Dyno Vs.Drag Strip Testing

-
LOL.... so much wrong and things taken out of context. Ha! Trying to figure HP ratings using ET slip is just ballpark at best. And trying to use the dyno HP rating to figure the ET is just ballpark at best. If a guy swapped converters and dropped 4 tenths, how much HP did he gain??? << This example is why using ET slips to figure HP is skeptical at best.
MPH is what is used for HP figures, not ET.

MPH is what is used for HP figures, not ET.
I know, but a bad converter can cost you MPH on the ET slip (notice I said "slip" in both posts) :D . I was also burned by a GER converter. When I swapped out the GER, the ET dropped a lot and my MPH went up too. So how much HP did I gain by swapping converters??? My MPH went up about 3 mph if my memory serves me correctly, so I had to gain HP (didn't touch the engine, though....)

I know, but a bad converter can cost you MPH on the ET slip (notice I said "slip" in both posts) :D . I was also burned by a GER converter. When I swapped out the GER, the ET dropped a lot and my MPH went up too. So how much HP did I gain by swapping converters??? My MPH went up about 3 mph if my memory serves me correctly, so I had to gain HP (didn't touch the engine, though....)
This post proves how valuable a baseline engine dyno # is. :thumbsup:

This post proves how valuable a baseline engine dyno # is. :thumbsup:
Correct. I have nothing against dyno's, like YR said, it's a tool and report card. The ET slip is also a tool and report card. But it's the entire car that has to work to get the most of the engine, and that can't be blamed on the dyno or ET slip. The owner owns that ... LOL

LOL.... so much wrong and things taken out of context. Ha! Trying to figure HP ratings using ET slip is just ballpark at best. And trying to use the dyno HP rating to figure the ET is just ballpark at best. If a guy swapped converters and dropped 4 tenths, how much HP did he gain??? << This example is why using ET slips to figure HP is skeptical at best.
what type of headers is that on the blue car and what size nice headers

Uh oh the rails up ahead don’t quite look right....oh ****!

Well I think we all have a good understanding on what it takes to actually have a good well oiled machine !! Whether you dyno your engine or you don’t... At some point and time you are going to run your car to it’s limits ... And yes if you have a bad converter, a bad anything in the drivetrain , suspension or anywhere in your car . Yes it will affect the running of the car !! I thought that point was just a given !! Apparently not ! My bad.... I will concede to all that a engine dyno is a very good tool ! But also understand how important that track runs are the best dyno there is . Yellow Rose is 100% right about bad converters, or bad anything!! For me I really don’t care what a dyno says. For me it’s all about how fast I can make my car go down a 1/8 or 1/4 strip !! That’s what I was trying to say ! And I’ll go out on a
Limb and say that is what we all Or most of us want !! Didn’t mean to affend anyone ! Especially Yellow Rose as I learned through this post this is what he apparently does for a living ! So if I understand this correctly I do apologize to you Yellow Rose !! And to anyone else that does dyno work for a living ! Or for the folks that do not have the ability to tune their on !! Nothing wrong with that ! Just saying ! I’ve been real fortunate to have the ability to tune my own car !! Guess I shouldn’t be so brazen about it !! Lots of different ways to get the job done guys ! Do you have to have a dyno to have a hard running strong car ? No you don’t ! Could a dyno make it easier ? That really depends on a lot of factors. But yes if all is good and the right person doing it !! Yes it can !! Maybe I have explained myself better this time !

Well I think we all have a good understanding on what it takes to actually have a good well oiled machine !! Whether you dyno your engine or you don’t... At some point and time you are going to run your car to it’s limits ... And yes if you have a bad converter, a bad anything in the drivetrain , suspension or anywhere in your car . Yes it will affect the running of the car !! I thought that point was just a given !! Apparently not ! My bad.... I will concede to all that a engine dyno is a very good tool ! But also understand how important that track runs are the best dyno there is . Yellow Rose is 100% right about bad converters, or bad anything!! For me I really don’t care what a dyno says. For me it’s all about how fast I can make my car go down a 1/8 or 1/4 strip !! That’s what I was trying to say ! And I’ll go out on a
Limb and say that is what we all Or most of us want !! Didn’t mean to affend anyone ! Especially Yellow Rose as I learned through this post this is what he apparently does for a living ! So if I understand this correctly I do apologize to you Yellow Rose !! And to anyone else that does dyno work for a living ! Or for the folks that do not have the ability to tune their on !! Nothing wrong with that ! Just saying ! I’ve been real fortunate to have the ability to tune my own car !! Guess I shouldn’t be so brazen about it !! Lots of different ways to get the job done guys ! Do you have to have a dyno to have a hard running strong car ? No you don’t ! Could a dyno make it easier ? That really depends on a lot of factors. But yes if all is good and the right person doing it !! Yes it can !! Maybe I have explained myself better this time !
LOL... this was actually a funny read. Many consider the ET slip "truth of the arrow". I, too, measure my car against it's own ET slip. But lets just get one thing straight, you say you don't need a dyno to have a strong running car, but you don't need to make a pass at the track to have a strong running car either. And in the end, many cars that can turn a 12 flat on the track can't turn a 13 flat on the street because they don't have their slicks and a prepped surface. There are all kinds of ways to stack bacon.... LOL

