Dyno testing a stock(?) 1972 440

-
Why are we talking about compression in a low compression 440 thread.
I believe IQ posted this thread for that very reason LOW COMPRESSION budget build.

Because some people on cannot STAND when others are successful doing things differently from the way they do it, so they have to throw the piece of candy on the ground and dirty it up for everybody.

You have a point, I must admit. Had I stuck with one project, I could build a much more costly build for sure. But how many of us have only one?
You can echo that 9x in my canyon.... LOL

Truth of the matter, I love multiple projects :) It's how I enjoy the hobby

Well here's a back in the day (1989) low budget build I did with a 440-6pk motor for the race car with .039" f/pro's so it was prob only around 9.5>9.8:1? with bone stock 906's, I had the idea to go up in the CR dept. at a later date once I was a bit more flushed with money so ordered the Comp Cams 290@.050, .650/.650" sft cam and as we know this cam requires 12.5:1, 5000 stall/gears etc. well the CR hike never happened as funds didn't allow but I did have a 4800stall and 4.88's, that stock motor made 460 f/wheel track Not dyno hp (elec w/pump-no alternator) with a s*it Team G intake and an 850DP, 2" f/wells, nothing amazing I know but it ran good with that big cam, changed nothing else but some bv 260-ish cfm 906's and power went up to 527 basing all this on weight/mph, how much faster it would've gone@12.5:1 well we'll never know, certainly not .5+ in the 1/4.

Great thread IQ,

I just ported two sets of 516 heads for a 383 and a 413.
The 383 is gonna be high comp and the 413 very low lol.
But after seeing this thread, it’s not all bad news for the
Have done many 516 heads in the past, ‘cheap and cheerful’.
But I never realised till this week, there are DIFFERENT 516 castings!
It seems all the ones I had before were POO till now?
The biggest problem was the crappy exhaust port, and every time you enlarge them, yep you go through into water!
I can’t work out why they is different after all these years?
I have a rusty 66 pair with crap ports.

Now a 64 pair and 65 pair, with what I would call 915 exhaust ports (almost), whooppee.

When folks were saying that 516’s are coolio, I was thinking HOW???

Now totally outta da blue, I have picked up two decent pairs AT Last...

Last edited:
Sorry to be so late Doc. If you mean mine they are in post #44.
Jim I followed your low comp builds because planning to do that for my cruising car and I must say THANKS VERY MUCH for all the wonderful info you have provided to the community. Without some guidance and direction from you as well as some other well known members like Dwayne, we wouldn't be able to do as well. Really appreciate it. Have a great day

-
Back