Early vs. Late dusters

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I am helping a little cousin to getting into mopars. (He's 20 and might join here)

I located a duster for sale from a semi local guy I've known for years.

There are 2 dusters for sale.

1975 duster with a transplanted 360 and auto on the column. It was a slant car but has an unknown 360. It starts runs, drives and stops with factory disks. The interior is ratty with a fold down rear seat. It's a solid runner and hardly any rust at all which is typical in my area which is VERY dry. It has a little rust behind the wheels but that is it. Real nice and sun baked.

Car number 2

1972 duster with a dead 318. (Missing heads and intake) and has been open for years. Twister package with a Sharktooth grille. The interior is pretty decent (sun baked but original)
Drums all around and body is in the same shape except it needs a fender and maybe a door.

Both are the same price and he has the money to get ONE. Would it be better for a 20 year old to get a car he can drive now and service or would it be smarter to get the car that is going to have more value but needs more time before the road is a reality? He is as mechanically inclined as any 20 year old and has a college kid budget (works at McDonald's)

Last edited:
Get the ‘72. More return on investment if he decides to sell in the future. The early dusters tend to bring a little more money from what I have seen.

I would say buy the '72 and drop in a 318 2bbl right away. He will see how easy it is to swap, get the brakes working well, and he'll learn something, and you'll have the car on the road in a week.

I would lean towards the 72 also. Better looking and more sought after. Unless he needs a work in progress project, then of course the 75. You likely have many of the parts he'd need in your hoard also, yes? This is great Raini. Nice to see you doing this.

72 get's my vote as well. ALready a Teen car. You probably have one to swap in and on the road we go. Go through the brakes, suspension, lights and cruise.

For a broke 20 yr old? Get the 75, it’s running and has better brakes. It’s technically a safer car with the big bumpers and crash bars in the doors. Just seems like a better pick for a young person driving an old car.

Buy the driver!

Bonus, it’s big bolt pattern and has disk brakes already! Much more streetable car. The ‘72 will cost a ton of money to get back on the road.

Get the beaker

The better brakes and running engine seal the deal

Plus, if you start him in a 72, he's got nothing room to grow

start him in an ugly beaker and when he whipes out he can put a 71 clip on

Good times

I like the 75 here. Better lookin car, IMO and has features the other probably does not. Runs and drives so he can work on "other stuff" rather than have to worry about getting it running immediately, since it already is. The 73 is my dead favorite Duster, but the later ones are real close.

As an owner of a 70 that I bought at his age, and being a broke kid. Life got in the way and I’ve still not got that thing going. (One day it will be a drag car.) If I had the choice of a running car or one that needs work, I’d buy the running car. And this is from a guy that has and loves 72 as seen in my avatar.

My first car was a 72 Duster. But it was running and driving. Heck, it was 1979 when I bought it, lol.

I'd go with the '75 for him.

Running driving car gets my vote, way too easy to lose interest in something that doesn't run, needs constant work, and is a money pit, especially if he's not really "into" old cars. The 72 is arguably a better looking car styling wise, and might be more valuable one day, if it isn't totaled or beaten to death first, but the 75 has more to offer from the start.

Running driving car gets my vote, way too easy to lose interest in something that doesn't run, needs constant work, and is a money pit, especially if he's not really "into" old cars. The 72 is arguably a better looking car styling wise, and might be more valuable one day, if it isn't totaled or beaten to death first, but the 75 has more to offer from the start.
I agree. It's just a no brainer.

easyer to get hooked driving v/s spending lotta cash just to hear it run!!! plus this is Abodys,..360 over the 318 erry time!! plus the styling differences wont matter near as much to him as it dose us older folks!!

I go 75 Duster runner driver all the way, the front has grown on me but still can't stand the beaker darts.

Buy the running driver with a good motor, 100%. Trying to build enthusiasm for a dead car is a non-starter.
Get the 75.
Nothing can discourage a new enthusiast faster than a project that is too daunting.
Disc brakes are a necessity in today's world. The '75 already has them in place and working.
The 360 is the top LA series engine that many people aim for. V8 mounts, K member, transmission, exhaust system ALL cost money to obtain.
The cost to bring the '72 up to where the '75 model is already will take time and a bit bite out of the wallet.
ALL Dusters are good looking cars and will sell quickly if they are priced right. Personally, I never look at resale value when I am interested in a car. I buy what I want to own.
I like the 1972 exterior styling better but I also love the 73-76 models. The '75 bumpers can be swapped for 1973 versions for less weight and a sleeker appearance.

you'll have the car on the road in a week.
1 bee essss.png

1 FPP.JPG

In one week.

1 HHuh.jpg

In one week.

1 huh 1.gif

He will see how easy it is to swap, get the brakes working well, and he'll learn something.

1 huh 02.png

1 huh 4.jpg

1 no, just no.jpg

I go 75 Duster runner driver all the way, the front has grown on me but still can't stand the beaker darts.

The Dodge beakers are horrible in my eyes but to each there own.

@Princess Valiant
Getting the ‘75 should be the “NO DUH!” move.
I’m with the lot here for the later year ride. It runs and drive’s already is a home run. The fold down rear seat is a very cool thing to have. I owned one myself. Also a moon roof car with a manual shifting trans between the buckets. A 318 car.

I'd get the 72 all day long over the later.
Brakes are easy to convert to disc, Twister is a 2 year only option.
Sharktooths look awesome.
The 72
Body looks better in my opinion.
72 was a 1 year only , still has cool front end, has 72 only tail lights and the interior has more metal then the later years.
You will be able to help and mentor your cousin through it and turn him into a solid mopar man.
Can't go wrong with either car.

Last edited:
I'd get the 72 all day long over the later.
Brakes are easy to convert to disc, Twister is a 2 year only option.
Sharktooths look awesome.
The 72
Body looks better in my opinion.
72 was a 1 year only , still has cool front end, has 72 only tail lights and the interior has more metal then the later years.
You will be able to help and mentor your cousin through it and turn him into a solid mopar man.
Can't go wrong with either car.
But are you a new driver on a Burger King budget?

-
Back