Edelbrock S.P.-2P. 318 2V Does it even exist??

-
I think they will accept either the big or small 2bbl crab, you just use the 2 bolt holes that line up. Seen alot of old Chevy 2 2bbl intakes that only used 2 bolt holes, one in front, opposite one in rear

I wouldn't trust just 2 bolts holding down my carb. You are asking for a vacuum leak!

funny how Good Year was the sponsor and no mainstream driver wanted to run them at 200.

Actually, they did. The vintage video is proof. It was going almost 203 into Turn 3.

On the Salt Flats in 1971 Isaac ran 217 on Goodyears.
Video proof of that too.

I vote for the 318 TQ
Offy Dual Port also works for its intended applications
velocity keeps the fuel In suspension

Alot of old GM 2bbl intakes only used 2. I've seen them that didn't even have the other 2 holes drilled

Actually, they did. The vintage video is proof. It was going almost 203 into Turn 3.

On the Salt Flats in 1971 Isaac ran 217 on Goodyears.
Video proof of that too.
It took some B drivers to compete at over 200 MPH to see if the Goodyears would hold up, after they proved they could, all the A list drivers jumped back on the bandwagon.

"...
In September 1969, when the Alabama International Motor Speedway--now the Talladega Superspeedway--was scheduled to open, most of NASCAR's big name drivers, including Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough and Bobby Allison, refused to drive.

Safety was the bone of contention, drivers protesting that their tires were not made to handle the 200-mph speeds on the high-banked tri-oval. They predicted the tires would shred.

Bill France, who ran NASCAR with an iron fist, responded by climbing into a Ford and running a few laps at 175 mph to demonstrate that what was safe for a 59-year-old retired racer should be good enough for those still active. The tire was one that Bobby Unser and Mario Andretti had campaigned on the U.S. Auto Club's stock car circuit.

When most of the regulars still refused, France rounded up drivers from NASCAR's Grand Touring series and the Automobile Racing Club of America to fill the field. The entry included 13 Winston Cup--then known as Grand National--regulars and 36 others, including little-known Richard Brickhouse, who earned his only Winston Cup victory... in a winged, purple Factory Dodge vacated by the regular driver, Chargin' Charlie Glotzbach. The car was nicknamed “Plum Crazy"..

For the next race, all the regulars returned...."

Tom Higgins' Scuffs: A Talladega anniversary – and that scary-fast Dodge

Last edited:
In July of 1969, the #88 Engineering Daytona routinely ran laps over 200 at the Chelsea Proving Grounds with Baker and Glotzbach each driving. Perhaps it was smoother than Talladega? They had no issues with the Goodyear tires.
One of the other issues not mentioned in that article is that Talladega was a lumpy track contributing to the pogo effect. Ford tested in August and Lee Roy actually got sick from it. Same happened to the MoPar guys around the 2 century mark.
The lumps were spaced such that at 200, the cars had a 4-5hz. input into the driver seat.
Under 200, like the 195 laps that Brickhouse ran, no issues.
An interesting physical phenomenon.
I believe the aerowarriors.com site has some Chrysler documentation on this problem.

-
Back