Easiest 727/904 rebuild thread...

-
Now this is where you just keep close track maybe take pictures and definitely laying things out exactly the way they came out. You'll start pulling some different gears that mesh in between each other and they'll mesh right back in with each other. There's some brass washer spacers that have three little tangs on them that go in certain grooves. I'll explain when putting it back together how to get these in how to make them stay just basically coating them in Vaseline so they stick where you want them to stick while you get things put together. There's probably three four different pieces that come out at this point.
I get to the rear drum that the rear band is is wrapped around and you can take both those out at the same time together and put them together...
IMG_20230201_114115627.jpg

IMG_20230201_114121098_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_114206380_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_114335649.jpg

IMG_20230201_114225389_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_114147401_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_114323658_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_114316398_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_114415701.jpg

IMG_20230201_114211185_HDR.jpg

Okay all laid out one thing after the next up to this point. Remember that was taking the front pump off and one snap ring...
IMG_20230201_114458522_HDR.jpg

At this point the guts are out of it and I'll post a picture of what it looks like from behind with the bolt on the housing on the back. And the Sprague springs and rollers from the inside. I usually just leave the stuff in you don't want to pick out all those rollers and springs what a nightmare to get back in... What I do is I do my complete cleanup and scrub down of the case and then when everything's picking span and clean I fogged those springs and rollers out with carb cleaner to get all the grit and dirt and anything that's in there out hit it with air and not too hard so you don't blow the springs out and then hit it with some kind of lubricant to lubricate it...
IMG_20230201_114553356_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_114540920_HDR.jpg

It really is as easy and essentially a piece of cake to disassemble one of these as is being shown. :thumbsup:

Okay now those band accumulators The One towards the back which I believe is for the reverse you can push in on it almost by hand but I use a little piece of metal and a clamp and just put very little pressure on it nothing really heavy just enough to push it back away from the snap ring so you can pop it off. Pretty much the same thing for the front one as well pull those out and bag and tag them for their position..
IMG_20230201_115435939_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_115558783_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_115012321_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_115200457_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_115301189_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_115016748_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_115022467_HDR.jpg

Hey, @j par, I rebuilt the 4 speed in my 69 340 Barracuda myself. I used a printout from my assembly manual and a tech article from a Mopar Muscle Magazine. I really took my time, and I found it to be quite easy. HOWEVER, I was always afraid to touch an automatic. I have been told that they are easier than a 4 speed. What say you?

Okay here we are completely emptied out for the most part and piles of parts LOL.. from here I'm going to work the next 2 out of 3 days but after that I plan on getting on the case and tail housing. It's going to take a lot of wire brushing and scrubbing to get those two things clean exteriorly on the interior they're not bad. The tail housing of course will get a new rear main seal and a bushing the case is just going to get a good scrubbing.
From there I'll set those aside we clean off my bench and start cleaning and replacing any parts on each subjection one at a time forward on to clean towels as they're been worked on and cleaned and keeping everything and strict order. Then I'll put clean paper towels again where they are now and put them at the back of the bench all cleaned up and refurbished and then with the clean freshly painted case reassemble everything. But all this will be in my next post..
IMG_20230201_120151260_HDR.jpg

I haven't spelled checked or checked my voice command so things could be a little cajumbled LOL..

i appreciate this project , i was an auto mechanic in my younger years , but we never did auto trans repair. it was always sent out. i am a retired medical equipment sales guy now ,but still work on my early Mopar projects. I bought the books from Tom Hand and Carl Monroe. these are great, but its nice to see someone actually doing one at home on the bench with home made pullers and what ever. don't let the critics side track you on this . if good info is coming from experienced guys, thats fine. lets keep it/make it a positive experience so we can learn some thing! ( we all didn't work in a tranny shop)

It really is as easy and essentially a piece of cake to disassemble one of these as is being shown. :thumbsup:
And of course is both me and you know Craigslist is full of people who took their cars apart. Just about everybody's an expert at taking them apart LOL we'll get this one back together though...

So let me make this clear about this 904... I'm not doing anywhere near a full rebuild just freshening up anything that looks like it should be replaced. Definitely front pump seal definitely rear main seal and the pump gasket and the tail housing gasket. Everything else is going to go through a bit of an inspection and anything that looks like it can be reused will be. This isn't a transmission I plan to keep for long it's just for a temporary project...
When I get back to the original 727 short shaft I plan to put behind the stroker motor in my personal restoration truck that is going to be almost everything internally replaceable new..

Mopar Sam has given me permission to go ahead and post this video that he made. It's more so to get the pump off and varies from some of the techniques that I use but I like it.
The difference here being where he takes his front band off and pulls everything out with the pump I under their hand tight in the front band so just the pump comes out by itself at first. That's about the only difference I can think of besides his technique... Thank you mopar Sam for this DIY video...

Mopar Sam has given me permission to go ahead and post this video that he made. It's more so to get the pump off and varies from some of the techniques that I use but I like it.
The difference here being where he takes his front band off and pulls everything out with the pump I under their hand tight in the front band so just the pump comes out by itself at first. That's about the only difference I can think of besides his technique... Thank you mopar Sam for this DIY video...
Honestly, I had never thought of tightening the band to hold everything in when the pump comes out. I will start doing it that way myself now. I think a combination of the 2 methods will be the better way.

Honestly, I had never thought of tightening the band to hold everything in when the pump comes out. I will start doing it that way myself now. I think a combination of the 2 methods will be the better way.
I always tighten the band especially if only doing a converter change. Crank the band down, pull the pump, change seal and bushing, slap it back together. Adjust band and roll:thumbsup:

Yay two knuckleheads make half a brain LOL...
Team tin man...

I don't think that valve body is compatible with that case. Probably why that trans was in the trash. Check the date code on the vb against the PK #. I always compare the imprint on the separator plate with the case. I bet yours doesn't match. You can't just swap valve bodies around without making sure they match.

Okay dammit. You're not gonna believe how easy and simple it is. I've tried to describe it on here before but a vid must be the only way.

I don't think that valve body is compatible with that case. Probably why that trans was in the trash. Check the date code on the vb against the PK #. I always compare the imprint on the separator plate with the case. I bet yours doesn't match. You can't just swap valve bodies around without making sure they match.
That's why RMVBs were made. I won't build a trans without one, or a transbrake.

I would still make sure they matched up. I don't know enough about RMVBs to take a chance.
I actually ran the trans case that I'm building with the RVMB that I will be using. Drove to work daily . You are right that not all VBs, will work in all years cases. I ran into that before. Some RMVBs are based off of the earlier vbs. I bought the wrong one once at a swap meet. It was different around the accumulator.

I do agree with the basis of this post. I spent years going to someone for trans builds and then got bold enough one day to tear into one with my friend who knew what he was doing. He always told me these are not hard to do. Now we are doing them all the time with more to come. A big thing is knowing what upgrades to make and where to spend your money when you decide to upgrade. I have watched many 727s go down the racetrack for a long time with nothing more than a Cheetah RMVB, bolt in 12 element sprag, good 2nd gear solid band, rear roller support, and accumulator blocker. No billet drum, no low band apply valve body, no 6 bolt 16 element sprag, no upgraded planeteries, nothing rollerized. There are still guys out there doing it successfully with a low budget 727. I always laugh when guys will talk crap about the 727 like it can't tolerate abuse.

Last edited:
-
Back