::thumbup:

I always have used stock balancers on my cars. If the rubber looks old or the ring has moved some, I just try to find a good stock one to replace it. But I only hit about 6,000.

Haven't heard of many oe ones coming apart.

So much after market stuff is crap these days. You wonder if they ever actually tested the **** before they took our money.

Man, I would take a look around, just don't replace the balancer, put a dial indicator on the crank, something is amiss, a stock one from the 70's will do what you want it to.

Ok, took it apart and there is a minor hole in the timing cover behind the balancer where it RUBBED itself through. With a little bit of of gray silicone and repaint while on the car and it is ready to put back together after I get the new Dapmer. When it is done you will never know it happened!

Man that sucks. I have one of those from Hughes new in the box I was planning on using on my stroker too. I'm too not happy about hearing their made in china after their bragging about selling American made parts. Let us know how Hughes handles the warranty if you don't mind.

Man that sucks. I have one of those from Hughes new in the box I was planning on using on my stroker too. I'm too not happy about hearing their made in china after their bragging about selling American made parts. Let us know how Hughes handles the warranty if you don't mind.

Tracy,

I have heard of a few of these coming apart. Their ad says there is no way that it will seperate or come apart..............I guess they are wrong.

Talked to Tim at Hughes today and he also said he has heard of a few and that the only way to get it covered is to send it straight back to the manufacturer and they will replace it. So I guess I will look into it.

Brian at IMM Engines runs the Rattler made by TCI that I put the link to in the earlier post. I just purchased it and should have it in my possession in 2 days.

Tracy,

I have heard of a few of these coming apart. Their ad says there is no way that it will seperate or come apart..............I guess they are wrong.

Talked to Tim at Hughes today and he also said he has heard of a few and that the only way to get it covered is to send it straight back to the manufacturer and they will replace it. So I guess I will look into it.

Brian at IMM Engines runs the Rattler made by TCI that I put the link to in the earlier post. I just purchased it and should have it in my possession in 2 days.

I think the "key word" here is "SFI" forces the manufacture to build it to a much higher standard.

the rattler would have been my choice of the to links posted above.
Have never used either one, but would like to try one of those some day.

The best solution?Buy from whomever builds it here and backs it up. The chinese have no pride or concience apparently. Remember when the japanese started building cars,electronics etc? Gradually the quality rose and now they can make better than most. I see no similar pattern with the chinese. Was,is ,and ever will be crap! K,Im off my soapbox now. Just seems that whatever it is,if it has a made in china label on it you should expect a lot less for your $$.

Tracy,

Thanks for the info Louis. That warranty stinks but that seems to be the norm for perf. parts. I think I'll also look into a better balancer as I hate doing rework. Plus there's always the chance it'll destroy something big. Looks like you got real lucky it didn't come apart at 6k

BTW: Was that one SFI rated? Sorry if you said and I missed it.

wow that sux.

I'm running a $50 stock replacement I picked up from smokey [smokeys speed & machine] he threw on it on the balancer ofr me on the spot and only took out the drill tip worth ..and neutral it was, for sure.
It's now on my 410.
if you decide to buy from another retailer, try mancini racing and their line of balancers or BHJ.

See if the crank snout wobbles, see if the bolt hole is straight.......

Or not.

Just saying, don't throw another dampener at it without investigating. Thats all.

Of course I inspected it, nothing is amiss that I can see. Even the balancer where it goes thru the front seal has NO MARKINGS on it at all. If the front of the crank was wobbling there would be evidence of it there. How I drive it I believe it would have EXPLODED the whole engine for sure if that was the case.

The crank is 4340 so are the H beam rods and it also has forged pistons in it. The bottom end is studded along with a GIRDLE. I tried my best with the limited knowledge that I have to OVER build the engine for its intended use. The Damper was a BAD choice and I will never run another balancer unless it is SFI approved.

Yes I would say I got lucky for now being that the damage could have been alot worse. Radiator, water pump, fuel pump, hole it the inner fenders even a FIRE could have started if it took out the pump!!

Any way I chose the RATTLER from TCI and it should be here in 2 days. It will be running again by Friday! At that point I will change the oil and filter along with adjusting the valves for the first time since being off the DYNO.

Thanks for the info Louis. That warranty stinks but that seems to be the norm for perf. parts. I think I'll also look into a better balancer as I hate doing rework. Plus there's always the chance it'll destroy something big. Looks like you got real lucky it didn't come apart at 6k

BTW: Was that one SFI rated? Sorry if you said and I missed it.

It was not SFI approved. I thought it would be ok since it is rated for 8k. With what you are building I would agree to get a better balancer!

The Bottom Line Is, No Matter What The Origin Of These Balancers. The Are Being Sold As A New Replacement, & Don't Seem To Outlast The Oem Balancers. I Have A Pro-street Balancer On My 360 Right Now. Its Going To Get A Complete Inspection Before Race Season & After Every Race.

The Bottom Line Is, No Matter What The Origin Of These Balancers. The Are Being Sold As A New Replacement, & Don't Seem To Outlast The Oem Balancers. I Have A Pro-street Balancer On My 360 Right Now. Its Going To Get A Complete Inspection Before Race Season & After Every Race.

I agree with you it is being sold as a Replacement.

The 40 year old stock balancer that I had on my 340 would get spun over 7200 RPM on a regular basis and it NEVER came apart.

-
Back