Dyno testing a stock(?) 1972 440

-
That's it I'm gonna put the mopar 509 in my 78 D300. It's pretty much the same engine but keeping the 906 heads , I took it from a 18 second truck(stock 78 440) to a 16 flat with headers, intake ,3310 holley ,msd,and tuning the timing thanks for the info.

Changed my mind and order a cam from Tim with bullet cams. 212 dur/ and 480 lift at 50. Guess we will see how it goes

Still has stock intake & 600 carb, right? I hope that's next. Ooooh, I can't wait. Actually, my son and I
did very similar. Used an RV cam, CH4B(I think) manifold, 750 Holley, ignition tuned to advance
immediately, 2000 stall, 3.23 gears in a '73 a Charger. Went like hell and drove great.

Oops, didn't see this was so old. Ok, laugh it up. But still want to see
rest of it.

Want more fun? We have a 2bbl 400 for a '72 pickup going on the dyno very soon.

If my son saw this he would be mad at me for not letting him soup up the '76 motorhome
engine we put in his Charger. What can I say, I thought it was just a "grunt" motor! That's
ok- ran pretty damn good, anyway. Would light up Mickey 50's at anything less than 40 mph.

Stick that in a well prepped Dart and run solid 12s and never break anything.

when removing the so I thought was the stock cam I found a mopar purpleshaft from what I could tell was the mopar bb 430ish lift cam. went ahead and installed the bullet cam and got it tuned in started g-tec testing and the truck has been roughly 2.5-3 tenths slower i'm back in the 16.30s , so I put a 750 double pumper and the truck seams to like it but the times are no better and little lazy when towing also does no tlike as much timing as before sorry for the slow reply

Excellent thread, ....my old '69 Race Cuda with a stock 440-6 bottom end, a SFT cam with stock 906 heads ran a best of 11.23@118....changed nothing else but installed mildly ported 906's w/2.14-1.81's (didn't know the flow) and went 10.71@125, was around 9.8:1CR with fel-pro .039's, at Santa Pod for both runs.....just for some added real life info.....can give further spec on car if required, just didn't want to bore you guys too much.

I reread this post, I'm glad our members take time and make post like this for us I really appreciate it . But wondering if we seen this in a magazine article everyone would be calling it bull ****. Maybe those articles aren't to far off the mark after all.
Low power factory V8 have a lot of hidden potential only needing basic hot rodding to get it out. Cam, Carb, Exhaust

I hit reply instead of edit my bad lol

cam/carb/exhaust will obviously help, but it isn't going to do that much if you don't put decent flowing heads on there that flow much better than stock at .500", thats really where its at as can be seen by the figures I posted above (increase of 50ish hp) and as the dyno results show previously. Be interesting to see how much more power that 7.8:1 motor would've made with heads that flowed in the 280's at .500.

cam/carb/exhaust will obviously help, but it isn't going to do that much if you don't put decent flowing heads on there that flow much better than stock at .500", thats really where its at as can be seen by the figures I posted above (increase of 50ish hp) and as the dyno results show previously. Be interesting to see how much more power that 7.8:1 motor would've made with heads that flowed in the 280's at .500.

I'm just saying I don't know how many times on this site I've seen people say a cam swap ain't gonna give you 30/40/50 plus hp on a stock ish motor this swap made 75 hp.

Yes it all in the heads and most engine stock heads have lots of untapped power except /6 they don't have much to give even ported. That's why this cam swap made 75 hp if he did the head swap first the cam would of made over a 100 hp.

Last edited:
I take the magizines with a grain of salt. Not that I think there full of **** but wonder about repeatability and the reality of some builds.

I'm not in board with the parts used and results being inflated for the "paid sponsors."
I am annoyed buy the near "Edelbrock only" use though.

I'm just saying I don't know how many times on this site I've seen people say a cam swap ain't gonna give you 30/40/50 plus hp on a stock ish motor this swap made 75 hp.

I think it's much more subjective though. I'll add I tend to be a pessemist when it comes to expectations...lol
Posting engine dyno testing is primarilly an exercise in promotion. Precious little about a dyno testing cell mimicks that engine in a real car. Dynos are tools only. It is very easy to show a 500hp 340 on a dyno. It's much harder reality to show a time slip saying the engine makes 400hp at the crank based on MPH and weight.
From a bone stock cam, to a performance cam, with no other changes, may net huge, or may not. The person asking mave have a mechanical reason why the cam they're using doesn't work (like the shorblock and/or heads are whipped or it's in wrong or not matched with springs or they can't tune). Or that poster has a performance engine and thinks a jump from a moderate cam to a large cam will gain that. Most times huge gains are simply not possible by only changing one part of the system.
It's not impossible. But is certainly improbable.

Posting engine dyno testing is primarilly an exercise in promotion. Precious little about a dyno testing cell mimicks that engine in a real car. Dynos are tools only. It is very easy to show a 500hp 340 on a dyno. It's much harder reality to show a time slip saying the engine makes 400hp at the crank based on MPH and weight.

Too bad more people don't realize this. Everyone likes those big dyno numbers for **** swingin purposes.

hey IQ52 have you ever turned the pistons around test for the gains i know it would be small gain but i always wanted to know. i know smokey talked about it a bit

The only reason I would want to see Shitlash or a Dumpr cam numbers would be to see that they don't make any more power than any other "good" match for the engine. I think they are mostly marketing hype.

Somebody disagreed with this......and they were right.

On the Engine Masters show on Motor Trend they did a dyno test of a motorhome 440, IIRC Steve Dulcich chose one of the Whiplash/Thumpr-type cams because the specs worked out for a super-low-compression engine with stock heads. Seems like he was right that thing put out some serious power with just a cam, headers, intake and carb, I want to say a bit over 400 HP and 470 lb-ft? With a compression ratio in the 7's...

-
Back