Engine machining costs??

-
When pricing that same work around Denver, it would be about twice that amount. So that is a bargain. It is amazing how much cheaper everywhere else is, makes me jealous. There is a 3 month wait to pay 2x as much and get less work done!

From a couple years ago.

$80 Hot tank
$225 Bore and Hone
$140 Square the deck
$50 Cam Bearing and Freeze plugs
$250 to balance the assembly
$175 line hone

don’t forget the 400.00-600.00 to assemble short block

I budgeted $1200.00 for the machine work on my short block. After I added new 11/32nd valves to my heads, pistons, new to me Crower rods it got to about $4,000. Still cheap.

There's machine work and then there's prep, prep is where the most money will be spent.
Sonic test, magnafluxing , machine work, pressure testing and prep is usually 2000-2500.

When pricing that same work around Denver, it would be about twice that amount. So that is a bargain. It is amazing how much cheaper everywhere else is, makes me jealous. There is a 3 month wait to pay 2x as much and get less work done!

From a couple years ago.

$80 Hot tank
$225 Bore and Hone
$140 Square the deck
$50 Cam Bearing and Freeze plugs
$250 to balance the assembly
$175 line hone
My son is in Denver I can’t believe how expensive it is out there. An apartment that is 600 a month here is 1500 out there. 300 k starting point for a half decent house. Might as well be California.

My son is in Denver I can’t believe how expensive it is out there. An apartment that is 600 a month here is 1500 out there. 300 k starting point for a half decent house. Might as well be California.

I wish California was as cheap as Denver. 300k buys you a rats nest under the freeway next to a homeless encampment. Rents $2500 for a 2 bedroom apt., which some might consider cheap... Same apartment would be $3000 this time last year.

the rest as posted don't seem too bad but one thing that always got me was what a machine shop charges for cam bearing and freeze plug install... for what the job entails it always seemed high.

I miss the day when I could rebuild a basic V8 for ~$800ish, about $450 machine work, $350 overhaul kit

That's how it's getting here in AZ, seems like everyone from Cali is flocking over here and changing stuff. Not for the better.

don’t forget the 400.00-600.00 to assemble short block
You are correct I called him back after I read all your responses he did the ballpark price in his head and forgot to add short block assembly price...another 450!! After reading what you’re paying I fell like I’m getting a good deal.so the total will be around 1700

You are correct I called him back after I read all your responses he did the ballpark price in his head and forgot to add short block assembly price...another 450!! After reading what you’re paying I fell like I’m getting a good deal.so the total will be around 1700

Well that’s cheaper than I would build a race shortblock for so if it’s done right it’s on the cheaper end of the scale. By time I file fit rings, mic and set clearances, clean the block, degree the cam, document all measurements, assembly rods and pistons, etc, I would make about what I make porting heads. Lol. Doing this for fun and having a good paying job always made picking and choosing a lot easier. Good luck with your build, keep us updated, and have FUN.

After doing several engines in the last year your $ 1200 price is similar to what I just got quoted as well in Los Angeles for assembly/light machining. Now, if you are looking into quality of the job and its your engine you plan to keep then do your research. There are pricier engine builders and the $ 1200 quote I got I am comfortable with but I also know the references and background of the two builders I use. My other builder is much higher $$$ but the quality, level of detail, extra engine detail(cleaning threads, measuring, inspection/Balancing) and experience on Mopar engines is worth it to me. I always pay for the Dyno as well so when thing don't go right its not on my dime.....and the builder knows that focus and doing it correct is key.

-
Back