Distributor vacuum advance hitting intake.......

-
I ended up removing the distributor and re installing according to FSM. My car has its factory type parts with electronic ignition added at some point. I got engine at TDC and moved the distributor drive gear one tooth so that rotor would be pointing at drivers side front left bolt of intake. As I placed distributor in I made sure the VA was pointing parallel with firewall as its starting point. After firing up and adjusting timing by ear I used my light and and I am happy with the outcome. Thanks everyone for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Hallelujah !!!!!!
Way to do it the correct way.

All my life I used the "then popular" 2- piece KD tools with the connector piece in the middle. 1/2 on one end, 9/16 on the other. When I had the part time job at the NAS Miramar auto hobby shop, I used that on every car you can think of. Fords, Poncho's, Olds, Chev, and Mopar. And a few more.

kd tools 2 piece distributor wrench - Google Search

My first car was a 265 57 Chev. When I first started out I never knew there WAS a right and wrong way to install a dist. I would just drop it in, with the vacuum can "about where" I wanted it, and bring up the marks. I was too ignorant then to know how to find compression, so I'd just "try" it and if it backfired, rotate the dist--or the wires--1/2 turn.

Back then we had REAL gas stations, and one of the guys I knew was watching me check the oil. He says, "That thing can't run, the distributor is all wrong."

"Well I drove it in here......................."

$9 - $12 Vato Zone, Oreillys, Amazon, etc.

download (3).jpeg

Thanks. I have one pretty much like what is shown, purchased one from the SnapOn guy many years ago.

Not all aftermarket distributers are the same as the factory ones. I had an aftermarket dissy I put on my small block and I could not adjust timming correctly as in the correct way it would hit on the firewall and put one place back would hit on the manifold so I just put a different one in and it lined up correctly!

Love this stuff. engine and distributor don't care where the rotor lines up as long as the plug wire is in the correct terminal for timing/firing order.

As long as you can make it work, great. The FSM was the same way they did it in assembly for one reason, consistency of finished product. Everything goes together the same way every time, rotors not pointing to the front left, front right, rear left corner of car creating variables in assembly process.

Cool the OP got it installed and running.

I used a distributor wrench, 1/4 ratchet, finally settled on a long 1/2 combo wrench..and perfected the right amount of snug to allow some hand force to adjust it if need be. I dont crank the distributor down like some people. Timing stays put.

Sure do love this obsession, uh I mean hobby..lmao

All my life I used the "then popular" 2- piece KD tools with the connector piece in the middle. 1/2 on one end, 9/16 on the other. When I had the part time job at the NAS Miramar auto hobby shop, I used that on every car you can think of. Fords, Poncho's, Olds, Chev, and Mopar. And a few more.

kd tools 2 piece distributor wrench - Google Search
I have one, too. The only problem I ever had with it was, that on some of them, it was not quite long enough, because the distributor was "way down there".

Everybody's car is different especially at this stage when we've been hot riding and modifying them... Your one shot covers all answers ridiculous...
Ok. It wasn't a "one shot". I just said use the right one. That's "whichever one" works......including one you might MAKE. There are literally hundreds of different distributor wrenches. I'm sure there's one "out there" somewhere that'll work for him.

What works for me now, is an 1/4" extension and a flex socket so simple so painless.
There you go. I love 1/4 drive stuff for some things. It works great. That's all my point was, was to use what works. Sounds like you're doin it.

Hahaha, I have two old Craftsman distributor wrenches. One is like 16in long and the other is like 12in long. The long one is my go-to tool for lifting the distributor drive gear, too. I love it when a tool works great in an unforseen application.

I agree. Over the years, I have picked up several distributor wrenches at swap meets. The good name brand are the best. One time on Ebay, the seller had a nice new wrench that was specifically for a small block Mopar. It is perfect, has the right bends in the right places. I never have looked at it that well for a brand name. I will check tomorrow.
Then you ain't usin the right one.

"Back in the day" I have bent quite a few wrenches for "special uses." Smaller wrenches, perhaps smaller than 11/16, you can bend with a decent propane torch and a vise.

To piggyback on the discussion and because I'm a lil dense. I need to rotate my housing 90/100° in order to access my tach drive. So I can simply get the rotar pointing to # 1 cylinder, rotate the housing where I want, then simply reset the plug wires in the correct firing order on the cap, correct?

IMG_20220702_192618657.jpg

Correct, set timing to TDC on the compression stroke. Then pull the intermediate shaft and rotate it so it points towards #1. It rotates slightly as it engages the cam gear so you have to account for that. Drop in the distributor and attach #1 plug wire to the post where the rotor is pointing, then install wires in order, 18436572.

To piggyback on the discussion and because I'm a lil dense. I need to rotate my housing 90/100° in order to access my tach drive. So I can simply get the rotar pointing to # 1 cylinder, rotate the housing where I want, then simply reset the plug wires in the correct firing order on the cap, correct?

View attachment 1715950815

-
Back