Early A mild 360 build

-
been there, had a ball with the AFB/340 auto/360 4bbl (same cam) in an otherwise stock 340 in my first 65. 273 manifolds on a 360 may not even seal so give us the casting numbers of the logs. Jeez, I could bark them into 2nd with a cheap Gil Younger shift kit on my stock (well it was a 67 trans as I changed it for a better shifter and driveshaft) and 3.55's. Then I went to a MP 175K convertor, 3.91's and a little more cubes (111 to be exact) along with alot more exhaust. Yadda yadda, Im back to a big small block again. These cars are very light and respond well to more than 273 power. Dont fog your decision on a few guys like me, call a cam shop and tell them what you want and what you got. Use 2900 as your weight.

I'm conferring with Oregon Cams about getting one of their grinds similar to the MP #205 grind.

Can you be more specific on the specs?
We have done the #2120 on 114 sep cam for other customers looking for the 205 cam and as far as I know they were happy with them.
221/227 @ .050”, 276/309 adv, .438”/.456” lift, 112 sep

We have done the #2120 on 114 sep cam for other customers looking for the 205 cam and as far as I know they were happy with them.
I assume this is the statement from Oregon? The other customers were using that cam with what gears and in what use? It is a fairly meaningless statement without a lot more context IMHO.

Just my view..... it' not what I would go with for the use and engine as described.

I corresponded with Ken and gave him the parameters I was working with regarding engine, vehicle, gearing etc. I mentioned the 340 four speed (#205) cam. He recommended this.

Personally, I wouldn't run that 2120.
The 221/227 are good .050 numbers. But not for a stock 8.4cr long-block.
The lifts are also good , and so is the 112LSA.
But man the 276 intake duration will kill the low-speed torque.Let me rephrase that; it will absolutely kill the low speed torque.
In at 110, the ICA will come in around 68*, and the Dcr will drop to 6.56@123psi, with an 8.4Scr engine; and your engine may not even make 8.4, so the actual Dcr could be even worse. I would stay far away from that cam. 276 less 221 =55* ramps. That is just too slow. It might require a 2600 or a 2800 TC to be driveable.And the fuel economy will be atrocious, compared to any power increase.
You need a cam with 50* ICA up to maybe 54*. A 54 * ICA on an 8.4 360, might get you a 7.2Dcr@140 psi. I wouldn't go any bigger for your intended useage.
Oh wait, that's the ICA of the stock cam! lol.
Ok here you go; That's right about the 54* ICA, but you can manipulate the other numbers to get it. For example; you can spec an LSA of 108* on a 262 cam. This,in at 103, will get you that same 54*, but the 262 is 1.5 sizes bigger than the 252stocker. The 108 LSA will concentrate the power on the peak, which with a one-gear run to 50ish mph is perfect. So then, all that remains is to get the lift up to the max that the heads will handle,and to whack the valves open as fast as the grinder dares go. Then run whatever springs the grinder tells you to, and limit the rpm to whatever he says, to keep the lifters on the lobes.And finally run a minimum lifter preload, so that if you forget to shift on time, the darn thing will still idle with the lifters all pumped up.
Now this cam will keep your bottom end as strong as it is now, allowing you to keep the factory TC (it is a 2250 right, and not the stock 1750 teener TC,right.) And you get to keep the 3.23s. Don't worry about the TC for now.
Then from about 3200 to 3600 that cam will start to announce it's presence. But it will be done early with a strong pull to the peak, and then you can stretch it out some. Get the anti pump-up lifters.
Anyway that's just one recipe,
I might chose an even tighter LSA; say a 104, and a 268* intake duration.In at 100* this will also get you a 54* ICA. This is more a 4-speed cam but again in a 1- gear run to 50ish mph, who cares about the narrow powerband! This will bring a tremendous boost at the power peak with no sogginess below the stall to 3000 zone.This cam might have overlap of 64* so now headers will really make a difference, a very powerful difference as the overlap is kindof a supercharger effect.
Yeah, I like that one.
Of course if you were to get a 2800TC, you could sacrifice a lot of lo-speed torque, and so run an even bigger cam on that same 104LSA..... decisions, decisions,decisions.
Keep in mind I have assumed a 1-gear run with 3.23s to about 50mph at about 5400rpm, with that 268*,lol.When you shift, that 904 will drop from 5400 to 3200, and that 104LSA cam is back to square one, lol; I think I can, I think I can, I think I can........

Last edited:

Looks a little heavy on the duration. If you like the 2120 cam, what about the Mopar Performance P4452761 cam. Similar lift and less duration. Works with your low compression. I have one in my basically stock 360.

DSC01979.jpg

The longer advertised duration is my concern too for how the OP describes the engine/car use. It's gonna have a low RPM bog; the cam seller has not told you that, I bet. Look again at their statement; the customers who were happy were looking for the 205 cam; again, that's meaningless without knowing what they were putting it in and how they were using it. If they put in a 2800 RPM stall TC, and took it to the track each weekend, or revved the engine at ever sign, it would be great. It conflicts with the low rear gear and the stated use.

There is a BIIIIG difference in the low RPM response in something like the XE256 and the cam described, when you have a low static CR to start with. AJ has run all the numbers above and is correct. Be prepared to:
- live with a low RPM bog
- or put in a higher stall TC and rev it if you want to move away briskly
- and watch your fuel economy go away

Nothing being said here is new or unknown. Standard stuff and info.

-
Back