Electric guitar...

-
I had a porta 424, but gave it away around '98 when things started to go consumer level digital.

I still have a porta-01 I inherited from my uncle.

Did I miss the original comment on Tascam in this thread?

What I really miss is my Roland TR-505 drum mchine.

At one point I had two of them. gave one to the same guy that got my 424.
Can't for the life of me remember what happened to the other one.

Those are highly sought after now.
Apparently there are a LOT of 80's and 90's songs that use them.
They do have a distinctive sound, if your ear is trained to them.

I had a porta 424, but gave it away around '98 when things started to go consumer level digital.

I still have a porta-01 I inherited from my uncle.

Did I miss the original comment on Tascam in this thread?

What I really miss is my Roland TR-505 drum mchine.

At one point I had two of them. gave one to the same guy that got my 424.
Can't for the life of me remember what happened to the other one.

Those are highly sought after now.
Apparently there are a LOT of 80's and 90's songs that use them.
They do have a distinctive sound, if your ear is trained to them.
Yes I asked about it on the last page and got no answer but people started talking about building their own guitars and stuff and other stuff LOL.
Basically it's something you can put a CD in and slow down the music and pick section of it that you want to slow down and have it loop. I see on the internet where you can download apps that you can download URLs of YouTube videos but I just have my phone for the internet. I'm trying to get away from trying to learn songs on my phone it's just too hard to manipulate and I have to manually replay everything...
The little machine is 225 before I buy cds. I was just wondering if anybody had any practical experience with something like that and was it helpful?.,

I know you want info on the Tascam JPar, but the app I use is Anytune Pro+. It’s been very handy for me, but I’ll also route my Katana amp through my computer and do things that way. Not sure if that will help you?

The Anytune app will take songs you have in your phone and you will be able to slow it down to whatever you want and adjust for different keys and pitches.

Didn't go back the post but-

They used to make 1/2 speed cassette decks specifically for that.

I'd be tempted to "just" use a computer and a freeware program (like Audacity) and "half speed" mp3 files.

Zero cost.

half speed (in case you didn't know, again without reading the "tascam" post) makes everything exactly one octave lower, allowing you to keep the guitar tuned "standard".

I'd be tempted to "just" use a computer and a freeware program (like Audacity) and "half speed" mp3 files.

Zero cost.

half speed (in case you didn't know, again without reading the "tascam" post) makes everything exactly one octave lower, allowing you to keep the guitar tuned "standard".
And there lies my technology fall back I have never had a MP3 player and have no computers or anything but the cell phone.... Not that I'm not willing to learn but I'm afraid I'm going to open up yet another can of worms....

Well they are making vinyl again.
Get an old record player and slow the speed down.

Math doesn't work for record players.

Gotta be 1/2 speed, or I've also seen 1/4 speed for 128th note stuff!

Well they are making vinyl again.
Get an old record player and slow the speed down.
This machine will reduces the speed also allows it to sound quite the same instead of slurred. Also it loops separate sections so you can slowly speed them up and there are settings that speeded up 1% every time it replays...

^^
That's cool
I haven't played cover songs since the late 80's early 90's.
I learned others stuff then took the tricks I learned and started writing my own music.
We never had YouTube or any thing other than cassettes or albums.

Zero cost.

I have a few half speed Masters (LP's) but I don't think I have broken the seal and put them on the turntable.

Of course like I was saying there's not only the half speed, but being able to reloop sections at half speed continuously to get each little part down pack and eventually add them all together...
It just seemed like kind of a cool tool..

I have a few half speed Masters (LP's) but I don't think I have broken the seal and put them on the turntable.

That's not the way that works.

The master recording process was done at half, speed increasing the quality of the recording.

Usually this creates the need to have double the amount of media.

IE a single disk master recorded at "normal" speed would need two disks mastered at "half" speed.

It still plays at the same RPM setting on the phono.

I have seen a few "half speed" masters of 45's on 33 sized disks and some 33 sized disks that play at 45.

I have gotten on a kick of Les Pauls lately. I like the burst and flame tops and then when I see a blue one that matches my Swinger I get to thinking. What am I thinking, I don't even play.

Les Paul Blue Burst.jpg

Les paul.jpg

burst.jpg

300433936_10226837164770264_1169378831359697549_n.jpg

Les Paul burst and flames.jpg

My midlife crisis makes me look for a new beginning in life, and I want it to become the beginning of my personal music career. I don’t want to become a professional, but just learning to play the instrument has always been my dream that I haven’t managed to fulfil up until now.
I finally have the money and the time for exercise because I was too busy working in my 20s. If anyone of you is this age – don’t repeat my mistakes. You can earn all that money in the future, but you will never be in your 20s again.
Only now, I’m studying different types of guitar picks and guitars to choose the one that would fit me the most. Hope it’s not too late for me.
I can tell you fro personal experience that you can teach an old dog new tricks

View attachment 1716007415

She could be as ugly as a mud fence and from this vantage point, it wouldn't matter.

My midlife crisis makes me look for a new beginning in life, and I want it to become the beginning of my personal music career. I don’t want to become a professional, but just learning to play the instrument has always been my dream that I haven’t managed to fulfil up until now.
I finally have the money and the time for exercise because I was too busy working in my 20s. If anyone of you is this age – don’t repeat my mistakes. You can earn all that money in the future, but you will never be in your 20s again.
Only now, I’m studying different types of guitar picks and guitars to choose the one that would fit me the most. Hope it’s not too late for me.
Ah, the dilemma of which pick you use. Most guitar players I know use the heaviest pick they can find, it brings out the tone of the guitar. A thin, limp pick makes playing more of a struggle. Now, I have a few favorite picks, my go to pick is a Wegan heavy, 1.1mm, they come in a 3 pack for $15. They are a phenolic material and don’t wear out or break. Next up the line is my Blue Chip 1.1mm. This pick is the closest you can get to a pick that makes zero pick noise. Again made of a phenolic material, and they cost about $40 apiece. My top of the line, go to pick for big important gigs is my trusty old tortoise shell pick. Tortoise shell picks are the most coveted pick you can hope to find. The tone you get out of one is unmatched, and if you can even find one, it’s gonna set you back at least $100. They’re brittle, somewhat fragile, but once you use one, you will want to use it all the time.

I started this thread at the beginning of my journey... So I'm about 17-18 months in...
I took weekly half-hour lessons for the first year and have practiced 45 min. the first 6 months, 30 min. the next 6 months, and 15-20 this last 6 months with no lessons...
The last 2 months I've noticed both hands are starting to work together :thumbsup: ...
Going to start lessons again after the first of the year..
Just about right on schedule...
First 18 months "or so" ... Introductory..
Next stage... Beginner :D
Guitar - don't spend a lot of money until at least your second year... I would get one that inspires you...
For a beginner I bought a cheap variety pack and gravitated to a medium/heavy pick ..

-
Back