How else would you know if you 318 make 500 hp?

Exactly. Many guys have no idea what they make for horsepower, but they look at the time slip and say “well ****, I’m running the ET for my MPH so I’m making *** horsepower” but that is not the case.

If you can build a 500 HP 408 and not do it with a 318 you should take up garden golf.

It’s not that hard.

Exactly. Many guys have no idea what they make for horsepower, but they look at the time slip and say “well ****, I’m running the ET for my MPH so I’m making *** horsepower” but that is not the case.

If you can build a 500 HP 408 and not do it with a 318 you should take up garden golf.

It’s not that hard.
3 cfm's per HP. So, I have 1200 cfm's on top my 318, she sounds clean so it must be using all of that, giv'n me about 400 hp with a factory stock block 318. Right?
:lol:

3 cfm's per HP. So, I have 1200 cfm's on top my 318, she sounds clean so it must be using all of that, giv'n me about 400 hp with a factory stock block 318. Right?
:lol:

There is a thread going on right now and the OP didn’t dyno his stuff.

I can’t believe people still argue against dyno time.

LOL... this was actually a funny read. Many consider the ET slip "truth of the arrow". I, too, measure my car against it's own ET slip. But lets just get one thing straight, you say you don't need a dyno to have a strong running car, but you don't need to make a pass at the track to have a strong running car either. And in the end, many cars that can turn a 12 flat on the track can't turn a 13 flat on the street because they don't have their slicks and a prepped surface. There are all kinds of ways to stack bacon.... LOL

To be the fastest you can be you definitely need runs at the track ! That’s your only way or simplest way to get your baseline ! Then start tuning your car to go faster ! Been doing it since I was a teenager!! I was really lucky! I had a dad that was awesome at it ! Rip dad ! Sure miss him !

Really enjoying the new book “Chrysler’s Motown Missile” and really like these couple of paragraphs. Dyno Schmyno, take it to the track and let’s see what ya got!:elmer:

View attachment 1715583849
I revert back to my original post and original intent on highlighting how impressive it is. The attachment some may not have been able to read.....focusing on the paragraph where Ted Spehar notes that “he never had an engine dyno in those early years. After all, the team wanted real-world data for performance, AND THAT MEANT TRACK TIME!!! The Ramchargers never had a Dyno”.........Their successes up to that time with out a Dyno was and still is impressive. You know it is too.

I revert back to my original post and original intent on highlighting how impressive it is. The attachment some may not have been able to read.....focusing on the paragraph where Ted Spehar notes that “he never had an engine dyno in those early years. After all, the team wanted real-world data for performance, AND THAT MEANT TRACK TIME!!! The Ramchargers never had a Dyno”.........Their successes up to that time with out a Dyno was and still is impressive. You know it is too.

That was and is my whole point !! It obviously can be done ! And done very well ! And is still being done in 2020 !!

Very few people outside of the OEM’s and a few shops had engine dyno’s back then. They didn’t have flow benches either.

Doesn’t mean they knew the MPH matched the power output of the engine.

The dyno gives you the baseline set up for the dyno. Had many conversations with people that it made best power here on dyno, regarding jetting/timing/etc. When it goes in the car, those loads may change and the tune up needs some tweaking... but the dyno says otherwise.

Like a lot of things, tire pressure for another, let the car tell you what it wants, but start out in the area of a good baseline. The tire pressure is another with drag radials where guys run them like a slick with too low pressure. Helped plenty with pump the tire up and see what it does. Same deal, more pressure, less drag. If the car 60' the same at 20psi as it does 14, run 20... Seen plenty pick up significantly with more pressure than most think they should have.

-
Back