Drag Truck WINS Race! *and weight update

-
Sold some more off the 5.9, so were pretty close to free on this engine. Adding a 135.00 speedmaster intake, 220.00 regrind cam, 230.00 valve springs, locks, retainers, 48.00 little longer pushrods, 70.00 timing set, 50.00 gasket totaling 753.00 intake to oil pan and is really all anyone would really need to spend if they bought a decent engine to start with. Though not necessary, we are adding a new harmonic balancer (95.00) and the Odessa remanufactured heads (300.00) means I had them, although the heads we pulled off "looked great" and most likely very usable. With a carb, we'll be around 1250.00 from carb to pan. Again, a few places we could have cut cost (like heads and a cheaper timing set) and kept the cost below 900.00
  • This is not the planned engine for the build. Just something to have some fun with and some power to help us get the truck to work. I've never tried to set up a truck before to hook and go... LOL

Last edited:
Slightly different truck to yours but>

watch it from 41.38 in and at 1.28min in....I think its a mild 505ci? wedge...10.5 slick

Sold some more off the 5.9, so were pretty close to free on this engine. Adding a 135.00 speedmaster intake, 220.00 regrind cam, 230.00 valve springs, locks, retainers, 48.00 little longer pushrods, 70.00 timing set, 50.00 gasket totaling 753.00 intake to oil pan and is really all anyone would really need to spend if they bought a decent engine to start with. Though not necessary, we are adding a new harmonic balancer (95.00) and the Odessa remanufactured heads (300.00) means I had them, although the heads we pulled off "looked great" and most likely very usable. With a carb, we'll be around 1250.00 from carb to pan. Again, a few places we could have cut cost (like heads and a cheaper timing set) and kept the cost below 900.00
  • This is not the planned engine for the build. Just something to have some fun with and some power to help us get the truck to work. I've never tried to set up a truck before to hook and go... LOL

Should be fun. Do you have it together yet?

heads are on, but I don't work on it unless Jake's there. We'll probably get together sometime this weekend and get it mostly together.

Matt and I have been working on his together too, but his work actually picked up, so I have done some stuff myself.
All we need are u joints and a bottom rad hose for his. They should be here early next week.

I have had a few other things take priority, so we are behind our planned schedule.

Matt and I have been working on his together too, but his work actually picked up, so I have done some stuff myself.
All we need are u joints and a bottom rad hose for his. They should be here early next week.

I have had a few other things take priority, so we are behind our planned schedule.
What do you think Matt's truck would run in the 1/4 ?

What do you think Matt's truck would run in the 1/4 ?

Have to get it running first! He really needs a sure grip and tires. We only have 1/8 mile tracks around us. 3 within 1/2 hour to 45 minute drive.

I would be disappointed if it wont run at least mid 7s in the 1/8th mile, after tuning, traction, etc. He still has power steering and no weight loss yet. Our first goal is to get it back on the road, daily.

Have to get it running first! He really needs a sure grip and tires. We only have 1/8 mile tracks around us. 3 within 1/2 hour to 45 minute drive.

I would be disappointed if it wont run at least mid 7s in the 1/8th mile, after tuning, traction, etc. He still has power steering and no weight loss yet. Our first goal is to get it back on the road, daily.
Mid 7's would be mid 11's :)

Yep that is the same truck I just found the video of him describing his build stock 5.9 short block Hughes cam and 318 magnum heads. That he ported himself. That is extremely impressive now that I know that! The bar just got set my friend. Lol

Our engines are pretty close in the build, but his cam has more duration and a little more lift.
Here, I brought it over to the drag truck thread... before we end up with 3 pages of truck talk on the low dollar 318 thread.. LOL

My bad sorry
No, it's cool. I'm not sure that there is a Dodge truck on youtube I haven't viewed racing the 1/4 mile... LOL Trying to see traction set ups. That will be the booger for us to get down pat. No traction = no satisfaction (on the ET slip)

Yep that is the same truck I just found the video of him describing his build stock 5.9 short block Hughes cam and 318 magnum heads. That he ported himself. That is extremely impressive now that I know that! The bar just got set my friend. Lol

MEDIA=youtube]8Rj74X9_RZc[/MEDIA]
His engine will have more horsepower than our 5.9, simply off the cam he used. If we get the 5.9 to go 12's with gears and "somewhat" of an converter, we'll be delighted!!

I moved that post too. Since that is the time to beat in this project not the 318 project.

His engine will have more horsepower than our 5.9, simply off the cam he used. If we get the 5.9 to go 12's with gears and "somewhat" of an converter, we'll be delighted!!
I have no doubt yall can and will do it. What really amazed me was the fact that he turned 87mph in the 1/8th and only 104 in the quarter. To much gear maybe? Or is that just weight?

I have no doubt yall can and will do it. What really amazed me was the fact that he turned 87mph in the 1/8th and only 104 in the quarter. To much gear maybe? Or is that just weight?
Wind resistance mostly. If his drive train was in a car, I bet he'd have gained 21 mph the last 1/8 instead of 17 mph. That's been my experience with engines pulled from trucks and put into cars.

220 bucks to regrind a cam??? I just ordered a brand new 8620 roller cam for 380 shipped.

220 bucks to regrind a cam??? I just ordered a brand new 8620 roller cam for 380 shipped.
It wasn't my cam that was reground. What should I have paid with shipping for a cam that's been reground but still "new"? I did NOT want a billet cam that needed a bronze gear drive.

It wasn't my cam that was reground. What should I have paid with shipping for a cam that's been reground but still "new"? I did NOT want a billet cam that needed a bronze gear drive.
I still do not understand how they regrind cams it has been explained to me but I still dont understand it. How can you take a cam with a 420 lift remove material and get a larger lift seems likes witchcraft to me.

I still do not understand how they regrind cams it has been explained to me but I still dont understand it. How can you take a cam with a 420 lift remove material and get a larger lift seems likes witchcraft to me.
They take the center down so the lifter sits further down on the cam. Then, when the lobe comes around it lifts the lifter further up the hole. This is why often longer push rods are needed

They take the center down so the lifter sits further down on the cam. Then, when the lobe comes around it lifts the lifter further up the hole. This is why often longer push rods are needed
Ohhhhhhhhh omg that makes sense! Your the only person to ever explain that and I understand. Lol

What kinda shape qualify as being able to regrind? I wish I would have known this 20 years ago I can't tell you how many cams I have threw in a scrap pile because they where a factory cam or a little rusty. What all can they change by regrinding it? I'm assuming the ls stays the same? I have a couple factory 318 cams in a scrape pile that I never hauled off but I'm sure they are rusty. The journals are probably unusable

What kinda shape qualify as being able to regrind? I wish I would have known this 20 years ago I can't tell you how many cams I have threw in a scrap pile because they where a factory cam or a little rusty. What all can they change by regrinding it? I'm assuming the ls stays the same? I have a couple factory 318 cams in a scrape pile that I never hauled off but I'm sure they are rusty. The journals are probably unusable
I'm not a pro on it, but they can completely change the lift/duration etc. Not sure to what extent they can go

One thing they cannot move a bunch is the LSA. That is why Matt's is on a 112.

Brian's is on a 109, but he bought the core from Ken at Oregon. Ken said some years had tighter LSAs, and I should have written it down...

Oh, and I plan on moving Old Yeller up by the shop today...

-
Back